Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Scammer phone calls

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Scammer phone calls

So, I, like most of the poor folks in the good old USA receive several hundred calls a month from robo callers, scammers, telemarketers, etc, and in the last year or two, I've saved about 800 phone numbers which are "blocked" from ringing on my phone. THey still go to voicemail, but at least my phone doesn't ring.

So, tonight, I'm sitting at my computer, and a local cell number comes up, and I answer the phone, thinking it's a business inquiry from a potential customer.

Guy says " hi there. You just called this number, and hung up. Did you want something ?

I reply back...

"Uh.. I haven't dialed out at all today, other than my wife and I don't know what you're talking about."

He replies back...

"These *&&^***$%% Scammers ! Here I am thinking you are calling me, and I call you back, and it's one of these horrible #&#^%%@& using your number to represent a local caller....

I asked him if they said anything, or left a message, and he said no.

Anyone else having their phone number being used as a "caller id" to scam someone else ? I know they use "false" numbers, but I didn't know they could use a legitimate number to be represented on someone's caller ID.

First I've ever heard of this. You ?
Old 11-13-2017, 07:21 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I've heard of it, and I've had someone text me telling me I called them...

It's out of control. I get a boat load of calls on my house phone. I wish I could find out where these people are...
Old 11-13-2017, 07:47 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Common practice they spoof real numbers to hide their own....I got rid of my land line because they purpose it filled was a conduit for hundreds of calls from spammers every month.

At least on the cell we can block numbers but like you say they can still leave a voice mail and they just change numbers.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:32 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I received two this morning.
one posing as the Canada Revenue Agency. A couple questions for them and they hung up.
the other was froma remote town in my
province. Didn’t answer, no voicemail either
Old 11-14-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
I've been getting calls claiming to be from the CDC.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
If you own a PBX (Private Branch Exchange) (coupla hundred on fleabay) and a trunk line with CID, (not much more than a POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) line, and your provider is careless and doesn't block outgoing caller ID's (Assigned by your PBX), you can put any number on the call you wish for an ID.

I accidentally assigned the number for a risque bar to an accounting gal one time. Caught a little **** for that goof.

The solution, as I see it, is for our regulators to put out a rule with teeth that the providers have to properly block unassigned ID's. That one simple move would totally block bogus caller ID usage.

Meanwhile, it's a free for all. To track a call, you have to hang up and dial a code into your phone. After 2 or 3 of the same caller (they're switching ID's so how would you know) you can have the phone company turn over the traces to a LEO. You will be billed a technical fee for the service unless it's ordered by a court.

It is normal and acceptable for you to be royally PO'd about the whole thing.