Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Not the man my father was

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not the man my father was

My dad has been gone a little over 3 years now. He died reasonably young in his mid 70's. He spent 35 years in the Fire dept. as a Shift commander. Refusing the Chiefs job on at least 3 occasions, He shunned the political side of city bureaucracy and remained loyal to seeing that his shift returned to their families the next morning. He served in the War as a lineman , nothing spectacular just did his job and came home. I heard him gripe and complain about the Army same as I did when it came time to do my duty. I read in posts about people that do not feel a responsibility to their country and that can not maintain their allegiance how sad it is to know that my dad would have given his life to guarantee their right. And how UN-appreciative these folks have become.
I loved my Dad for what he gave and provided for me and my family I loved him even more for what he gave to those that he never knew. My dad was nothing special (only to those that knew him well) but he always represented the reason that we enjoy our freedom today. His story has been told over and over in the history of this nation but sadly it is told less often today than in the past. Today we have relatively few taking the lions share and a much larger group that is willing to give away all that those before them earned just to satisfy their desires.
It has taken some years for me to fully realize what my father truly gave. My dad grew up in an era where being a hero did not mean that you were captured by the enemy or caught a stray bullet in the butt. I can not name a true hero today although I know they exist.
My fathers and others like him made sacrifices so that I could own 4 different business's and raise 5 children I have hunted and guided out west and I have fished for some of the worlds greatest fighters. I have had years where I made more money than my dad made in 10 years. I am really nothing special only fortunate to follow in the footsteps of those that broke the trail for me.
I don't rally know why I am rambling here I guess because as I read the about how selfish some people are and how much they take for themselves, I think of how much my father gave and how little he took for himself. We who are as fortunate as I need to become the preachers for what we need to do to become a society of caring people.
I once told my father that he had given me so much that I did not know how to re-pay him what could I do as he really was able to do for himself most of what he needed done. His reply was simple he told me that if I could not find a way to do for him then I should re-pay it to others that needed the help. I have always remembered his words and tried to do for others. I know though that no matter how I try I will never have given enough to consider myself as half the man that he was.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Not the man my father was

Originally posted by blackjack
My dad has been gone a little over 3 years now. He died reasonably young in his mid 70's. He spent 35 years in the Fire dept. as a Shift commander. Refusing the Chiefs job on at least 3 occasions, He shunned the political side of city bureaucracy and remained loyal to seeing that his shift returned to their families the next morning. He served in the War as a lineman , nothing spectacular just did his job and came home. I heard him gripe and complain about the Army same as I did when it came time to do my duty. I read in posts about people that do not feel a responsibility to their country and that can not maintain their allegiance how sad it is to know that my dad would have given his life to guarantee their right. And how UN-appreciative these folks have become.
I loved my Dad for what he gave and provided for me and my family I loved him even more for what he gave to those that he never knew. My dad was nothing special (only to those that knew him well) but he always represented the reason that we enjoy our freedom today. His story has been told over and over in the history of this nation but sadly it is told less often today than in the past. Today we have relatively few taking the lions share and a much larger group that is willing to give away all that those before them earned just to satisfy their desires.
It has taken some years for me to fully realize what my father truly gave. My dad grew up in an era where being a hero did not mean that you were captured by the enemy or caught a stray bullet in the butt. I can not name a true hero today although I know they exist.
My fathers and others like him made sacrifices so that I could own 4 different business's and raise 5 children I have hunted and guided out west and I have fished for some of the worlds greatest fighters. I have had years where I made more money than my dad made in 10 years. I am really nothing special only fortunate to follow in the footsteps of those that broke the trail for me.
I don't rally know why I am rambling here I guess because as I read the about how selfish some people are and how much they take for themselves, I think of how much my father gave and how little he took for himself. We who are as fortunate as I need to become the preachers for what we need to do to become a society of caring people.
I once told my father that he had given me so much that I did not know how to re-pay him what could I do as he really was able to do for himself most of what he needed done. His reply was simple he told me that if I could not find a way to do for him then I should re-pay it to others that needed the help. I have always remembered his words and tried to do for others. I know though that no matter how I try I will never have given enough to consider myself as half the man that he was.
If you live your life with the tone that you express in the story, you are every bit the man he was
Old 04-08-2004, 07:04 PM
DPG

blackjack, you are truely blessed to have had a father like that.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well said Blackjack.

MikeyB
Old 04-08-2004, 07:32 PM

I did not join the armed forces, went to work right out of highschool. My father had a physical disability that made him unable to pass the physical. (Polio as a child etc.) My Grandfather, now deceased, had to run the family business to support his family. The three of us all are or were small business owners. After reading your post, all I can say on behalf of my family is thank-you and God bless you and your father for protecting our freedoms and rights that created this great country.
It's nice to see the pride you have in your father... we can all learn from your post. Tomorrow morning I'm calling my dad and telling him I love him.

Best wishes,
Rick
Old 04-08-2004, 07:42 PM

Rick
no thanks needed but much appreciated. Payment for me has always been living in this great country with all of the freedoms.
Call your dad and tell him there may come a time when he is not there to tell.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:17 PM

"My dad was nothing special" You are wrong my friend. Your dad was and is special. Reading that reminded me a lot of my dad. He also died at the young age of 73. He was also a WWII vet. He was and is someone special. Like Haulin' said- You are every bit the man your dad was.
Tom
Old 04-09-2004, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Not the man my father was

Originally posted by blackjack
........I don't rally know why I am rambling here I guess because as I read the about how selfish some people are and how much they take for themselves, I think of how much my father gave and how little he took for himself. We who are as fortunate as I need to become the preachers for what we need to do to become a society of caring people.
Blackjack:

Sounds like your dad was a great man who lived by the rule "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". You are right, it is not what we have but what we can give and I am thankful to live in a great country where we have the freedoms and means to help others who are not as fortunate. There are a lot of great people on this site who help out by giving great advice. Just wish society as a whole was like this.

John (DH)