Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

My buddy is going to school this week, for training on the New Ford Diesel engine.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My buddy is going to school this week, for training on the New Ford Diesel engine.

He is going to school this for the new Ford 6.4 liter V8 twin turbo diesel engine. Say's the engine is like the 6.0 motor, but with bigger heads, more head bolts, twin turbos and two egrs. I hope to have more details when he gets back from school. Rumors that the engine compartment will be bigger. I haven't seen the motor for myself, so we will see. I live in the 'Show Me' state! SHOW ME!!!

No flames please , just info.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
any power specs?
Old 01-24-2006, 11:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gee, twice as much to go wrong now.

MikeyB
Old 01-24-2006, 11:47 AM

Don't know power specs yet, hopefully when he gets back.

And I never said I would buy one...
Old 01-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
ANYTHING would be better than the 6.0.

We'll be waiting for his opinion.......but still driving my Cummins......
Old 01-24-2006, 12:14 PM

they have to fix that injector problem.. and i hope they do this with this setup. right now the injectors jam wide open which then causes the heads to crack.. you don't even wanna know how many toasted 6L's i see. maybe this is why there going with more head bolts.. i dunno.

what turbos does anyone know?
Old 01-24-2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by IntakeRacing
they have to fix that injector problem.. and i hope they do this with this setup. right now the injectors jam wide open which then causes the heads to crack.. you don't even wanna know how many toasted 6L's i see. maybe this is why there going with more head bolts.. i dunno.

what turbos does anyone know?
If there using more head bolts then whats going to go bang next ?
Old 01-24-2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 67HotRod
6.4 liter V8 twin turbo diesel engine.....
Well we know why they put two turbos on this time around, so at least one will always be working!

It will be interesting to see what the new ford can do in response to the chevy, and I am sitting here twitching for the 07 cummins if those rumors are true. But wouldnt dodge have unveiled the 07 design at Detroit..? Just curious. But hey, I was honestly thinking about a durasmack because of the large four doors on the older models, but hey, if I can wait till 07 for an AISIN and 6.7 liters I will be good. Lol. But, good luck to ford. They lost a lot of customers with the 6.0 powerjoke and maybe they can get them back with a new DEPENDABLE motor....
Old 01-24-2006, 03:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Either you are a guinne pig or a customer.

While I'm not a Ford fan, I can honestly say I hate to see Ford going through such a termoil right now. Laying off 30,000 people, closing 17 plants. OUCH.

Hopefully, they will be leaner, meaner, and continue to make a good truck....with a better diesel engine.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
What I find interesting is all the bleu oval loyalists touting "twins" as a good thing. Unfortunately ford is`nt doing for the same reasons CTD guys do it, it`s for emissions purposes, not performance purposes. In fact it`ll probably make a VERY complex engine setup all the more complex. For ford`s sake I hope they get it right this or it`s gonna be ugly (as if it has`nt been already).
Old 01-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChrisLib
What I find interesting is all the bleu oval loyalists touting "twins" as a good thing. Unfortunately ford is`nt doing for the same reasons CTD guys do it, it`s for emissions purposes, not performance purposes. In fact it`ll probably make a VERY complex engine setup all the more complex. For ford`s sake I hope they get it right this or it`s gonna be ugly (as if it has`nt been already).
Thats the same thing I heard. Personally, I think It'll be interesting to see what all 3 manufactures do in regards to emmisions over the next few years.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:34 PM

This is what these guys do to make $$$ make the old and or simple [ diesel ] more complaicated instead of moving on to new , or sticking with what works , Rudolf Diesel invented the Diesel and he invented it to run on vegible oil so that the farmer could make there own fuel , and now with emissons we find that most of what we'er trying to get rid of [ emissions-petro diesel ] would not be there with bio-diesel .
Both Rudolf and others , using bio were able to make an eng. that ran efficantly enough that it did not require a cooling system , water or air.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Does anyone know if the twins are going to be sequential (like CTD twins) or is it going to have one turbo per bank of cylinders?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CTD NUT
Does anyone know if the twins are going to be sequential (like CTD twins) or is it going to have one turbo per bank of cylinders?
If they did that there wouldn't be anything to gain (not that I know of, anyway)... Then again, is Ford known to only do logical things?

And I'm sure that twin turbo's would help greatly with emissions as well... That is, twin turbo's help make more power with the same emissions as a single turbo. I have no doubt that any twin turbo Diesel truck with a displacement of 6.4 liters will bury today's stock Cummins or Duramax. (When the truck is running, at least. )

The questions are "what will Chrysler respond with?" and "what will the power levels be?". I think that the 6.7 liter Cummins with an Aisin is a very possible rumour, but will any single turbo truck be able to compete with a twin turbo truck while still meeting emissions? I seriously doubt it. In my humble opinion, as soon as one automaker comes out with twins they will all be forced to in order to compete.

And does anybody else think that maybe the second turbo will be an option?

And on another note, imagine how well the twins are going to be tuned from the factory. I wouldn't want to be the engineer trying to tune twins into the optimal computer program, but with the resources of a multi-billion dollar company those twins are probably going to come off the showroom floor dialed in nice.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
sequential, look at the little powerstroke (4.5) in the new ford and international cabovers it has the twin turbo setup on it i would imagine it to be pretty dang close to the one that is going on the 6.4

Quick Reply: My buddy is going to school this week, for training on the New Ford Diesel engine.