Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Saw something intersting at the dealer...Service manager got his edit kicked

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw something intersting at the dealer...Service manager got his butt kicked

Been meaning to post this but forgot about it.
Guy = customer
Dude = Service manager

Soooo...the other day i am at my dealer getting my oil changed. (i have 5 free ones). Not sure of the whole story, but i will do my best. While i was standing there informing them i was there, another guy comes in. Probably about 6' 1" - 6'2" and about 250 and by no means "chubby". This apparently wasnt the first time he was in because the secretary reconized him and immediatly called the service manager. Apparently a few days or maybe a week ago, this guy had bought a brand new 07 cummins. After he drove the lot, he made it X amount of miles before it just got really hot, so he shut it down and called the dealer. the dealer towed it to the shop and discovered someone forgot to fill it with OIL. From the sounds of things, Service Manager told him (the owner)to stick, The truck had 90 or 19 miles on it when he rolled off the lot. He said the guy was at fault for not checking the oil when he left. NOW, this guy walked in there VERY CALM, he was trying to talk to the service manager and the service manger started getting upset with him. The guy passed insulted no one, did not yell, and was not blamming the service manager himself. He was mostly trying to get this resolved. I couldnt believe the attitude the manager took. I stopped listing for a bit as the lady was talking to be doing the paperwork. Well the next thing i know the service manger said something that must have really upset him, cause the next thing i saw was the two had their hands on one another. Then i see the guy pick the dude up and walk to the front door with him, open door with the dudes head and toss him on the ground. The service manager (obviously not the smartest guy at this point), stood up Called the guy a "redneck Edit" and took a swing at the guy and hit him in the jaw. The customer took a swing at the manager, the manger did at least 2 full spins and fell on the ground OUT COLD. The customer then got out his cell phone and called the cops. Cops showed up rather quickly, and interviewed me, the secretary and another guy. They arressted the Service Manager???. I did not hear the statements from the other guy or the secretary...but i told them exactly what i just wrote, basically that the dude was leveled headed up until the fighting. And that i did not see who started the physical contact.

Definatly the craizziest thing i have seen in person. I went in there yesterday to pick up some parts i had ordered, and my salesmen stopped me and was BS'n with me asking me how i liked my truck. i happened to ask him whatever came about with the truck. He said he heard that DC was buying it back from him and getting him a new one. Seems like they would have just replaced the motor but....guess not.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:22 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Probably cheaper and easier to just replace the truck with another one off the lot.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:22 PM

haha the service manager made a couple of mistakes!! most importantly, coming to work that day!

I'd be livid if that happened to me too. If i buy a vehicle (especially a new vehicle) i expect that it ready for me to drive!
Old 12-14-2006, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dhughe2
I'd be livid if that happened to me too. If i buy a vehicle (especially a new vehicle) i expect that it ready for me to drive!
Especially if the truck had 90 miles on it when I bought it. If you could prove that it was low on oil during those 90 miles, you could probably sue them for fraud or something for selling you a pre-damaged or neglected truck.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:04 PM

and they are REQUIRED to do a pre-delivery inspection of EVERY vehicle so it was THEIR FAULT completely....and why did not the low oil pressure light or gauge show anything....something else likely happened like loose oil filter or loose drain plug that finally came out....how do you hide 12qts of oil on your driveway...not likely. LOL
Old 12-14-2006, 07:07 PM

i've got friends in the dealer profession. i wouldnt take my vehicle to a dealer for an oil change under any circumstances. The techs are not working on their own personal vehicles, they are working on someone elses vehicle. You can bet that things get overlooked or just plain ignored such as applying oil to the rubber gasket on a new oil filter. its not their truck, so why should they care?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:33 PM

well I am a chrysler certified tech, and things do go unnoticed sometimes. When I worked in the shop did express lube, to tech, to new car tech, to used car tech. When I messed up it was mostly because my service writer would come out edit tellin me that the customer just bought a 10 hour service or somethin and wants in done in 2 hours. I know both sides of the divide here. And yes there should of been a pre-delivery check done, along with the check before it even left the factory lot!!! But the new car techs don't touch anything that tightens on new vehicles. If it isn't causing a problem why touch it? It's not the tech's fault, it's just not on the check-off sheet. And who is gonna go totally out of their way to check stuff when your not getting paid for it. I'm not tryin to sound rude or anything, but if it's not leaking why check all bolts and such on every vehicle. It doesn't make sense.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Brock
and they are REQUIRED to do a pre-delivery inspection of EVERY vehicle so it was THEIR FAULT completely....
Not only are they required - you have to PAY them for the privilege of making your new vehicle ready to drive.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by pooperscooper

Soooo...the other day i am at my dealer getting my oil changed. (i have 5 free ones).
Make sure you check the oil level after your oil change before leaving the lot!!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Banned

thats awesome. sounds like the guy broke out the ole one hitter quitter!! and there is no excuse for the dealer not checking the oil...im glad the guy didnt have to go to jail

brett
Old 12-14-2006, 09:39 PM

My question is why did the service manager decide that he needed to cop an additude. If I were in his shoes my jaw would have dropped to know that one of my vehicles left the lot without or a problem with oil. I realize that these are new cars but why did the service manager get so defensive. And he was responsible for checking the oil, yeah right, how many people do you see checking the oil on their brand new cars before they drive them off the lot, most people don't even know how.

This just shows me that my people skills aren't all that bad and there is alot worse out there. Any way score on seeing some dude get knocked out
Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I can see a new service manager at that dealership and a very apologetic owner doing everything possible to ward off a lawsuit.
Free oil changes for life?? perhaps a free upgrade from an ST to a laramie....
Old 12-14-2006, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by westcoaster
I can see a new service manager at that dealership and a very apologetic owner doing everything possible to ward off a lawsuit.
Free oil changes for life?? perhaps a free upgrade from an ST to a laramie....
Free stuff nothing, that big ox owes him a service manager.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:22 AM

I had a 2006 caravan and at 9400 miles the front oil seal fell out while I was on the Highway. All 5 quarts or oil poured out before I could get to the side of the road. The oil pressure light only flickered twice and it did not lock up but they had to put a new short block in it.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by greasemonki
Make sure you check the oil level after your oil change before leaving the lot!!!!
I am always sure to check my dipstick before i leave, or even after any time it is serviced for that matter. I usally do a walk around and when i get the filter changed i sign the side of it.

After this happened, sometime while i was waiting in the lobby, checking out the sick viper they have sitting in there,Somebody, dressed very nicely came over and was talking to me and kept appologizing for what had happened. He may have been the Salesmanager or District Manager....IDK. He asked if there was anything "We"(the dealer) could do to make it right. (while thinking about asking for a ride in the Viper!), just an oil change W/ oil please! Not much was said after that, but when they brought my truck out to me, he walked out there, popped my hood and checked my oil level for me....

I will be finding a new dealer after my Free oil changes are used up.

Quick Reply: Saw something intersting at the dealer...Service manager got his edit kicked