Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

So I finally know what I want to do w/ my life!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 10:32 PM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I finally know what I want to do w/ my life!

I finally made a decision as to where I want to go and I have decided either SWAT, or some sort of private security firm. After I graduate from college w/ my degree in criminology, I plan on going in the military(undecided on which branch yet) and hoping to get into an elite division; Spec Ops, Rangers, Green Berets, etc. Any advice on which branch to shoot for, and more specifically which division. Depending on how my military career turns out, I may even stay in.

So my question is, what should I do now to best prepare myself to get into an elite division of the military once I join? Any advice at all is greatly appreciated.

Josh
Old 11-14-2006, 10:36 PM

Get your commission
Old 11-15-2006, 05:00 AM
rdc
Banned

Originally Posted by stock03
Get your commission
No doubt. I agree 100%. Enlisted is no way to go through the military when you could easily be a commissioned officer. oh yeah, and start a running ( jogging) regiment right now if you want to go spec ops. My very good friend is a SEAL and he said everyone at BUD's was already in peak physical condition and they had to run till the cows come home daily. Oddly enough, he said that most of the drop outs were for academic reasons not the physical part.. He also said that you gotta really,REALLY want it at all cost if you plan on making it through, If not don't even try.

I wish you luck and I admire your motivation....and get used to a guy doing this in your ear all day---->
Old 11-15-2006, 06:01 AM

The elite divisions require two basic disciplines: physical and mental. If you are physically fit, a team player, competetive by nature, have the ability to keep going when the going gets tough, you have the basics. It is about physical and mental stamina - they will teach you all of the "mechanical" things you need to learn. As you know, the military breaks down the individual and molds the team - beyond that, as the military looks at things, those who are best able to meet their high standards for special ops are those who are able to master the physical and mental hardships - it goes beyond "willingness" to a place where , despite all odds, you prevail, and thus your team prevails. You need to have the inate mindset that the team does not fail - this isn't a football game, this is the real deal - you fail, your team fails, people die. You need motivation, but not ego. I suggest that you research the branches and special units, and see what would be the best "fit" for you, and your goals and ambition. About the only thing one can do to prepare before entry is to be in top physical condition - mental conditioning in these circumstances requires probably more levels of deprivation than most civilians can acquire outside of the military.....unless you've got some really mean relatives !
Old 11-15-2006, 06:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats on your decision to serve our country. Get a commision, and get as much training as you can.

You have just made the best/ most life altering decision of your life.

I wished a few more young guys in here would have such direction in life.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Get your commission. I'm a Marine Sgt, about to be SSgt. PM me if you want me to give you the skinny. I won't bs you, I'd rather you be happy than just a number in the Corps. I also have a couple of very good officer friends that could help you out if you have ?'s. Marines are the best, unless you want a nice soft life, then join the navy or something. (Happily waiting for the return fire on this one!!!) They all pay the same!
Old 11-15-2006, 08:00 AM

As far as which special ops or what ever you want, Make sure you talk to an officer recuiter not an enlisted recuiter. I know a couple of people that have gotten burned by that. As far as joining which branch I know the Air Force has Pararescue, Combat Controllers.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I work as a Private Security Contractor right now. I am also a Marine. You need a DD214 before you can get any real Security job overseas.
Good for you deciding on joining a military branch.
Maybe you'll one day be lucky enough to be One of the Few, One of the Proud...
Old 11-15-2006, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to come to work for the Postal Service as a Postal Inspector with that degree. That is one cool job and they are respected throughout the entire service. If I were you I would go into the military and become a Vet to get preference and then apply for the Inpection job.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm brainwashing him with jarhead stuff over pm's right now, somebody better help him out!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 08:33 PM

Haha. Parris Island generally gets the east coast recruits right? Is C. Pendleton for the west?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:35 PM

Well ... since I was a recruiter a few years ago and work with the SEALs right now, I guess I have two cents to put in on this. I think that you have a good job in mind ... I hope you make it happen, and I am sure that you will do well at whatever you do.

The guys that do well in Special Warfare regardless of branch, came in the military specifically for that reason. We bring men in specifically for the SEAL rate now, it used to be something that you tried out for.
As was said before, you need to be HIGHLY competetive and a fitness freak to begin with ... these guys turn everything into a competition which pushes them to achieve more. There is much more to getting prepared for BUDS than just running ... grab a like-minded buddy to help push you into getting physically ready. Running, swimming, mountain climbing, weight lifting ... you name it, do it !! Do something EVERY DAY !!! Consult a physical trainer if you have to ... and have a sports medicine type Dr. available as well.

The book learning is NOT the difficult part ... it is pushing yourself to the limit today and then exceeding that limit tomorrow that is the difficult part.

Enlisted vs. Officer .... don't get too wrapped around the axles with that IMHO .... there are benefits to both. I can't speak for the other branches, but when it comes to navy specwar, rank is not really as important as ability. If you are talking money .... yeah, the paycheck is bigger (big deal ) but the enlisted guys are getting obnoxiously big reenlistment bonuses right now. I think that if you want to learn everything about what you do, then go enlisted. Yes, you can always go talk to the officer program recruiter if it makes you feel "safer" ... a recruiter is still a recruiter.

As for being softer than the Marines .... guilty as charged .

PISTOL
Old 11-16-2006, 02:49 PM

i have many friends that have been sf and the one common thing is they will not quit. i mean i had one bent over backward and i was about to break his neck. i was telling him to say uncle, he was trying to spit in my face. to have that built in ability to keep going no matter what is the main thing. heck they can train anyone to run 20 miles, to shoot real well or to swim 20 miles. but they want someone to do it all in freezing rain buck necked and not ask why.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:46 PM

Anyone know much about USAF Pararescue? I'm really interested in this!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:52 PM

If you chose Air Force, go combat controller. They call in the airstrikes on the ground for the Seals, Rangers, Green Berets etc.

I suggest trying bud/s. My last command i was attached to Specwar. Did several deployment with Seal Squadrons. My first Afg. tour was with ST1 and ST2. My second deployment was with ST4. Another option for you would be EOD or SWCC. They do some pretty cool stuff as well.

Marshall

MAD HAT
Why be a Marine when you can be a SEABEE.

Quick Reply: So I finally know what I want to do w/ my life!