Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   Need a cost-effective desktop... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/need-cost-effective-desktop-255947/)

G1625S 10-30-2009 08:48 AM

Need a cost-effective desktop...

Have all the peripherals, just need a windows based box for our loft computer station. Primarily web surfing. Would it be cheaper to build or buy? Been looking on e-bay, but the optioins are just a bit overwhelming[duhhh]
greg

Totallyrad 10-30-2009 08:54 AM

Price watch, Tiger Direct, Newegg. Always check out the specials on Tiger Direct. If you can put it together the bare bones units can be had pretty cheap.

Here's the special on Tiger right now.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/wem...mail-_-wem2068

This Bundle Includes

Asus M3A78-EM Motherboard
AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad Core OEM Processor (CPU Fan not included)
(2x) Ultra 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory
PowerUp ATX Black Mid-Tower Case w/ Clear Side, Front I/O Ports & 450-Watt PSU

G1625S 10-30-2009 08:58 AM

That's what I was thinking. It's been so long since I put one together, it might be like reading a foriegn language[laugh] Would like to try though, and a simple system can't be that hard, can it?

Totallyrad 10-30-2009 09:02 AM

You got me, I've never built one but for a reasonable fee they will assemble it and verify everything is operating to spec.:cool:

Lary Ellis (Top) 10-30-2009 09:13 AM

Check techbargains.com as well, they usually list the best deals going ;)

brianhanna 10-30-2009 10:06 AM

You can buy them already built pretty cheap these days. For web-surfing, one of those $299 things will work. It'll be a little slow but it'll work.

chaikwa 10-30-2009 12:24 PM

What's all this hi-tech talk got to do with a desk top? Get yourself a nice piece of oak or maple laminate, glue it to the top of your desk and be done with it.

Sheesh! [duhhh]

chaikwa.

BigIron70 10-30-2009 01:11 PM

Building a computer today is easier then ever. The new operating system and high speed internet make it that much better. I have built many systems and find it much more rewarding to actually build your own. You decide what video card, memory, motherboard, case and power supply you want then go from there. Never buy the bargain priced system since you will regret it later. Older system (motherboards) are sometimes not compatible with the newer drivers and operating systems. So do some checking online before you cut loose with the cash for the too good to be true system.

15 Digger 10-30-2009 03:52 PM

Dont know what you want to spend but for 600 or so you can get a Dell xps which comes with American tech support with short wait times. You can also buy Dell from Costco with upgraded warranty etc. With software and parts it is hard to build cheaper than you can buy.

mikmaze 10-30-2009 05:31 PM

this is a good option, loaded with ram, big drive..... and cheap.

http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-pavilion-...211959107.html

HMX-1 10-31-2009 12:28 AM

You might want to look at a barebone Dell desktop for a deal.

I build computers all the time and unless you're building a rig for some high end use (gaming, graphic design, etc.) you won't see a cost savings because you'll still need to buy an operating system, and 9 times out of 10 you'll spend more building an entry level rig that you would just buying one pre-made.

Kris

Jim Lane 10-31-2009 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by G1625S (Post 2616684)
That's what I was thinking. It's been so long since I put one together, it might be like reading a foriegn language[laugh] Would like to try though, and a simple system can't be that hard, can it?

A computer is really easy to build, I have been building all of my computers ever since my 286, I always use high end motherboards like Intel or Asus and fast processors but you would not need speed for what you want.
I would just recommend staying away from really cheap boards like EIS.
Computers are a lot easier to build than they used to be; now if it doesn't fit it doesn't go there.
My current computer is a quad core with liquid cooling, I used to build a new computer about every 6 months but I have slowed down and it has been about a year now.

I was just at Fry’s and I cannot believe how people have to pay $85.00/ hr to replace a part that they could do by themselves.

Jim

G1625S 10-31-2009 07:25 AM

Thanks for all the interest in this thread, fellas! I've got some better direction now[coffee]

Wolfcsm 11-02-2009 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by G1625S (Post 2616684)

One you build will more than likely end up costing more than one bought as a system.

Take a look at E-Machines. They seem to be good systems that work.

Hal