Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Recently engaged, thinking about getting married on a cruise ship

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe missing something............
I guess I'm old school. Cruises use to be on smaller ships and min of 10 days. Much more intimate.
Nowadays, cruises are designed for the masses. 7 days, to fit a weeks vacation. And the Ships are huge!
No better or worse, I guess, but very different than in the past !!
If you don't mind being in a crowded enviornment all the time, and you feel the more people the merrier, go for it! My last cruise was 6 days on the Normandy out of Miami... at the time, the biggest ship afloat. 1500 passengers and a ZOO!
Now the ships are twice as big!!
Just be prepared for an "At the mall" feeling all the time. Not my cup of tea but it certainly has opened up the joys of cruising to many more people.

Can't help you with the 'getting married at sea' part. Don't you have to be in international waters for that? May not be able to do it first day out?
But if the captian will do it, should get you an invite to his table for dinner!

RJ
Old 12-08-2009, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Is it that simple or am I missing something??

It is that simple. Once on the ship, not a care in the world. We headed right to the pool deck once we got on. Just sat there and drank fruity drinks and laid in the sun while the ship boarded everyone. You guys will love it. Congratulations too by the way.

Oh, I'm sure they told you already but everything is inclusive except the gift shop on board, gambling and alcoholic drinks but they are reasonably priced so no worries. You give them your credit card for credit and then the whole thing is a cashless society on the ship. Tips for the cabin stewards and other staff are also not included. There are standard rules of thumb to go by thoguh and they will fill you in on those. Seems like for the 7 day/night deal we were out about $400 in tips the whole time. We probably over did it though. If you know the certain stops you'll be making then you might want to get cash exchanged at your bank so you have foreign money and you don't get bamboozled using American dollars. Trust me, it's much cheaper this way then to try and keep the exchange rate in your head each time you try to buy something. Or, you can take the extra fuss out and just use American or exchange it when you get to port or on the boat, etc.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RowJ
Maybe missing something............
I guess I'm old school. Cruises use to be on smaller ships and min of 10 days. Much more intimate.
Nowadays, cruises are designed for the masses. 7 days, to fit a weeks vacation. And the Ships are huge!
No better or worse, I guess, but very different than in the past !!
If you don't mind being in a crowded enviornment all the time, and you feel the more people the merrier, go for it! My last cruise was 6 days on the Normandy out of Miami... at the time, the biggest ship afloat. 1500 passengers and a ZOO!
Now the ships are twice as big!!
Just be prepared for an "At the mall" feeling all the time. Not my cup of tea but it certainly has opened up the joys of cruising to many more people.

Can't help you with the 'getting married at sea' part. Don't you have to be in international waters for that? May not be able to do it first day out?
But if the captian will do it, should get you an invite to his table for dinner!

RJ

I don't think we can get married "at sea". IM pretty sure we will have to do it at a port. And I don't think the Captain will be doing it.

No doubt the ship will be big with lots to do and lots of people. But that's ok. We can always go "get away" from it all at our cabin.

We have never taken a cruise, so I know it will be a fun experience. Based on what I know and have heard from others, it sounds like the easiest way to have a fun, stress free, vacation. That is what we need/want.

IM about to call and book our reservation....we are just ironing out the final details on the "wedding" part of it now.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
I like it! Man where were you 6 years ago! lol
Funny you ask, I was getting ready to get married! It lasted about 6 months before I realized it wasnt for me. I prefer just me and whoever I want whenever I want.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:31 PM

It would be pretty cool getting married on the beach. I'm a private person and wouldn't want a big wedding.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:27 AM

Well I booked and paid for the cruise part!

Now the "Mrs. to be" is ironing out the details on the "Wedding" part. I told her to pretty much plan that part however she wants and just let me know what she did.....afterward. Im not to concerned....she will do well. Im just afraid that that part is going to cost about triple (maybe more!) what the "cruise" costs..

Staarma.....I picked the 8pm dinner time.

This is gonna be fun!

Old 12-09-2009, 08:51 AM

Well I booked and paid for the cruise part!

Now the "Mrs. to be" is ironing out the details on the "Wedding" part. I told her to pretty much plan that part however she wants and just let me know what she did.....afterward. Im not to concerned....she will do well. Im just afraid that that part is going to cost about triple (maybe more!) what the "cruise" costs..

Staarma.....I picked the 8pm dinner time.

This is gonna be fun!

Awesome, you guys will have a blast. Geez, I'm excited and I'm not going anywhere. It was -28 F here two nights ago and -14 F last night. The high for today though is expected to at least get up over 0 so I'm stoked about that.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by staarma
Awesome, you guys will have a blast. Geez, I'm excited and I'm not going anywhere. It was -28 F here two nights ago and -14 F last night. The high for today though is expected to at least get up over 0 so I'm stoked about that.

Maybe it's time to schedule you and the little lady for a cruise in some warm waters!

Old 12-09-2009, 12:33 PM

Maybe it's time to schedule you and the little lady for a cruise in some warm waters!

No doubt, we're up to -5F now so well on our way to warmer weather.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:29 PM

Congrats!!! Ya'll will have a blast. The wife and I honeymooned on a cruise out of Florida and then this past June celebrated our 10 yr anniv. on a cruise out of Galveston. We cruised Carnival this time and it was A BLAST!!!! Galveston easy to depart from. They have parking across the street from the ship dock. Don't stress about the passport thing, as long as she has a birth certificate she can go without a passport. The key is: As long as you leave and return to the same port you don't have to have a passport.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by txfiremedic
..........Galveston easy to depart from. They have parking across the street from the ship dock. Don't stress about the passport thing, as long as she has a birth certificate she can go without a passport. The key is: As long as you leave and return to the same port you don't have to have a passport.

We will prob leave the day or two before so we can visit with some friends down near Houston. Then get a room in Galveston the night before. Get up the next day and drive to the ship parking. Im sure there won't be any problem with it. Thanks for the info though.

We aren't stressing about the passport....she just took care of it Monday...so it should be here well before our cruise date. She needed it anyway....as im sure we will be taking other trips in coming months/years.

We are both so excited, it's hard to think about Christmas etc...LOL

Old 12-10-2009, 07:20 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That poor woman! LOL

Btw, if you can see well enough to drive with the stars in yer eyes, we are having a Christmas party at my house this weekend. You are both invited to attend. Saturday the 12th. 2-6 PM. Looks like about 40 people so far. Bring your kids.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:39 AM

I was ordained for my friends wedding so we had to figure out the logistics and legality of it all you will need a marriage license from the county in which the ceremony will take place. keep that in mind as an FYI. go to the county clerks website and research what you need to do. Congrats and good luck