Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Question for the guys in British Columbia

Old 06-11-2017, 10:25 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Question for the guys in British Columbia

While this is directed mainly at the guys that reside in BC, I also need some advice from the rest of you in resolving my dilemma. Here is the story;

I have been asked to consider coming out of retirement and go back to work for the 4th time. This time it is for a company in BC. This will be temporary, but the temporary could be anywhere from 6 months to two years. I suspect the longer time. While in BC I will of course need transportation. I could buy a used car up there and sell it when I leave or maybe take my truck up. The problem with taking my truck up is the insurance due to the weird BC laws. My present Mexican insurance has a rider on it that allows me to drive temporarily in the USA and Canada, but have no idea if 'temporary' means one week or 3 months or ....? Also, again due to the insurance laws in BC, cannot ascertain if the rider I have on my policy is even valid in BC, even though it clearly states USA and Canada. Phoned the ICBC and they are unsure about the rider on my policy, but they tell me that to insure my truck in BC that it is necessary to import it and that they will take my Mexican plates as they cannot provide temporary insurance on a foreign plated vehicle. This gives me more problems as to re-import it back to Mexico is an expensive headache.

This truck was bought new in Texas and for years it had Texas plates. Then I legally imported it into Mexico and put local Mexican plates on it. The strange thing about this is that as far as I can ascertain, that the Texas plates (which I till have) were never cancelled by the Mexican authorities which may mean that perhaps I could easily put Texas (or any American state) plates back on it.

There is more to my dilemma. This truck is in excellent condition with many mods as can be seen from my signature. It has never seen salt or snow, so there is zero rust anywhere except for some minor surface rust where Dodge never painted. I bought the truck new, intending never to sell it. It only has 162,400 miles on it. New clutch and Carli ball joints not that long ago. I sold my RV, so no longer have a justifiable reason to keep it, but still occasionally need a truck, but not for towing. Hate to sell such a great truck. Should I just store the truck while away and keep it for ever, or take it up to BC, import it and put BC plates on it and sell it up there before returning home? Would there be a problem to import it? What are the restrictions, if any? Any idea what this truck would be worth in Canada?

Any suggestions from anybody?
Old 06-11-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Keep your truck in storage, get a cheap Canada car for your tenure.... just my .02 from the northern border.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Stanadian, you've already laid out a whole bunch of negative parameters that you could or would encounter.
As mentioned, get a daily driver in BC.
Save yourself the hassle(s).
Old 06-11-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
Stanadian, you've already laid out a whole bunch of negative parameters that you could or would encounter.
As mentioned, get a daily driver in BC.
Save yourself the hassle(s).
And the salt damage.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:19 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

OK guys, thanks for your input as it helped to make my decision. If I do decide to take the job, now have definitely decided that my truck will stay behind. Lots of cheap daily drivers available where I would be going.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Stan, you have one very nice truck. It'll probably bother you a little to drive a ricer or something for a little while, but it'll be worth it to preserve that beauty.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
OK guys, thanks for your input as it helped to make my decision. If I do decide to take the job, now have definitely decided that my truck will stay behind. Lots of cheap daily drivers available where I would be going.
Let me ask you a dumb question, if you are so highly desired that they have asked you to come out of retirement, why would it be out of the question to ask them for a company vehicle to drive while you are at your temporary job?

Just a thought........
Old 06-13-2017, 01:25 PM

John, thanks for the compliment. I know that it is a nice truck and have spent a lot of time and money to make it that way, which is why I do not want to do anything to mess it up.

Pat, that is a perfectly good question. There are many variables and options to me finally saying "Yes", and one of them is a company vehicle. Still have a few months before everything comes together.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:07 PM

The new lexus coupe is nice....400 hp....
Old 06-14-2017, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
The new lexus coupe is nice....400 hp....

Thanks ..... friend. How many tickets do you think that my lead foot would earn with that in my first month?
Old 06-15-2017, 09:15 PM

Mounties ride one, you'll have a 399 horse edge......don't worry too much!!

Holler on your way thru Bellingham, Ill steer ya to good food.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:46 AM

Thanks Kurt. If this happens, may take you up on this. Don't expect much to happen before November.

No matter how many horses I may drive, still can't run away from the mounties - or Mr. Motorola.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:59 PM

Yeah, right. I've never had troubles up there.

Sounds good.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:06 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
While this is directed mainly at the guys that reside in BC, I also need some advice from the rest of you in resolving my dilemma. Here is the story;

I have been asked to consider coming out of retirement and go back to work for the 4th time. This time it is for a company in BC. This will be temporary, but the temporary could be anywhere from 6 months to two years. I suspect the longer time. While in BC I will of course need transportation. I could buy a used car up there and sell it when I leave or maybe take my truck up. The problem with taking my truck up is the insurance due to the weird BC laws. My present Mexican insurance has a rider on it that allows me to drive temporarily in the USA and Canada, but have no idea if 'temporary' means one week or 3 months or ....? Also, again due to the insurance laws in BC, cannot ascertain if the rider I have on my policy is even valid in BC, even though it clearly states USA and Canada. Phoned the ICBC and they are unsure about the rider on my policy, but they tell me that to insure my truck in BC that it is necessary to import it and that they will take my Mexican plates as they cannot provide temporary insurance on a foreign plated vehicle. This gives me more problems as to re-import it back to Mexico is an expensive headache.

This truck was bought new in Texas and for years it had Texas plates. Then I legally imported it into Mexico and put local Mexican plates on it. The strange thing about this is that as far as I can ascertain, that the Texas plates (which I till have) were never cancelled by the Mexican authorities which may mean that perhaps I could easily put Texas (or any American state) plates back on it.

There is more to my dilemma. This truck is in excellent condition with many mods as can be seen from my signature. It has never seen salt or snow, so there is zero rust anywhere except for some minor surface rust where Dodge never painted. I bought the truck new, intending never to sell it. It only has 162,400 miles on it. New clutch and Carli ball joints not that long ago. I sold my RV, so no longer have a justifiable reason to keep it, but still occasionally need a truck, but not for towing. Hate to sell such a great truck. Should I just store the truck while away and keep it for ever, or take it up to BC, import it and put BC plates on it and sell it up there before returning home? Would there be a problem to import it? What are the restrictions, if any? Any idea what this truck would be worth in Canada?

Any suggestions from anybody?

Where in BC?
I'm located around Vancouver...
Old 07-07-2017, 06:40 AM

Victoria. Close to you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for the guys in British Columbia