Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Pitstop for strangers and the strange 7/22/12-7/28/12

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 01:11 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
But then I discovered horses.
Originally Posted by j_martin
A horses head is a tad narrower than his butt.
My Dad always said if you dont like somebody give them a horse or a restaurant.

As Adaminak and even FiverBob can attest days like this are what being in Alaska are all about.
I am getting reading to go puttering on the bike to cool off while the BBQ gets warmed up.
Even at 2400 it will be plenty light to finish cooking.
Now if the other 364 days could be this nice.
~
Old 07-28-2012, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing dumber than a horse is a turkey...... or maybe a horse owner that doesn't put the hay in a feeder.
Guess you haven't had many horses. All a feeder does is keep the hay off the ground for 5 seconds longer than if you'd thrown it there yourself. They just yank it all out, drop it on the ground in FRONT of the feeder and sniff thru it like some parts are better than others. THEN they poop in it.

SATURDAY, JULY 28th:

1866 - The metric system was legalized by the U.S. Congress for the standardization of weights and measures throughout the United States.

1868 - The Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was declared in effect. The amendment guaranteed due process of law.

1896 - The city of Miami, FL, was incorporated.

1914 - World War I officially began when Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia.

1932 - Federal troops forcibly dispersed the "Bonus Army" of World War I veterans who had gathered in Washington, DC. They were demanding money they were not scheduled to receive until 1945.

1941 - Plans for the Pentagon were approved by the U.S. House of Representatives.

1942 - L.A. Thatcher received a patent for a coin-operated mailbox. The device stamped envelopes when money was inserted.

1945 - A U.S. Army bomber crashed into the 79th floor of New York City's Empire State Building. 14 people were killed and 26 were injured.

1965 - U.S. President Johnson announced he was increasing the number of American troops in South Vietnam from 75,000 to 125,000.

1982 - San Francisco, CA, became the first city in the U.S. to ban handguns.

1998 - Bell Atlantic and GTE announced $52 billion deal that created the second-largest phone company.

1998 - Monica Lewinsky received blanket immunity from prosecution to testify before a grand jury about her relationship with U.S. President Clinton.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
There is no substitute for genuine lack of preparation.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
My, Mr Scott is up and at'em early and all ready posted our daily history report. Test is tomorrow morning - - - good morning Scott.

Originally Posted by Bark
As Adaminak and even FiverBob can attest days like this are what being in Alaska are all about.
I am getting reading to go puttering on the bike to cool off while the BBQ gets warmed up.
Even at 2400 it will be plenty light to finish cooking.
Now if the other 364 days could be this nice.
Oh, now you are making me jealous. Love Florida 9 months of the year, but the summers are good, but not AS good. My grandkids were amazed when we picked them up at the airport in Anchorage for their time with us - -it was midnight when we got in the truck to drive to the RV park. No headlights. Suddenly, RWKIII says "what time is it?" Midnight. Why do we not have to use any headlights to drive? Funny. I was filming a bear in the RV park in Denali at 1:30am with full light. Very odd to we lower 48'ers.

OK, out while cool to cut out some plants for the aluminum guys to their thing this next week on my lanai - - get at it before sunup and hot. See ya,

Bob
Old 07-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by FiverBob
OK, out while cool to cut out some plants for the aluminum guys to their thing this next week on my lanai...
That sounds so dirty when YOU say it!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
That sounds so dirty when YOU say it!
HUH? Whaaaa? Who? Me? Wad ah saaa? Me bad? ...........

Got work done, getting warm, sun hitting work area - - enough all ready. I did get a bit dirty - - that what you mean???? Washes off in the pool. YEH. .....

More ........
Old 07-28-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Guess you haven't had many horses. All a feeder does is keep the hay off the ground for 5 seconds longer than if you'd thrown it there yourself. They just yank it all out, drop it on the ground in FRONT of the feeder and sniff thru it like some parts are better than others. THEN they poop in it.
Only 20 or so at a time.

At least a manger gets some of the feed into the horse. Doesn't matter much as most of it goes through the horse undigested anyway.

I had a vet once tell me that a horse is a bad set of guts on a bad set of legs.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Administrator

At least a manger gets some of the feed into the horse.
Not from what we've experienced here. We have had no less than 5 different manger set ups and they've all left as much hay on the ground as not having any at all. I don't even want to think about how much money we've spent trying different feeders and mangers. They all get fed on the ground now. It's more natural for them to eat off the ground and the mess is the same without having to deal with putting the hay IN something. My philosophy is that if they get hungry enough, they'll eat it anyway. Of course, if the owners would actually DO something with their horses to work them in the first place, they might not have the time to think about it and be so picky.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know really know what a lanai is (must be a FL thing)
However I have a pretty good idea of what FiverBob's lanai is.

I have heard that he not only has a dirty lanai but he likes to entertain people with it.
He has even been known to play music on his lanai and he sounds kind of proud of his lanai.
I suspect he is busy playing with his lanai right now.

I assume if he ever posted a picture of his "lanai" he would get banned.