Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Mystery gas bottle (pressure)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:27 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Mystery gas bottle (pressure)

What is it? or more specifically what kind of product would it have contained?
looks like a high pressure gas bottle. Bung on top is solid with no ability for the high pressure gas to escape. Only letters I could find was "Dalmine" stamped in the bottle near the top.
When full, someone would have to unscrew the top, open to atmosphere, screw it on to whatever appliance it was used on then pressurize it...

To make acetylene one needs to mix water with calcium carbonate.... Hmmmm it does have some sort of black substance in it....

I picked this thing up at a mine site that never really got off the ground.

The bottle:

the dump:
Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
personally. I would call the local gas cylinder shop and let them deal with it.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks like a CNG tank

http://cngmarketing.com/catalog3.html
Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That would be a Tenaris Dalmine cylinder. They are color coded to identify the gas or agent that they contain. That cylinder looks like it has black paint on it in places which indicates that it is or was filled with N2 (nitrogen) or maybe breathable air as per their data sheets. That tank should have several stamps (codes) located around the top that designate several identifiers. It may be pressurized at 300 bar and I do not recommend removing the threaded top.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Dizzle
That would be a Tenaris Dalmine cylinder. They are color coded to identify the gas or agent that they contain. That cylinder looks like it has black paint on it in places which indicates that it is or was filled with N2 (nitrogen) or maybe breathable air as per their data sheets. That tank should have several stamps (codes) located around the top that designate several identifiers. It may be pressurized at 300 bar and I do not recommend removing the threaded top.
Interesting....

How would the nitrogen or whatever been removed from the bottle? there is no valve...

I'll take the wire wheel to it a little later to see if I can find any other stamps. I have had the tops off both bottles I have (no pressure)

These have been sitting out for quite a number of years. I would place the site to being late 60's to early 70's just based on the other stuff found around there.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by westcoaster
Interesting....

How would the nitrogen or whatever been removed from the bottle? there is no valve...

I'll take the wire wheel to it a little later to see if I can find any other stamps. I have had the tops off both bottles I have (no pressure)

These have been sitting out for quite a number of years. I would place the site to being late 60's to early 70's just based on the other stuff found around there.
If empty, the threaded top would be used for lifting an maneuvering them onto pallets then strapped together for shipping the empty/ bled down cylinders. The valves may have been stainless or brass and re-purposed by the filler after the cylinders were empty. The fillers use fill port adapters that thread onto the valve in order to fill the cylinders. The stamps will be beneficial in providing additional information about the cylinders.

What do you plan to do with the cylinders?
Old 11-17-2012, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Dizzle
What do you plan to do with the cylinders?
Only plan I got is to figure out what they could have been used for. Then at some point they'll land in the scrap pile.

Every cylinder in that pile has the bung threaded back in. If they came under pressure they would have come with a valve and this steel threaded bung dangling off the side. After use someone would have removed the valve and threaded in the bung...
Old 11-17-2012, 02:00 AM

Smile

Only plan I got is to figure out what they could have been used for. Then at some point they'll land in the scrap pile.

Every cylinder in that pile has the bung threaded back in. If they came under pressure they would have come with a valve and this steel threaded bung dangling off the side. After use someone would have removed the valve and threaded in the bung...
Yep! I understand about the bung and just mentioned that in regards to the gas /agent filler company removing the valves and installing the bung, because fillers tend to make use of the the valves for other cylinders. Best of luck at the the scrap yard.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:14 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

both ends are threaded?

could be an accumulator.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:33 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Cool find...

I love stumbling across old sites in my outings in the Baker wilderness down here.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
both ends are threaded?

could be an accumulator.
Nope. This is a bung. A solid piece of steel that is threaded at the end that goes into the bottle. On the other end it tapers to a flat piece with a hole in the middle. (something you would put a wrench on to tighten) put a string on to keep from loosing. I look at the tab with a hole in the middle welded to the side of the head on the tank and can't help think those two are related...

edit:

Took the wire wheel to the bottle. No other stamps or markings either top or bottom other than the Dalmine
Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Shoot it from a distance with a high power riffle. If it explodes it was flammable if not it was most likely empty
Old 11-18-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Shoot it from a distance with a high power riffle. If it explodes it was flammable if not it was most likely empty
they are empty alright. I have had the bungs out of both bottles and can clearly see they are empty inside....
Old 11-18-2012, 12:53 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
They aren't empty. They have air in them if you are looking at them on earth....

Sorry.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:47 PM

Think I got it figured out....

They are mercury flasks. Judging by the quantity of flasks laying about there is a heck of a pile of mercury on that mountain...

Quick Reply: Mystery gas bottle (pressure)