Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

no more ocean fishing??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no more ocean fishing??

The eco nuts are at it again.They have a intermitten ban on rock fish fishing here, and now I hear they have some 30 million$$$ to buy out the commercial guys. this is these guys way of making a living and has been for generations. They already have the screws put to them by regulations and limit the season for various catches.
between the land closures and ocean closures soon it will be all look but dont touch. I think they want us all to sit on our butts and watch the tube or something??
Love your country, fear your goverment.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:04 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wish they would Ban the giant Trawlers and let the Little guys be able to make a living. I watch drag trawlers pull up tons of fish as they rape the bottem of all life and toss about 1/4 over the side dead because they are not supposed to catch them.. Such as our Salmon. Outlaw the Trawler and there will be lots of fish in a few years.

Save a tree burn an Tree Hugger
Old 06-09-2004, 02:32 PM

Fishing Ban

Longliners also

John (DH)
Old 06-09-2004, 04:56 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
One problem I see is that so much is really wasted while fishing for some species- OK it makes fish cheap, but very much gets thrown away and the oceans are getting emptier. Some eco-nuts still haven't caught the meaning of an eco-system. If I don't see something i doesn't mean it doesn't exist. (At least ours suppose that anything they don't see is inexistant)

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 06-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My nephew is a biology major. Word is that 50% of the oceans fish will be extinct in 20 years. Too many people on this planet. Japanese are back to killing whales for "research". Put a ban on people and the rest of the planet will catch back up.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:36 PM

True, seems like well run out of everything sooner than later at the rate were going with so many people around. most of the guys here are small time buisness. they going down one by one. Fishing has been part of this counties mainstays for many generations. Morro Bay, Avila, etc. Kinda of a shame to see it dissapear. So many new people moving here from other places its changing from small town charm to big city politics.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:10 PM

You guys are right, I am a marine police officer on the Cheaspeake Bay of Va. We focus mainly on the commercial fishing industry. We spend days and weeks building cases to catch the guys that are overfishing or over crabbing, finally catching them only to get a substitute judge who knows nothing about the industry and he dismisses the case or just slapps them on the wrist. The small fines are just "overhead" for them
Old 06-09-2004, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by spots
My nephew is a biology major. Word is that 50% of the oceans fish will be extinct in 20 years.

Spots, I would take it with a grain of salt anything I learned from a liberal instution such as a public university. Those liberals and eco freaks have agenda's and are not above lying or exagerating to protect their special interests.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:18 PM

I think that the commercial fishing industry needs some very careful regulation. But most of that regulation needs to take place outside of this country. Sure we have violation etc.. but look at the Alaskan salmon industry still pretty healthy from what I hear. Now look at the Asian fishing industry and for that matter the Canadian commercial trawlers. Way too much rape of the resources. I fish everyday on the Great lakes and I have seen the Western basin of Lk. Erie go from 80 million Walleye down into the 20 million. Yet I see Canadian Gill nets so thick that it is sometimes hard to keep my lines out of them. The real sorrow here is that the recreational sportsmen have paid for the rebirth of the fishing population through planting and fishing licenses just to watch the commercials gill net these fish and when the pickings start to get slim they drop down a couple of sizes on the net and start taking smaller fish. By the way the Canadians do not plant any Walleye in lake Erie. Michigan and Ohio along with Penn. and N.Y. supply these fish all with recreational fishing dollars. Then you see a Trawler filled with Smelt ( bait fish) and they are dumping tons of fish because they are over the quota. ( we have this on film and we have taken it to the Ontario ministry,) Now don't mis understand I like Canada and Canadians in fact the Canadian charter captains feel the same way about this but it seems like pure greed for some of these guys and not much enforcement.the other thing that lights my fuse is that you can understand if these guy's were trying to make a go and hold on to the old family traditions, but a huge number of these fisherman are from Portugal and can't even communicate. Sorry for the prejudice but com'mon. it's just big business disguised as something else. We fished these lakes out and polluted them to almost dead seas. Now through sportsman efforts they have been born again so are we going to now commercial fish them into dying. again.

Well Apache I apologize for hijacking your thread so I will shut up for now I am quite ticked about commercial fishing in general but not so stupid to think that it can't exist. Also not so naive to think that the Echo-nuts and tree huggers have any answers at all. We are however depleting our fisheries all over the world at alarming rates. It is time to apply some common sense and develop fish farming to the art that we have as in raising livestock for commercial adaptation. Is this really much different than buffalo and Elk and Deer ? not as easy to count .
O.K. shut up John O.K. Gotta go fishing in the morning.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:44 PM

Those Eco-nuts and Granola Crunchers are up here in AK in force! This is the last state w/ lots of federally owned land where they want to have a big influence because this is Nature...an environmentalist's home. They have limited some fishing in certain villages to the point that those fishermen had no income for 3 yrs. These are commercial fishermen and the little guys too.

Environmental politics stink. If the Nuts had their way we'd have too many fish, animals, and forest fires to handle. In fact, Homer (a small town 200 miles south of here) is a town controlled by liberal Enviros. They don't want to cut down the hundreds of acres of spruce trees that have been killed by the Spruce Beetle. I predict that within a couple of years that whole town is going up in smoke because of that fire hazard.

Granola Crunchers are evil.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by welder27
Environmental politics stink. If the Nuts had their way we'd have too many fish, animals, and forest fires to handle. In fact, Homer (a small town 200 miles south of here) is a town controlled by liberal Enviros. They don't want to cut down the hundreds of acres of spruce trees that have been killed by the Spruce Beetle. I predict that within a couple of years that whole town is going up in smoke because of that fire hazard.

Granola Crunchers are evil.
They'll just have to learn the hard way. 50% of the local forest here has been killed off by the bark beetle, compounded by the 7 year drought.

I spent 6 days last year on the fire siege. It burned over 300K acres in the San Bernardino mountains, and only 10% of the dead trees burned. Now were preparing for the same this year, but with no large aircraft to fight the fires. Feds grounded them because the wings keep falling off
Old 06-10-2004, 06:20 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Ram04
Spots, I would take it with a grain of salt anything I learned from a liberal instution such as a public university. Those liberals and eco freaks have agenda's and are not above lying or exaggerating to protect their special interests.
Oh I do. I ususally do my own research into things that I want to know about. But IMO he is right on with the fishing. He is not an eco nut. Pushing out kids like it is a race, driving a big SUV, more weed killer on his grass than I have ever used etc. He researched this and knows what he is talking about, again IMO. Have a good one.