Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   Skunks (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/skunks-300614/)

hamilton71801 02-16-2012 09:04 PM

Skunks

This morning before school my mastiff mix attacked a skunk and my 14yr old tried to break it up and got a direct hit along with the dog! What's bad is my wife made him change clothes & took him to school...too funny. He enjoyed his lunch outside by himself and had plenty of elbow room in class.

Just thought I'd share a day of my life...oh yeah, the skunk met an early death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIXSLUG 02-16-2012 09:09 PM

My pointer and dad's male shepard took it in the face last august. I thought they were chasing one of the barn cats, but they ain't striped!! When I saw it was a skunk I knew it was gonna be bad.

My sis sent some concoction recipe she had and it got 99% of the stink off 'em, but my dog still had a detectable odor in October.

Your kid will be ok. Makes for a funny "remember when" story down the road.

chaikwa 02-16-2012 09:12 PM

My best friend and I went to school that way quite a few times. We ran a trap line every morning before school and on more than one occasion we'd have a rather irate skunk in one of our snare traps. Other than a few snide remarks the first couple of times, I don't remember anyone making a big stink about it tho. [whistle]Maybe because we didn't smell all that different on a regular day anyway. [laugh]

NJTman 02-16-2012 09:17 PM

Thanks for the Tale of your kid and dog... I laughed real hard reading that one.

My buddies dog (since passed) used to get skunked all the time. They tried every over the counter crap avail...... but to no avail... His dog was a samoyed and it was funny when he did the tomato juice thing @ 4:00 in the morning and seeing his "Pink" stinking samoyed the next day.

Tomato juice did nothing.... other than make the dog want to hear this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL2prMmPmQ4

Saw them in concert in Red Bank's Count Basie theater.... What a great show....

He finally used a mixture of Baking Soda, Peroxide and dish detergent. Seemed to work the best. I suggest that you get a scrub brush and give the mixture to your kid and tell him to hit the shower......

Good luck ! Long road of stinkyness ahead of you.

chaikwa 02-16-2012 09:19 PM

Just an FYI if you don't know;

To neutralize or deodorize skunk spray, the chemicals in the secretion must be changed to a different type of molecule. Tomato juice does not work. Bathing an animal in tomato juice seems to work because at high doses of skunk spray the human nose quits smelling the odor (olfactory fatigue). When this happens, the odor of tomato juice can easily be detected. A person suffering olfactory fatigue to skunk spray will swear that the skunk odor is gone and was neutralized by the tomato juice. Another person coming on the scene at this point will readily confirm that the skunk spray has not been neutralized by the tomato juice.

For pets and people that have been sprayed, bathe them in a mixture of 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide (from a drug store), 1/4 cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and a teaspoon of liquid detergent. After 5 minutes rinse them with water. Repeat if necessary. The mixture must be used after mixing and will not work if it is stored for any length of time. DO NOT STORE IN A CLOSED CONTAINER - it releases oxygen gas so it could break the container. This mixture may bleach hair. I have heard of one black Labrador retriever that was chocolate colored after this treatment.

Some additional tips. Do this outside so the volatile skunk spray does not contaminate your house. To remove residual skunk odor from your clothes and any towels or rags used in this clean up procedure, wash them with one cup of liquid laundry bleach per gallon of water.

chaikwa 02-16-2012 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman (Post 3079258)
Thanks for the Tale of your kid and dog... I laughed real hard reading that one.

My buddies dog (since passed) used to get skunked all the time. They tried every over the counter crap avail...... but to no avail... His dog was a samoyed and it was funny when he did the tomato juice thing @ 4:00 in the morning and seeing his "Pink" stinking samoyed the next day.

Tomato juice did nothing.... other than make the dog want to hear this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL2prMmPmQ4

Saw them in concert in Red Bank's Count Basie theater.... What a great show....

He finally used a mixture of Baking Soda, Peroxide and dish detergent. Seemed to work the best. I suggest that you get a scrub brush and give the mixture to your kid and tell him to hit the shower......

Good luck ! Long road of stinkyness ahead of you.

Originally Posted by chaikwa (Post 3079260)
Just an FYI if you don't know;

To neutralize or deodorize skunk spray, the chemicals in the secretion must be changed to a different type of molecule. Tomato juice does not work. Bathing an animal in tomato juice seems to work because at high doses of skunk spray the human nose quits smelling the odor (olfactory fatigue). When this happens, the odor of tomato juice can easily be detected. A person suffering olfactory fatigue to skunk spray will swear that the skunk odor is gone and was neutralized by the tomato juice. Another person coming on the scene at this point will readily confirm that the skunk spray has not been neutralized by the tomato juice.

For pets and people that have been sprayed, bathe them in a mixture of 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide (from a drug store), 1/4 cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and a teaspoon of liquid detergent. After 5 minutes rinse them with water. Repeat if necessary. The mixture must be used after mixing and will not work if it is stored for any length of time. DO NOT STORE IN A CLOSED CONTAINER - it releases oxygen gas so it could break the container. This mixture may bleach hair. I have heard of one black Labrador retriever that was chocolate colored after this treatment.

Some additional tips. Do this outside so the volatile skunk spray does not contaminate your house. To remove residual skunk odor from your clothes and any towels or rags used in this clean up procedure, wash them with one cup of liquid laundry bleach per gallon of water.

GREAT MINDS THINK IN PARALLEL! :hehe:

high bid 02-17-2012 07:23 AM

Yea...it's skunk mating season...lol!
My two border collies are always finding them this time of year. A bath w/warm water and dawn soap right after the incident works well.

annabelle 02-17-2012 07:59 AM

Saw a special on a guy who rescues skunks. He can't smell their odor, he is oblivious to it. I didn't realize we had so many varieties of skunks.

tankeryanker 02-17-2012 02:20 PM

Like Scott I have had 1st hand or should I say face experiance with a skunk. I ran a trap line & had one snared in a culvert. When I bent down to pop it with my 22 pistol it untangled from the trap chain & got me point blank in the face. It was winter & I had a rain poncho on so besides my face & pistol that was all I had to clean. Oh & I got in the creek near by to splash water in my eyes so I could find my way back to our cabin. The wife laughed & our cats & dogs left the area. [duhhh]

NJTman 02-18-2012 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa (Post 3079261)
GREAT MINDS THINK IN PARALLEL! :hehe:

Either that or it's just that we both wanted to look like Led Zeppelin band members

Originally Posted by tankeryanker (Post 3079477)
skunky got me point blank in the face.

[duhhh]

Q is ..... Did it burn your eyes, the way it appears it does the dogs ?

Did it make you high ?

Did you start ranting Cheech and Chong monologues?

cougar 02-18-2012 02:40 PM

Ever wonder what else uses your doggie door?

Shunks is one thing I don't miss up here. Or snakes.

tankeryanker 02-18-2012 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman (Post 3079846)
Either that or it's just that we both wanted to look like Led Zeppelin band members

[duhhh]

Q is ..... Did it burn your eyes, the way it appears it does the dogs ?

Did it make you high ?

Did you start ranting Cheech and Chong monologues?

Oh yea it burned thats why I went face 1st into the january cold as you know what creek. Didn't get a buzz but it did feel like an out of body experance. I think the wife could here my rant from our cabin a quarter mile away.:ugh:

06dodge4x4 02-18-2012 04:22 PM

Learned this one in Outdoor Life many years ago. Start a fire and put damp leaves on it (those that have fallen off the tree in the fall) they will smolder and smoke. The smoke will take the skunk smell away. It has something to do with the acid in the smoke binding with the oil. I have a skunk hide in the basement that was treated this way and you can put your nose right in it and not smell anything.

NJTman 02-19-2012 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 06dodge4x4 (Post 3079875)
Learned this one in Outdoor Life many years ago. Start a fire and put damp leaves on it (those that have fallen off the tree in the fall) they will smolder and smoke. The smoke will take the skunk smell away. It has something to do with the acid in the smoke binding with the oil. I have a skunk hide in the basement that was treated this way and you can put your nose right in it and not smell anything.

I think I found some leaves you can use...

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...0l95l625l9l9l0

Makes sense to me. I think I'll try it. Anyone got a spare skunk that I can borrow ?

j_martin 02-19-2012 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman (Post 3080214)
I think I found some leaves you can use...

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...0l95l625l9l9l0

Makes sense to me. I think I'll try it. Anyone got a spare skunk that I can borrow ?

Doesn't really make the skunk smell go away, but hey, who cares?