Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Rough road commuting vehicle choice

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough road commuting vehicle choice

Hello all, hoping to get some input and experiences on a decision I am trying to make. I live about 5 miles up a dirt road which is pretty good and heavily traveled (relatively), but gets really bad potholes and washboard for large parts of the year. My Dodge takes the abuse like a champ. However, my wife drives an old subaru that gets the snot beat out of it. The time has finally come to get rid of that and get her something new.

We are torn between a crossover type suvs which get decent mileage (20-25 mpg) and drive really nice on pavement and a truck based suv like an xterra or 4runner. I worry that the fancy interiors and car based chassis will take a beating like the subaru. I am leaning towards a truck based suv because it seems more suitable to daily use on a rough road, but you take a significant hit at the gas pump. We can both live with the less refined ride and handling.

I am just looking for a reality check. Am I off base thinking that a truck based suv will be enough more durable in the long run to justify the added fuel cost? Keep in mind that we are not talking four wheeling, and the subaru gets where it needs to go well enough (although the added capability of a truck would be nice), but the subaru chassis is a constant maintenance headache (bearings, bushings, and alignment mostly).

Thanks for any input!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:56 PM

If cost isn't much of an issue, I think that Jeep is still offering a CRD liberty. That would be a good choice. They get about 30 mpg and are pretty rugged.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:58 PM

However, if you want to make your wife really happy, get an ultra smooth Infiniti FX model.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:07 AM

if vehicle price is an issue, the jeep patriot can be had for less than 20k, gets around 30 mpg, and is pretty impressive.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:31 AM

Check out the Hyundai Tucson. One of the best vehicles I've owned for cummuting. Good ride, low cost, 24 MPG, roomy, and a high safety rating.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:48 AM

I just picked up a new Toyota FJ Cruiser ..... and love it !!
The gas mileage isn't the greatest (18-20) but it WILL stand up to the roughness.

Good storage room, full time 4WD (in the 6 spd standard), rear locker (std feature), rubber floormat (carpet is an option ).

I highly recommend them.

PISTOL
Old 02-26-2008, 06:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I've seen, it may not be style of vehicle so much as quality of vehicle that you need to look at. I have a friend who lives down a similar road although not as far. He's had several vehicles that started falling apart because of the pot holes and washboards but his last vehicle that held together was a Honda CRX and when he had an accident in that, he bought a Honda Accord because he feels that the Honda holds up to the rough roads better than most others.

YMMV
Old 02-26-2008, 07:22 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Chaikwa and old dog can attest to my roads. 4 years with a camry and I was finally installing struts and bearings at about 192,000 miles. My neighbor has been driving a highlander on those roads for 2 years now without a single repair. Both get great mileage. I feel anymore, the parts are only upped in size for the proprtionate weight of the vehicle, not for any extra durability. I'm driving a grand cherokee on the same roads and with high, but fewer miles, it's already needing chassis parts. Don't get me started on the blazer with those roads. A buddy has also been haveing good luck with a pilot on bad roads. The road commissions here had the budgets cut to nothing the last couple of years.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:40 AM

Nissan xterra with the offroad package has a good ride on ruff roads with the bilstein shock and bigger tires. The gas milage is not that great but it has nice power to do what needs to be done and it is cheaper than the Toyota FJ.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:27 PM

Why not a full size jeep?Big enough for the kids and dog, decent millage.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I had a Saturn VUE that I really liked for what it was. (I also lived in the sticks when I had it) Decent power, good milage (30+ on th highway), AWD and zippy on the highways . Never had any suspention problems or other mechanical prob for that matter. Fit an finish wasn't high class but not poor either.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:14 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Nissan xterra or better still a Pathfinder.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:54 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by bhuffstutter
Nissan xterra with the offroad package has a good ride on ruff roads with the bilstein shock and bigger tires. The gas milage is not that great but it has nice power to do what needs to be done and it is cheaper than the Toyota FJ.
X2.

I have an 06 X S package 2wd.
While its not setup for offroad, it will run dirt roads and county roads comfortably. My wife drives it to take the kids to school and purely city driving, stop and go, warms it before going outside when its cold, its getting 13 to 14 mpg with the 4.0L V6.
Driving highway, I have seen as high as 24 mpg. 22 to 23 is more typical.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:08 PM

Thanks for all the input (and so many 1st gen owners too)!

Unfortunately there is no Honda dealer within an acceptable distance otherwise that would be a likely candidate. I have a 92 Accord parts runner that has 200,000 miles and just won't quit.

bhuffstutter, what mileage are you seeing from your xterra? Auto or manual? If the 4wd gets even close to what Frosty Owner reports that is not all that bad. I am sort of leaning that way. The subaru struggles to get 25mpg and struggles up the big passes with anything more than a driver in it.

Thanks again for the input!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:15 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Here is a chart of my fuel mileage and cost per mile.
I started logging at about 1000 miles. Just over 13500 miles now

Quick Reply: Rough road commuting vehicle choice