Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New Job - Two Week Notice- Employer Negotiations - Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New Job - Two Week Notice- Employer Negotiations - Question

Got it??

Okay...here's the situation. I got a good offer, accepted it and turned in my two week notice this morning.

One of the head guru guys down at the main office just called me...wanted to know why I was leaving, etc.

I explained that, first of all, my career hasn't progressed as quickly as I would like it to, and second, we'd like to relocate to the Austin area.

He told me that they'd like to keep me in the company if they can and that they could relocate me to Austin area. He asked me to give him a day or two to see what they could come up with to make me want to stay.

So...now that you're up to speed...here's the question:

I was recently told by a recruiter who was helping me negotiate with another company to NEVER accept any offers from your current employer if they tried to convince you to stay. However, I don't know why he would say that. So, my question is...if you're current employer wants to keep you...and you think that given the right opportunities you could grow within the company...and it is a good company...and if they make a nice offer to try and keep you...why not take it??
Old 03-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, sometime employers who convince you to stay tend to remember you first when things get tough and changes, layoffs, etc need to happen. No doubt, it would be a hard decision for you to make.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by crobtex
Unfortunately, sometime employers who convince you to stay tend to remember you first when things get tough and changes, layoffs, etc need to happen.
Why is that?
Old 03-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I agree with crobtex, they can hold a grudge and then dump you at the first opportunity because you went looking elsewhere for a job. Once you turn in notice you are wise to keep moving.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lack of faithfulness and dedication to the company. The old, "Well, he was going to leave us anyway." management mentality.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We hate to see both you and Dan leaving. But even with that bias I feel Charlie is right.

They didn't step up until you were leaving. You stay and they can begin to feel like you owe them.

They certainly won't forget that you were packing up.

Flipside, you still get to go to Austin and it might put it farther from their minds.

Double flipside, you can appreciate that they want you enough to step up to the plate and keep you.

So I'm sure this was no help, exactly the things you're asking for insight about.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:47 PM

I suppose that makes sense, but if they felt that way then why would they ever try to convince anyone to stay?
Old 03-06-2006, 03:03 PM

Because as a recruiter he probably doesn't get his share of a "finders fee" if everyone he finds a job for ends up taking an offer from their current employer to stay.

~Rob
Old 03-06-2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
I suppose that makes sense, but if they felt that way then why would they ever try to convince anyone to stay?

There are a lot of companies out there that are only concerned with keeping people once that person has told them they are leaving. It's a dumb thing to do but that's the way a lot of businesses are.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by hotdram
Because as a recruiter he probably doesn't get his share of a "finders fee" if everyone he finds a job for ends up taking an offer from their current employer to stay.

~Rob
That's what I thought too...as far as he was concerned...but I wondered if there was some legitimate reason (like the company holding a grudge for you wanting to leave) that maybe I wasn't aware of.

Anyway, they asked me if they could have a day or two to see what they can do to make me want to stay. I figure there's no harm in seeing what they're willing to do. They could make me an offer I can't refuse or they could just come back and wish me well with my new job.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:10 PM

There is some truth to what Crobtex says. I don't think of it as a grudge. To the company it is business. If you and another person are of the same job grade/skill level, but they just gave you a healthy raise to stick around (now you make more than someone else of the same job grade), you rise to the top of the list when it comes time to save money by cutting employees.

As dslchk said, it is common practice for companies to counter offer when you attempt to leave. Now they have to train someone for your position (ie making concrete bedliners), it costs a lot of money to bring a new person on board. They want to retain their asset, you.

~Rob
Old 03-06-2006, 03:19 PM

Suppose they don't offer more money...but rather just offer to relocate me to the Austin area. To me, that wouldn't really be a counter-offer. That would be more of a "hey...if relocating this guy is what we need to do to keep him happy then let's do it". I suppose that would be a different circumstance?

Regardless, unless something drastic happens I'm still planning to start with a new company two weeks from today. I was just wondering why it's a bad idea to accept a counter-offer from your current employer.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Banned

In situations like this generalities do not usualy fit well. It really hinges on your relationship with the comany. Is it you they really like? or they just hate to go to the trouble of filling your vacancy? If they like you so much, and they may, why have they not tried to see what they can do to keep you happy and for themselves earlier? The best judge of this can only be you. Good luck with it either way.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:35 PM

One; if you have already told the new company yes, it would be breaking your word. I've had the same issue twice now just transfereing. My current station offered me more money and promotions when the found out I wanted to transfer.

Two; why can't they offer you the money before? That iritates me more then anything.

Had you considered transfering to Austian with your current employer? Why not? That may be enough reason right there.

Randy
Old 03-06-2006, 03:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Once you turn in notice you are wise to keep moving.
That is a fact.

You have made the move Hoss, don't look back. If they want to hire you back in 2-3 years fine.

Kinda nice to be wanted huh? Kinda makes ya wonder why the guys around here treat you the way they do.

Quick Reply: New Job - Two Week Notice- Employer Negotiations - Question