Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   need help on street bikes.... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/need-help-street-bikes-83273/)

jumpinj 11-18-2005 05:21 PM

if you buy an sv650

definitely buy used. It is a great bike but the naked sport bikes will not sell as well right now. Not the cool thing now. All these guys make great points. I have had to take an course to ride in the military and it is a good thing to do. putting pride on the side and you will usually get a insurace break. Depends with who and where how much of a discount. Look into it.

Beeram305 11-18-2005 05:38 PM

I'm payin right around 250 a year for my insurance, on the same policy as all our vehicles, so it made a good discount (Also in my dads name to keep it cheap). A training course is a great idea, to help your skills and also get you your endorsement. Plus, its a great time to buy because not too many people deal bikes over winter, and they should be cheaper, dont spend 9k on a new bike when you can find a great used bike for 5-6k. About the passengers, our instructor told our group to put at least a few thousand miles before you take any passengers with you.

surfer5567 11-18-2005 06:07 PM

shibby. that sounds like a plan. thats y im kinda lookin now for a bike cause its winter and no one really rides now

Smokeitup 11-18-2005 07:08 PM

Surfer
Don't listen to these guys. Get what ever you want and ride it however you want. Doing all the the tricks and stunts when you feel comfortable with the bike. The sport bikes are the best for the tricks. Life is to short to be afraid. You be the judge and follow your gut, after all it is your money, your girlfriend and your life not theirs.

jumpinj 11-18-2005 07:18 PM

well,

if we all felt like that there wouldn't be any need for this website now would there. I applaud someone trying to get informed about a purchase that will by no means be an investment and can offer so much enjoyment or be a money pit if the purchase is regretted. [rant] :rolleyes:

oxman 11-18-2005 07:58 PM

smokeitup, your name suits you well as you must have smoked up when you gave that advise, I bet you can do a real good wheelie can't ya on that zx-10...

Actually one point to be made is it really doesn't matter the size of the bike, you can kill yourself on a 250cc or a litre bike, YOU control (or lack of) the bike, if you can limit how much you turn your wrist then you can handle it. 99% of the people can't and the bigger bikes will get you into trouble FASTER than the 600's.

Off the line the 600's are every bit as fast as the litre bikes, you couldn't ride one faster to 100mph than the other, after that theres a difference. The physical size of the bikes is very similer also

Take the MSF course, get a bike your comfortable on, get your GEAR and WEAR it everytime you ride! As far as bikes go, its hard to beat the hondas, I ridden on the street and raced Yamaha's and Honda's, the honda's are always smoother and have better transmissions. The SV-650 is a great bike and unstoppable in the twisties in the right hands but it has less than 80 hp, is a twin, it will run out of steam before the inlines. I'd reccomend the honda 600rr, or Yamaha r6 (the new r6 is SWEET). Go sit on them and see whats more comfortable.

Did I mention gear, its important, I've gone down several times, once over 100mph and got right up, I've also seen several people die on the street and the track, its dangerous, take your time and leave the ego behind. When your ready go check out some track days as they will improve your riding skill more than you can imagine. They are also very addictive and a money sucking pit, which is why I'm giving up the street and selling my R1 to pay for next race season. Good luck, its a fun but dangerous sport.

Beeram305 11-18-2005 08:21 PM

I wouldn't listen to a thing smokeitup says, sounds like he doesnt have much concern for your safety. A litrebike is waaaaay to much for a first bike, some of these bikes make over 150 hp, and although I have never ridden one, I'm sure they could pick up the front end in the first 3 gears easily. Oxman is right, the new r6's are sweet, my friend bought one, and they are dominating the moto gp's. That said, look for a bike thats a few years old and save a ton. I bought mine for 6k, had 970 miles, a little less than 2 years old, and i got a 500 dollar suit with it.

Bart Timothy 11-18-2005 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by pappyman
I own many bikes from big motor custom built to a little 1949 125cc Harley Hummer ]

Harley Hummer!!! Brings back many fond memories.

Smokeitup 11-19-2005 12:59 PM

Oxman and Beeram305 you guys are missing the point of surfers question. He was asking for advise on what type of bike to purchase for some fun riding. He is twenty years old and doesn't need a sermon on the evil sport bike. I have been riding bikes for almost 20 years and have raced everything from dirt to road. All I was trying to tel him was liisten to all of the advice, take what you want and make your own descision. People should not try and scare other people away from experiencing something that could be one of the most exciting times of thier life. He may or may not ride crazy but what ever he does decide to do it is his decision and his consequences.

Beeram305 11-19-2005 02:03 PM

Right Smokeitup,

But I am 20 as well, and have a 600 as my first bike. I was recommended by everyone (and I mean everyone) to stay away from the big bikes. Sure, I could have gotten one and ridden very conservatively, but I would be too tempted to just hammer the throttle at one point or another and not know how hard it would pull, us being 20 and all.

That said, my next bike is going to be a 1000. :D

2k1yzfr1 11-19-2005 02:44 PM

Actually age doesnt really have anything to do with it. Experience is what matters. I am only 16 and have a GSXR750 but I have riden dirtbike all my life. My first bike was a 99 ducati monster.
For a starter bike I would try and find either a yzf600r or an f4i. Both are comfortable bikes that arent blazing fast like all the race 600s.

Ph4tty 11-19-2005 05:24 PM

Take the course- pay attention and lose the cocky attitude.
There are two types of bikers- those who have gone down and those who will.
Buy gear because sooner or later you're going down.

You've got to walk before you can run so take the course, buy a used bike and some gear, then you can decide what bike you really want.

I like the Kaws and ride a Vulcan 1600 [roll] Self adjusting valves are always nice.

2k1yzfr1 11-19-2005 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Phatboy
There are two types of bikers- those who have gone down and those who will.

Haha been watching too much Biker Boys huh?

"Well there must be 3 types, Them and me cause Im good."

But I know what you mean, alot of people that buy streetbikes get out there in front of alot of people and try to showoff and end up wrecking.

Honestly if you have ever rode a motorcycle of any type dont take the class. What they teach you in there is either common sense or is a major no-no. I had to take it since I was under 18 or I wouldnt have taken it.

jumpinj 11-19-2005 07:47 PM

Honestly if you have ever rode a motorcycle of any type dont take the class. What they teach you in there is either common sense or is a major no-no. I had to take it since I was under 18 or I wouldnt have taken it.

[director] Will all due respect for you a seasoned vet. Do you pay your own insurance? Because anybody that shells out hundreds of dollars for insurance will swallow their pride like what was slung all over the place in the above statement and take a one day course to lower their premium.

Now I can only hope you ment you will not learn anything new, but it is still bad advice because the no-nos you speak of are not always common sense.

Remember it only takes one ah crap to get you kill.

Shovelhead 11-19-2005 09:06 PM

You can be the best rider since Eddie Lawson.
When "Granny-Blue-Hair" sitting on her pillow in her Linclon Town Car makes that left turn across your path, your time will come.
And some information or manuver taught in the course that you now think of as "Useless" might just save your life.
I took the Rider's Course with my Stepson after riding for 20 years and learned stuff that has kept me upright on several occasions.