Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Need advice taking meds while working night shift.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice taking meds while working night shift.

Hello guys
I was having some issues last summer and was diagnosed with a 99% blockage of my LAD artery aka the "widowmaker" . Fortunately I was diagnosed in time and had a stent placed and suffered no appreciable damage to my heart. The doc has me taking lipitor, clopidogrel and metropolol along with a 325mg aspirin daily. The doc doesn't seem concerned when I take them or if I take them all at once. I have been trying to find out when I should take them for best effectiveness and wondering if any of you guys or gals take these meds and when it is best for you to take them. My schedule is complicated as my bed time is 8am 4 days a week and 10pm the other 3 as I work nights. Any insight or advice would be most welcome.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:01 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I take all of these and more....as to what time is best to take them, every individual is different. I have been doing the medication dance for a couple years now, changing types and times of day to take them in a effort to find the right the right mixture.

Best thing is to talk to your Docs PA if they have one. I have found them more willing to spend time to help you find that perfect balance than the Doctor is.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:28 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
OK, going to step into this and maybe open a huge can of worms.

First; fire your doctor!

Will just touch on a few points and try to keep this short. Will put on my flame proof suit once I hit send.

Any and all medication that goes into your body changes your metabolism in some ways, normally not good ways. Aspirin is a NSAID and like Tylenol, is one of the most poisonous products on the market and does tremendous harm to your kidneys. Nobody has a clue what mixing meds does to a body because it is impossible to do very expensive and time consuming tests to find out. Big pharma is not going to do this because they are not interested in your health, but only interested in selling more drugs. Most doctors practice (experiment) on you at your expense. Most doctors treat symptoms and then prescribe meds, many of which are controversial, especially when combined with other meds. Very few doctors look at root causes. The FDA is in the pocket of big pharma, so you will not receive any help from them either.

Stents etc typically address a symptom and not the root cause of the problem and in time could cause you even more problems, including a life dependency on harmful and expensive chemicals. Do you know the root cause of your problem? Bet ya that it is your lifestyle and diet. If one section of your arteries are clogged, what do you think the rest of them are like? Back to the the real question, what is the ROOT CAUSE of your problem?

Could write a few pages about this, but instead suggest that you do yourself a huge favor and look up John Bergman on the internet and take a long hard look and listen to some of his over 400 videos. Some of his videos address your problem directly. Be prepared to have your eyes opened big time. Once you have viewed some of his videos, please come back here and tell us what you discovered about your body.

BTW, I take zero meds and have not done so for many years. Never get sick either as I am very careful of what I put in my mouth. Always remember, your body is a direct product of what you put into your mouth
Old 05-31-2018, 12:42 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I take a number of meds and consider their function to normalize my body's chemistry because of inherited traits. I have a friend who enjoys perfect health including gums,and teeth. He eats everything and anything as do both sides of his family. They live forever.
My docs are very informative and helpful.
I rarely take supplements. If I do it's from companies that have had their product independently tested and carry the USP label.
I agree on the importance of consuming fresh food. If I went vegetarian I could probably chuck a med but that ain't happening. For the majority of folks,diet and exercise work wonders.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:04 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Working nights, while I didn't take medications required, I kept breakfast lunch and dinner in sync with when I woke up, when it was lunch time and after work. So no matter where I was on the 24hr clock, my body expected food at it's regular intervals. If it were me, my plan of attack for takng my medications would be with me waking/eating schedule. Of course the types of meds would factor in. Anything that would make me groggy or impair my ability would be done after work/prior to sleep.

To summarize, adjust meds to YOUR 24hr day, not the world's Monday-Friday 8-5.

I echo what the guys say about healthy eating to maintain and manage your machine. No use putting in what you know is bad watered down diesel after you change out the fuel filters. Clean up your fuel
Old 05-31-2018, 01:14 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh and the way you clean up your eating when working nights and all there is open is Denny's IHOP and Waffle Houses - you meal prep. Grill up your clean meats, veggies and reasonable carbs on your weekends off. Grab a pack of chicken breasts and marinade them, then put them on the grill. Cook some good rice or pasta or potatoes, put that in the bottom of each of your tupperwares. Grill up or stirfry up your veggies (or fresh sliced) put that on top of the carbs. Next top with your sliced up grilled meats. Put the lid on and put the stack of them in the fridge. You can make 8-10 meals so you got food when you leave for work in your lunchbox, and come home from work and you're starving. This will allow you to have food ready, you just need to heat up. And also allow a spare day to eat out and grab something fast food/cheat meal.

Keeps your eating right and keeps your costs down for food too. Plus you get to grill out on a day off and have a beer while prepping your workweek food. Make it the social night by tossing some grill out food that night too.