Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ski Boat purchase help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're interested in and have skiied behind an iinboard tow boat, you'll be dissapointed w/ the Larson.
You'll be best served w/ a direct drive ski boat, MC, Nautique, Malibu, Tige, Centurion, etc.
I'm partial to MC's, and picked up my 96 Prostar 190, 330hp LT-1, <300hrs for $14K 3 years ago. They do retain their value well, even though I got a good deal, with the tower I've added, the boat would fetch at least $16k today.
Look for a mid/late 90's Mastercraft Prostar 205. It's a comp ski boat, open bow, and throws a respectable wake (for a ski boat) with a little weight.
In the range you're looking, the boats mentioned above, or similar, will not deprreciate much anymore, so you cna take comfort in paying up to $20k for a 10 year old boat.
Try out www.tmcowners.com Lots of good MC info there, including plenty of guys that can tell you how to repair just about anything on the boat off the top of their heads.
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Ski Boat purchase help-dsc00444.jpg  
Old 06-26-2007, 07:58 PM
db

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.rinkerboats.com

It's not a Mastercraft but the R2 did get some good reviews from the wake board community for its perfect pass & folding tower.

But best of all it's the only one I can find with a DIESEL option in the whole USofA !!!!!!!!!!!!

Volvo D3 baby (pricey option - but this is a diesel site)
Old 06-26-2007, 08:42 PM
db

http://www.rinkerboats.com/Build_A_B...tiva&model=192

Here's the smaller 19' Rinker with a baby Cummins for $20k less than the R2 wake boat.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by TonyB
Be careful with the smaller engines. IF you already know how to ski, it's not so much of a problem. Having the horsepower to pull someone out of the water quickly can make the difference between having fun while learning and being frustrated.

I have skied behind a 1967 90hp outboard on a 17' boat. It was work to get up, but doable. A few years later I was behind a 19' boat with a 360 amc and popped right out of the water.

HTH

Tony
I skiied behind a 85 hp glastron of my buddys I had a little trouble getting up but not bad however once up we had to pin it for a 1/2mile to get two turns by then I would drop 10 km of the boat then we would repeat the process but it was fun...I looked at carvelle (sp?) boats today didn't seem to bad. I have a friend who sells mastercraft and hour away, I will give him a call...
Old 06-27-2007, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by db
www.rinkerboats.com

It's not a Mastercraft but the R2 did get some good reviews from the wake board community for its perfect pass & folding tower.

But best of all it's the only one I can find with a DIESEL option in the whole USofA !!!!!!!!!!!!

Volvo D3 baby (pricey option - but this is a diesel site)
Mastercraft offers a diesel as well, 1st year. It's 225 hp Volvo. Spendy option though.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:17 PM

i will agree with most on here, get a inboard or a v drive ski boat and be done with it. i have a 1986 supra saltaire 23' open bow with a 360 hp 454 in it. it get better fuel milage than my old 85ho out board or my 135hp iboard 6 banger i hhad in my 19" boat before it. and i can get up with a cigarette in my mouth behind this boat.i hate being wore out trying to get up behind a weak boat.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:57 PM

I am down to a 1997 Mailbu Response LXi or a 1998 Malibu proboss Vdrive. I am having a hard time paying the extra for a 10 year old boat both are in nice shape the response seems to be a little shallow on the sides. Do these things do well in rough water I read everwhere when the water gets rough the boats goes on the trailer. When the water gets rough around here as a kid the tube comes out... LAstly benfits to a vdrive vs a direct drive other than the rear engine position and more interior room.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:04 AM

V-drives are mainly around in ski boats for weight distribution in order to get as must weight going into the wake as possible... Makes for a larger ramp... Ski= direct drive, board=V-drive although each does the other 'ok'

These boats do 'ok' in rough water but are not designed to break through very well... your going to feel each and every wave... Nature of the beast!!
Old 07-05-2007, 04:51 AM
P.J
Banned

What do you consider "rough" water? The back/bottom of my boat is virtually FLAT making it a rough ride for anyone up front. We were out in about 3 footers with full white caps yesterday evening, it was slow going. After we got out of the mouth of the river I was in steady 1 footers and was rolling between 30-35 MPH without killing us.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
What do you consider "rough" water? The back/bottom of my boat is virtually FLAT making it a rough ride for anyone up front. We were out in about 3 footers with full white caps yesterday evening, it was slow going. After we got out of the mouth of the river I was in steady 1 footers and was rolling between 30-35 MPH without killing us.
What he said for rough water on these type boats... Hull is not designed to break through like large boats... That and they simply dont weigh enough for large waves
Old 07-05-2007, 10:44 AM

I am thinking rough water as water that you would not want to ski on, we tend to ski when its glass or close, knee board wakeboard, tube etc when it is slightly rough and sometimes tube when it is pretty rough but not at the point of white caps. I am looking toward the v drive simply for the extra room, it has a 315 hp v-8 it is a 1998 malibu proboss open walkthrough bow it is listed for 27250 CAN funds and it is mint is that a good price? I am green with these boats thanks fellas
Old 07-05-2007, 05:34 PM

Go with the one with the more room. That way, you can offer to take us out as well. Besides, you'll need someone to drive, right.... UNLESS of course you are going to let the wife drive.
Which is ok, I guess. I am sure she would do a fine job. There is no reverse on it, right?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Banned

like others have said the ski type boats dont do great in rough water. it doesnt help you cant adjust the trim to bring the bow up like you would in a traditional boat with an outdrive. just go slow and try not to get swamped

brett
Old 07-05-2007, 08:21 PM

Well i bought the 98 Malibu sunsetter LX V drive it was in perfect shape and came with a tandwm axle trailer and all the bells and whistles I go pick it up tommorrow and hit the lake saturday Thanks fellas!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 08:46 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by greenworks
Well i bought the 98 Malibu sunsetter LX V drive it was in perfect shape and came with a tandwm axle trailer and all the bells and whistles I go pick it up tommorrow and hit the lake saturday Thanks fellas!!!

Cool. Make sure you slap a few pics here and in the "Rigs and Trailers" thread.

We are going out Saturday, if the course is smooth I'll post some pics of ME not making complete passes.....

Quick Reply: Ski Boat purchase help