Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Rich Kids who get what they want...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich Kids who get what they want...

Ever know someone who was 15 and momma and dad came up through hard times when they were younger. Well mom and dad make out pretty good down the road, and now have some good money.

Well, I work with the youth at my church. One kid's dad is a logger and works like a dog. His mom came from a poor background, but is a classy lady who always knows you no matter who she is around if you know what I mean.

This kid was given a 2003 f-250. Well he was not happy with the fact that it was a diesel, 4x4, and a crew cab with leather interior. So he had to have a leveling kit put under it, then had to have the superchip for it, well he still was not happy with the aftermarket rims his dad had put on it for him, so he cried till he got some 18's put on it, and then had to have the new Toyo tires on it so that it would be COOL. This poor youngin believes that every thing he wants should be set in his lap now. His idea of work is changing a tire on a semi trailer.

He gets $200 a week to mow their yard once. He hangs with me a lot, and I am trying to teach him to respect what he has.

Well, now the 6.oh no is skipping, I tell him to drain the water out of the fuel filter cannister, he is like what is that. I am like your kidding right? He sais well, if you will get diesel on yah, I aint touching it. It can go back to the shop for that. It is hard to ge that diesel smell out. I think I am going to give up on him. It is hopeless.

What do you do with someone like that. Don't get me wrong. I am glad his parents can affordto give him something nice and new, but if he does not learn to respect it, what is he going to do when he actually has to grow up.

Sorry for being long winded
Old 04-14-2006, 05:59 PM

teach him how to do some work on it and tell him that if he dont watch it he"ll blow some thing up with that super chip, i had one on my 04 and it got hot.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try to get him interested in Diesel performance. Take him to the next DHRA event or tractor pulls or something, and get him addicted to some web forum.

If he isn't interested in it, then he won't care and be like all of the other rich kids with a semi-modified and jacked up Ford. (THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!) (Especially Glamiz...)

If he does become interested, then it is good because we need the rich people to pour capital into research and development for our sport.

As for him being a spoiled rotten rich kid, well, I haven't heard his side of the story, and I'm jealous.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:09 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
15 year olds can be edit and a spoilt one is practically unbearable. His parents shouldn't have bought him a truck in the first place and paying him 200 bucks for mowing the lawn once is crazy. He should mow the lawn for free in exchange for room and board.

When I was 16 my dad bought me a nearly new car and after a few months I totaled it while racing and could have been killed. It was the last thing my dad ever bought me. I didn't deserve it and I didn't appreciate the hard work he did to be able to keep us kids in style.

I learned the hard way that self reliance builds character and confidence. When this kid finally gets out on his own he will be severely handicapped.

Edwin
Old 04-14-2006, 06:17 PM

Tell him women love a man that ain't afraid to get his hands dirty. I once used to own a 1979 K-5 Blazer, got all dressed up to go on a date, you know, starched jeans & starched button down shirt, brand new justin boots and 20X stetson. Well anyway on the way to the movies, my u-joint went out and the driveshaft hit the ground. I got off on the side of the road, pulled my tools out, took my button down shirt off and commenced to getting dirty, my date thought that was awesome.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by carpenterje
Tell him women love a man that ain't afraid to get his hands dirty. I once used to own a 1979 K-5 Blazer, got all dressed up to go on a date, you know, starched jeans & starched button down shirt, brand new justin boots and 20X stetson. Well anyway on the way to the movies, my u-joint went out and the driveshaft hit the ground. I got off on the side of the road, pulled my tools out, took my button down shirt off and commenced to getting dirty, my date thought that was awesome.
ive been in a very similar situation w/ an 84 k5
Old 04-14-2006, 06:37 PM

Sooner or later he will have to learn a few things about life.
Daddy won´t pay forever, make that clear to him, there will be a time in his life when he has to work hard for a living. So he better appreciates what his parents are doing at the moment for him.

When I was 15 or 16 my father built a house and we (brother, sister and me) each got 10 DM (about 5-6 $) an hour. But we had to work hard, for example digging a 10 meter long canal through frozen ground to get to the canal system.

One thing I promise, when I have kids they won´t become snobs. If they want more money they´ll have to work for it. 200$ is just ridiculous for such an easy job
Old 04-14-2006, 06:49 PM

hey guys...don't worry, he'll be the one pumping the diesel in our trucks in a few years

but anywho, i'm only 18 with my truck but i tell you what, did i ever work for it. man oh man i worked my tail off to get that truck believe you me.

you see, i come from a farm and i still work there, and daddy taught me that money don't grow on trees and you gotta work for it, and i learned that right quick. and grandpa told me to "poop"(different choice of word though) in one hand and wish in the other and see which one gets full first

i don't know what the kid's problem, to me there ain't nothin better than coming home and eating some grub after a hard, yet honest days' work.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:06 PM

He's driving legally at the age of 15? Sounds like the kid has got it made, until reality gives him a backhand to the face. Got my first truck when I was 16, I worked my tail off for that. Now i'm 18 and have the truck I want. Im still working my fingers to the bone for it. I don't mind because it distills a certin sense of pride in me.

Let the kid live his life on the throne, he'll regret he sat his *** down in it one day.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ridiculous & Nate-03 D; For young'uns, you two got yer 'stuff' together! You know how to, (and expect to), work to get the things you want. That says a lot about you right there. Ridiculous said, "to me there ain't nothin better than coming home and eating some grub after a hard, yet honest days' work." Someone's instilled some pretty darn good values in you... be proud of that!

chaikwa's2cents.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Ridiculous & Nate-03 D; For young'uns, you two got yer 'stuff' together! You know how to, (and expect to), work to get the things you want. That says a lot about you right there. Ridiculous said, "to me there ain't nothin better than coming home and eating some grub after a hard, yet honest days' work." Someone's instilled some pretty darn good values in you... be proud of that!

chaikwa's2cents.
I second that!!!!
I to have always had to work hard for everything that I have ever wanted. Yes, my dad bought me a 95 Dakota 4x4 reg cab long bed when I turned 17. It had like 90,000miles on it but I took allot of pride in what he had given me. I had that truck for 3 years and everything that was installed, fixed, tuned was from hard earned money by me. This was to tow my Ranger Boat that I was working my fingers to the bone for. All I ever wanted was to be able to look outside my house and see the rewards of honest hard work. Since then I have owned 2 CTD's and will be buying another soon. I always get what I want ONLY BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT!!!!!!! Now my little girl is the pride of my life and there are things that I want her to have so I will work just as hard to make sure that she has what she needs in life (Not always what she wants)!

Great stories guys. I know allot of people that have had it hard in life and they always seem to appreciate the smaller things instead of always reaching for the impossible!
Old 04-14-2006, 09:48 PM

I agree with Ridiculous & Nate-03 D.. I havent been through what they have i was brought up spoiled like that kid.. I was givin a car when i was 15 that i hated but i built that jeep into something i loved i had to work for it too.. My parents (MY MOTHER) helped me out a lot but i still worked for it.. I was givin a pretty amount of money for me to put down on my truck when my granma passed on. I waited till i was out of school and had a job i enjoyed till i bought my truck.. Now about 2 months after i bought my truck i lost my job and now im hurtin for money i been applyin for jobs like crazy.. Im scarred to loose my truck.. AND i dont want to its my life and my dream truck.. good thing i got money put away for this sitiation.. But being jobless for 2-3 months is killin me right now..once he gets a slap of reality he'll grow up but until then he will be a spoiled lil kid with one brain cell
Old 04-14-2006, 10:02 PM

He will either find his way in life or he will pay for it. Kids usually straighten out
(Or do I just keep running in the same circles of people? )
Old 04-14-2006, 10:24 PM
Registered

its kids like that who give the rest of us (the younger crowd) a bad name. I just turned 16 earlier this month, and ive been driving leagily since i was 14 (hardship )

anyways yes, i have two 20,000 dollar rigs, and yes, i paid for them my self. started building the '57 when i was 13, and paid for it as i went (we live on a farm, been working in the turkeyhouses since i was 8 for $3 bucks an hour) That one is all paid off

Then i started cutting firewood (BIG contracts) and decided that i needed another truck, and that i could afford it. So i bought my 02 cummins. i still owe about 12,000 bucks on it, but im still making my very own payments.

so we're not all rotten, just some of us
Old 04-15-2006, 04:28 AM

lol you guys need to come down to SoCal sometime. You'll see kids driving $80k cars, wreck them and have a new one with in 24 hours. Honestly it's all relative, so don't knock everyone with a nice car. Granted no 16yr old NEEDS an M3 or Escalade, but if your parents pull in 8 figures, why not? You can teach kids value w/o making them drive a pos.

As well if you provide kids with nice things and use them as incentives to do well it can motivate them down the road. That and chances are if the parents have that kind of cash, the kid probably isn't an idiot and will do fine on their own later in life.

Or maybe I've just seen it so much I don't care anymore, who knows.

Quick Reply: Rich Kids who get what they want...