Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Now...For Some Questions About This New Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 01:42 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now...For Some Questions About This New Truck

Now that I've got it...I'm gonna show my ignorance and ask a a few questions.<br><br>1) I read in the Owner's Manual about the use of a winter front. What's the purpose of this? Why do I need it?<br><br>2) Back when I used to hang out at the Ford site I heard lots of talk about fuel additives. I haven't gotten far enough in the manual to see anything about this yet, but what are the additives, if any, that have to be added to the fuel and how often?<br><br>3) Oil changes every 7,500 miles, correct?? What's a good oil to use (I KNOW this one should stir the pot)? ;D<br><br>4) My truck has the engine block heater. At what point should it be plugged in and for how long before starting the engine?<br><br>5) I read about water getting in the fuel. Is this a common occurence? <br><br>6) Where are the stinkin' spark plugs on this thing??!! ??? <br><br><br>I guess that's all for now. I'll think of more later. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:59 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Now...For Some Questions About This New Truck

1. Don't worry about it. You're in Texas<br>2. Don't know, still researching that myself.<br>3. I change at 3500-4000 miles. Rotella-T 15-40 w a Fleetguard Stratapore whatever it is for an 03.<br>4. I usually plug mine in if the temp is going to drop below 30 at night.<br>5. Depend on how often and where you fuel.<br>6. In the intake. :<br><br>Taking into consideration that you are an Aggie, when you fuel up, match the word that is on the inside of the filler door(DIESEL) with the word on the pump(DIESEL) and you should be OK.<br>Glad you finally got one. Enjoy it while you can, before the wife takes it away from you. I'm glad my wife like the smaller truck.<br><br>Shortround out
Old 05-14-2003, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoss, <br>1) Being in TX I can't imagine you ever needing a cold front... its a solid grill insert that restrict airflow to the radiator allowing the motor to retain heat in a cold climate<br>2)Fuel additives are your choice, not required, there are many on the market which various claims, I personally use 12oz of Power Service in every tank.<br>3)I change mine every five... Rotella T 15w40<br>4)I plug mine in anytime below 50, if possible, for at least three hours before startup<br>5)Never had a problem with water in the fuel, just keep up with the filter changes and you'll be ok<br>6)You'll find the spark plugs are attached to wires coming from the distributor... they're somewhat elusive on these trucks, some folks say they don't exist. <br><br>Congrats on your truck dude... <br>-Dave
Old 05-14-2003, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the answers!! This is a learning experience for me. ;D ;D ;D<br><br>So...to summarize.<br><br>1) No winter front needed in Texas. That's good...I didn't really want to put one on. <br><br>2) Add Power Service at every fillup. Now....what exactly does Power Service do?? ???<br><br>3) I think I'll follow the Schedule B in the maintenance log for my oil changes....which was every 3,550 miles or some odd number like that. I'd rather change it too often than not enough. ;D Sounds like either Rotella 15W-40 or Delo 15W-40. <br><br>4) If it gets below 30-40 degrees....plug the block heater in. Can I just do this before I go to bed at night and unplug it in the morning...or does it have a maximum amount of time it should be plugged in??<br><br>5) Change filters often.<br><br>6) Still can't find those spark plugs....
Old 05-14-2003, 03:41 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

On question #4, invest in a decent timer.
I plug mine in at night (when forcast temp is &lt;40*) and have the timer set to turn on the block heater 3 hours brfore I leave in the AM.
Saves $$$ on the electric bill.

#7 2003's hold 12 quarts of oil.
#8 Look at www.genosgarage.com for filters, or your local Cummins Parts house.

Betcha didn't know that I'd answer before you'd asked.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:41 PM

One more....<br><br>7) I know I can look this up easily, but I don't have my manual handy. How many quarts of oil do these things take?<br><br>8) Where's the best place to purchase regular maintenance items (filters, oil, etc)? Autozone? Walmart? <br><br>
Old 05-14-2003, 03:42 PM

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=10;threadid=14726;start=0#138149 date=1052944871]<br>On question #4, invest in a decent timer.<br>I plug mine in at night and have the timer set to turn on the heater 3 hours brfore I leavee in the AM.<br>Saves $$$ on the electric bill.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Good idea. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:58 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a Cummins dealer near by, just use them. I picked up filters the other day. A Stratopore(or however it's spelled) oil filter was $7.67 and the fuel filter was in the same neighborhood. Don't use just any oil filter!!!!!! It's just a few cents more for the best and it will help KYAC if there is a problem.<br>Got fuel today at the FINA for a buck and a quarter/gal.<br>Since the subject came up &quot;Fuel additives.......pros, cons, likes, dislikes.&quot;
Old 05-14-2003, 04:05 PM

[quote author=shortround link=board=10;threadid=14726;start=0#138157 date=1052945907]<br>If you have a Cummins dealer near by, just use them. I picked up filters the other day. A Stratopore(or however it's spelled) oil filter was $7.67 and the fuel filter was in the same neighborhood. Don't use just any oil filter!!!!!! It's just a few cents more for the best and it will help KYAC if there is a problem.<br>Got fuel today at the FINA for a buck and a quarter/gal.<br>Since the subject came up &quot;Fuel additives.......pros, cons, likes, dislikes.&quot;<br>[/quote]<br><br>So you're suggesting that Stratopore (sp??) is the best filter to use then??<br><br>I haven't noticed what fuel around my area costs yet. Heck...I don't even know who sells it in my area yet. I've never cared before today! ;D<br><br>What does the manual say about additives? My Ford said not to use any additives at all (that was a gasser though).
Old 05-14-2003, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on yer new truck Hoss!<br>As far as fuel additives go..... dont worry about it. <br>I just add a bit of &quot;Howes&quot; every second fill up...i dont notice any difference. I Think it's just for my own piece of mind. <br><br>oh yeah...and keep an EXTRA set of spark plugs handy in your glove box, these babies EAT plugs like candy! :
Old 05-14-2003, 04:46 PM

[quote author=goldenears link=board=10;threadid=14726;start=0#138166 date=1052947975]oh yeah...and keep an EXTRA set of spark plugs handy in your glove box, these babies EAT plugs like candy! :<br>[/quote]<br><br>Will do.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:47 PM

Question #9 - I was just told that the 03 Dodges don't have glow plugs. I don't know if this is true or not, but if so then what is the purpose of the &quot;Wait to Start&quot; light?
Old 05-14-2003, 04:49 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

The Cummins uses a grid heater in the intake tract to bring the incoming air charge up in temps for cooler weather starts.<br><br>Think of two 750 watt toasters in the intake horn.<br>That's also why the Volt meter will dance up and down when the heaters are on.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:05 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Hoss, every single question you have asked here has been gone over a hundred times while you have been here. May I ask just what were you reading when you were here the last couple of years? <br><br> Don't worry though this is just between us I won't tell another soul..... I promise ;D

Quick Reply: Now...For Some Questions About This New Truck