Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Pipe staging

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Pipe staging

At work we commonly use pipe staging where we can't get a lift into easily (electrician). Or because someone is too cheap...

Anyhow, latest one is reworking some lights and adding ceiling fans in a gymnasium. I usually don't have much problem with staging, besides it being a pita to set up, but we already have 5 tiers of 5'? Staging to get to the lights. Will most likely need another 2 to get up to where the fans are going. It's already a bit shaky for the work we have to do, unless I'm just getting old. What are the safety requirements for using staging on wheels? We have outriggers that add a few feet to the base, I think is required for anything above 4 tiers.... These are pretty standard 5x5x7 sections. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When it comes to scaffolding, safety and training are paramount. But it is absolutely critical to be aware of its limits. The Scaffold Industry Association, Scaffold Contractors | Scaffold Manufacturers | Scaffold and Access Industry Association offers training courses. Years ago, I purchased Upright lightweight aluminum scaffolding for a long term project our company took on. Training was provided to everyone involved with the erection and utilization of the scaffolding. Outriggers were used and wheels locked when utilized.

I recommend you check out the OSHA website or a very informative publication: "A Guide to Scaffold Use in the Construction Industry / OSHA 3150." (You can download it for free at http://www.osha.gov.)

OSHA safety provisions note that a "competent person" must oversee the scaffolding's erection and dismantling and inspect it for visible defects before each day's use and following any occurrence of possible damage to any component. Is this scaffold rented or company owned. It appears you are in Mass. Is the work taking place in Mass?

Be safe and never short the bracing. Use bracing at all points provided and add extra braces if needed to insure stability. You have not provided enough info regarding the type (heavy pipe tube style with wooden planks perhaps) but nonetheless, you would be best served by checking out the OSHA doc noted above for the best help.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as lifts go, their heavy base weight is typically an issue in gymnasiums. We always used the Genie AWP series lightweight lifts where damage to the flooring was a concern. This lift allowed us to get more work done vs scaffolding.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:11 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Seriously? The labor to instal, move and take down scaffolding will be higher than renting a lift, not to mention your time climbing and staging your tools and materials.

I'd talk to your boss to see what the estimator was thinking...just my .02
Old 02-01-2015, 04:24 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd scissor lift the job. if you're worried about floor damage, lay down plywood or OSB to protect the floor from the tires.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
The estimator is the boss, who doesn't think past the green sometimes (time and material job). Staging is owned by us (company) and is stout with the ladder built in to it.

Ended up finishing the job today, with staging. Thank god for young willing help. Wasn't too bad, platform height was under 25' but i expressed its the last time using it for more then repairs. Was a pain running conduit along beams, hanging fans, pulling wire... Etc off a platform that needed 2 people to roll around, sometimes twice to hang one piece of pipe.

Name:  image_zpsda9b8ac4.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  80.6 KB
Old 02-11-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Glad you got it done safely!
Old 02-12-2015, 09:12 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by gorms
The estimator is the boss, who doesn't think past the green sometimes (time and material job). Staging is owned by us (company) and is stout with the ladder built in to it.

Ended up finishing the job today, with staging. Thank god for young willing help. Wasn't too bad, platform height was under 25' but i expressed its the last time using it for more then repairs. Was a pain running conduit along beams, hanging fans, pulling wire... Etc off a platform that needed 2 people to roll around, sometimes twice to hang one piece of pipe.
Like Six said, but that just plain nuts.