Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Pitstop for strangers and the strange 7/22/12-7/28/12

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bark
Some old people really freak me out.
Hope you don't look in a mirror!

Mornin'

THURSDAY, JULY 26th: (just less than 5 months 'til Christmas!)

1775 - A postal system was established by the 2nd Continental Congress of the United States. The first Postmaster General was Benjamin Franklin.

1788 - New York became the 11th state to ratify the U.S. Constitution.

1881 - Thomas Edison and Patrick Kenny execute a patent application for a facsimile telegraph (U.S. Pat. 479,184).

1893 - Commercial production of the Addressograph started in Chicago, IL.

1907 - The Chester was launched. It was the first turbine-propelled ship.

1908 - U.S. Attorney General Charles J. Bonaparte issued an order that created an investigative agency that was a forerunner of the FBI.

1945 - Winston Churchill resigned as Britain's prime minister.

1947 - U.S. President Truman signed The National Security Act. The act created the National Security Council, the Department of Defense, the Central Intelligence Agency and the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

1948 - U.S. President Truman signed executive orders that prohibited discrimination in the U.S. armed forces and federal employment.

1953 - Fidel Castro began his revolt against Fulgencio Batista with an unsuccessful attack on an army barracks in eastern Cuba. Castro eventually ousted Batista six years later.

1971 - Apollo 15 was launched from Cape Kennedy, FL.

1998 - AT&T and British Telecommunications PLC announced they were forming a joint venture to combine international operations and develop a new Internet system.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.

Coffee's ready.

Have a day!~
Old 07-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
enjoy the day you will have Scott! I completed all my training and passed all the tests for my new job while logging several hours and now I'm outta here for the day. Take care fellow DTRonians.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
enjoy the day you will have Scott! I completed all my training and passed all the tests for my new job while logging several hours and now I'm outta here for the day. Take care fellow DTRonians.
Hey, proud of you. Ya did good. NOw, don't get the big head and make us all bring you back down to earth. ............... Be sure you stock up and take along them Depends with you on them bus trips - - don't want to be embarrassed. ...................

Been out for therapy this morn (she worked my tail off - - good stuff), lunch and shopping with the blonde and seminar this afternoon. Interesting day - - learned a lot. Now try and catch up with stuff. Ya'll have a gudrestoftheday.

Bob
Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 AM

Morning Gang - - - gorgeous day out there - - out of bed, come join the party. Coffee, Yummy Ph00, hot water for Claude's tea all fixed and left some fresh baked banana bread on the counter (yes, the counter is clean - - there was no one in here yesterday to dirty it up - - - boooooo). So, get your little fannies out of that bed and come and get it.

Have a great day - - - market went crazee yesterday, so smile on your way to the bank. YEH. ................................

Bob
Old 07-27-2012, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Morning all. And Bob.

FRIDAY, JULY 27th:

1777 - The marquis of Lafayette arrived in New England to help the rebellious American colonists fight the British.

1789 - The Department of Foreign Affairs was established by the U.S. Congress. The agency was later known as the Department of State.

1804 - The 12th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified. With the amendment Electors were directed to vote for a President and for a Vice-President rather than for two choices for President.

1866 - Cyrus Field successfully completed the Atlantic Cable. It was an underwater telegraph from North America to Europe.

1909 - Orville Wright set a record for the longest airplane flight. He was testing the first Army airplane and kept it in the air for 1 hour 12 minutes and 40 seconds.

1918 - The Socony 200 was launched. It was the first concrete barge and was used to carry oil.

1921 - Canadian biochemist Frederick Banting and associates announced the discovery of the hormone insulin.

1944 - U.S. troops completed the liberation of Guam.

1953 - The armistice agreement that ended the Korean War was signed at Panmunjon, Korea.

1964 - U.S. President Lyndon Johnson sent an additional 5,000 advisers to South Vietnam.

1965 - In the U.S., the Federal Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act was signed into law. The law required health warnings on all cigarette packages.

1974 - The U.S. Congress asked for impeachment procedures against President Richard Nixon.

1995 - The Korean War Veterans Memorial was dedicated in Washington, DC, by U.S. President Clinton and South Korean President Kim Young-sam.

1999 - The U.S. space shuttle Discovery completed a five-day mission commanded by Air Force Col. Eileen Collins. It was the first shuttle mission to be commanded by a woman.

2001 - The ribbon cutting ceremony was held for American Airlines Center in Dallas, TX. The event set two new world records, one for the 3 mile long ribbon and one for the 2,000 people that cut it.

2003 - It was reported by the BBC (British Broadcasting Corp.) that there was no monster in Loch Ness. The investigation used 600 separate sonar beams and satellite navigation technology to trawl the loch. Reports of sightings of the "Loch Ness Monster" began in the 6th century.

2006 - Intel Corp introduced its Core 2 Duo microprocessors.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

Not bad!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

Not bad!
I'm always watching you.... always....

Morning guys and gals. Sorry haven't been around much, been insanely busy. Got moved into the new house. Wake up every morning to a living dream Moved in on a Wednesday and had a party for 150 people on Saturday. Needless to say there wasn't much rest. Had another family reunion this weekend for dad's side which went over great. Only 1 more party for the summer and its in August for my bro's 40 surprise. Oh and got a new horse!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
I'm always watching you.... always....

Morning guys and gals. Sorry haven't been around much, been insanely busy. Got moved into the new house. Wake up every morning to a living dream Moved in on a Wednesday and had a party for 150 people on Saturday. Needless to say there wasn't much rest. Had another family reunion this weekend for dad's side which went over great. Oh and got a new horse!
Mornin' Cincy - - - good to see someone got out of bed this morning. We DO need to watch that Scott character. You have night watch, I'll take day watch. .....

Holly smoke - - 150 people "IN" your new home. Must be the size of a church. Good going. And a new horse - - what fun. No wonder you are busy.

Off to Wally World and find some more Chinese crap and buy some some stuff at the health store. Bbbbyyyyyyyyyeeeee
Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Whether I type here...
or over here...
or right here in the middle of the room,

I

CaNnOt SeE aNYoNe iN hErE

Dear Bobby, my melon can no longer be swellin any larger then it already is.
One way to confirm that Lary and I are several year separated twins is to look at our MELONS...or our LEGGS!

Old 07-27-2012, 12:45 PM

Dear Bobby, my melon can no longer be swellin any larger then it already is.
One way to confirm that Lary and I are several year separated twins is to look at our MELONS...or our LEGGS!
Oh boy - - - I wondered when someone would bare their LEGGS again. Leave it to big boy. ........................

Need more ............
Old 07-27-2012, 05:29 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Hope you don't look in a mirror!
Ummm, my inner beauty is my strongpoint.

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Oh and got a new horse!
Somebody must really not like you.

...or our LEGGS!
Wonder if they re-used those staples on something.

Wow. Third day in a row of Florida type weather. Going back outside to enjoy it even though everything smells like fish.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Somebody must really not like you.
Y'know, I used to think that chickens were probably one of the dumbest animals God ever created. But then I discovered horses. You can put hay on the ground and they'll start to eat it. But then they'll turn around while munching on the hay and poop in the hay pile they were just eating out of. THEN, turn back around, sniff the hay pile with the poop on it and you can almost see what they're thinking... "Oh my God, there's POOP on this hay! I can't eat this!"

Evening all.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. Third day in a row of Florida type weather. Going back outside to enjoy it even though everything smells like fish.
74 on the overhead when I pulled into the driveway. Got the shorts and t-shirt on and sipping a bit of lemonade and bourbon on ice...I sure am glad the A/C works or I don't know what I'd do with all this heat!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Adaminak
74 on the overhead when I pulled into the driveway. Got the shorts and t-shirt on and sipping a bit of lemonade and bourbon on ice...I sure am glad the A/C works or I don't know what I'd do with all this heat!
Oh my gosh - - - another one showing off his LEGGS. What is with this bunch? .........................

Nitey nite, you crazee bunch.

Bob
Old 07-27-2012, 09:52 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Fronty is nuts and an 83 year old lady just yelled
Soylent Green is People!
Some old people really freak me out.
I ain't old (nuts maybe) and stay off my lawn!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Y'know, I used to think that chickens were probably one of the dumbest animals God ever created. But then I discovered horses. You can put hay on the ground and they'll start to eat it. But then they'll turn around while munching on the hay and poop in the hay pile they were just eating out of. THEN, turn back around, sniff the hay pile with the poop on it and you can almost see what they're thinking... "Oh my God, there's POOP on this hay! I can't eat this!"

Evening all.
The only thing dumber than a horse is a turkey...... or maybe a horse owner that doesn't put the hay in a feeder. A horses head is a tad narrower than his butt.

Quick Reply: Pitstop for strangers and the strange 7/22/12-7/28/12