Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   Is this a new virus or just spam? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/new-virus-just-spam-38793/)

Mexstan 02-07-2004 09:39 AM

Is this a new virus or just spam?

Have just received an e-mail supposedly from Yahoo. The subject is "_Your_ Yahoo user ID" and then my email address. Sounds suspicious to me so have not opened it. Why the underscores? Should I just delete it?

scottrod 02-07-2004 09:42 AM

I would dump it- I've been getting several of the newest viruses sent to me almost daily. If it has an attachment and I don't know who it's from- delete-
Too many bad things on the net anymore:(

Mexstan 02-07-2004 09:45 AM

I can't see any attachment on this. Any email from someone I don't know that has an attachment is automatically dumped. The underscores on this one is what made me suspicious.

MnTom 02-07-2004 09:59 AM

DUMP IT now. There have been some scams going around that use the info asked for to get personal info for ID theft. A friend of mine got one that said something about his paypal account. The only thing is he did not have an account. Dump it.
Tom

Lary Ellis (Top) 02-07-2004 10:44 AM

Get rid of it Stan, too many viruses going around to chance reading it. I don't open anything I don't expect from someone.

Mexstan 02-07-2004 11:05 AM

Thanks guys. It's dumped and my trash cleaned out also.

Shovelhead 02-07-2004 12:34 PM

I too have been receiving e-mails from Yahoo, as well as several a day from folks I've never heard of with "Hello" in the subject line and attachments.:rolleyes:

I just delete the whole bunch and move on.

FiverBob 02-07-2004 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Shovelhead
I too have been receiving e-mails from Yahoo, as well as several a day from folks I've never heard of with "Hello" in the subject line and attachments.:rolleyes:

I just delete the whole bunch and move on.

Ha - - now I know why you didn't answer me. And I was thinking really bad thoughts about you. [verymad]

Just teasin. :D

Bob

Shovelhead 02-07-2004 01:57 PM

Hey Bob, just wanted to say thanks for sending a little bit of sun up this way today.:D

DPG 02-07-2004 02:26 PM

The writers of viruses have found a way to imbed an attachment in the e-mail message, so it's not safe to even open the e-mail much less the attachment. I've had my Norton Anti-virus autmatically delete virus-carrying e-mails at least twice a week. There have been virus carrying e-mails sent from "VISA," e-bay, etc. None are from the organizations that they claim to be. I never open an e-mail that is not from someone I know. I must get 50 Spams a day.

DeWain

amartinson 02-07-2004 03:12 PM

Originally posted by DPG
I must get 50 Spams a day.

DeWain

Someone has to do something about this. The government finally has telemarketers under control somewhat, hopefully, this will be next.

spots 02-08-2004 09:26 AM

I was told by my ISP provider that if you have 4 numbers behind your name on email IE

bill4569@wherever.com then the chances of spam are near zero. I recently changed my email addy and added numbers because of the spam I was receiving. My yahoo is like this and has been for years and I rarely get spam. I know it is a pain to change an addy but deleting all that spam was a pain, and spam filters were dumping good mail. I was missing important emails. FWIW