Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Mobile Command Breakroom 10/15-10/28

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
TanStan
here's what ya need.
https://www.waytekwire.com/item/4627...igh-Amp-Fuse-/
https://www.waytekwire.com/item/4603...-Amp-AMG-Fuse/
Old 10-25-2017, 07:26 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Greetings from way down south where we nearly got blown away yesterday. After days of next to no wind, yesterday a cold, gusty wind arrived and blew all day. Nice day except for the wind. The family came for lunch and we still enjoyed it out on the open terrace as usual, even although it was a bit breezy at times.

Coffee and ph00 is made and ready to be wasted again. Wonder why so few people drop by the breakroom any more? Why don't the newbies stop by and say hi?

John, thanks for the info. Contacted the company and am waiting for info from them as it looks like they do not ship across the border. Out of curiosity, how did you arrive at a fuse of 300 amps? If I do the Ohms law calc, it looks like a fuse of 250 amps is sufficient. Is some sort of reserve or padding necessary for fuse sizing calculations? Any difference between the ANL type fuse that I am using now or the fuse that you recommended?

From October 31 to Nov 10 I will be incommunicado. My wife and I will be going on a tour of the Mexican state of Chiapas and we have been informed that there is no internet or cell signal for at least 5 of the days that we will be gone, so have decided not to bother taking my computer or my phone with me. Less to carry anyway. For a part of the trip we will be very close to Guatemala. In other words, we will be about as far south in Mexico as it is possible to go. Not too many non Mexican tourists travel this far south in Mexico. For those that know nothing about Chiapas, do a search and learn some interesting facts.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:56 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Good Morning Boys and Girls! Thanks for the coffee Stan I brought in a couple dozen donuts and some fresh baked banana bread in case anyone gets hungry.

Be careful on your trip Stan, we want you back in one piece

Bob I hope you are feeling better, you certainly are getting your share of hard times this year.

Scotty, a special message for you...ksuhndyrt qpcyt boytiz vix wpwvyu wianfroa zlhz!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:56 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
OK, looking up around here. Ph00.......................................
Nanner bread....................

Stan - - I don't know why you shot for a 3000w inverter - - I had a 2000 in my fiver and my 40'MH. It ran my microwave, compressor and the normal TV, 120v lights, Satellite equipment, etc. Both of my 2000w units required a 300a fuse - - but not just a normal fuse, rather a CATASTROPHE fuse. Looked and mounted completely different than a normal fuse in that it had it's own mounting pad and was quite large. The size of the wiring was very large and very short as per instructions. Don't skimp on that VERY important piece of safety equipment.

Nuther gorgeous down here today. Still trying to catch up with everything on this computer since getting home and all the "stuff" going on around here. My calendar is full for November and December so I better get a lot of "stuff" off my TO DO list before then.

REFILL...............................................
Old 10-25-2017, 01:15 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Bob, you just had to comment, didn't you! However, I totally agree that a 3,000 watt inverter is overkill. OK, just for you, here is the full story. I was originally considering a 2,000 watt square wave inverter and did all the research as to which was the best one to buy. When I finally decided on which one to buy and tried to buy it, no luck. Every place I tried was sold out of my first and second choices due to those last two hurricanes that hit the US. Could not wait for them to restock as I already had my trip planned for north of the border. OK, so back to square one and do more research. Decided this time to do it right and go the sine wave route even although those are quite a bit more expensive.

After much more research and reading many reviews I settled on the middle of the pack brand. The top rated sine wave inverter's were too expensive for my limited use and shallow pockets. Still was going to stay with a 2,000 watt, but then noticed that the 3,000 watt for this brand was on sale and not that much more expensive, so broke the bank and that is what I have now. Definitely will never run out of oomph. The 1/0 feed cable technically is a tad small for where I have this inverter located, but figured that as long as I do not use the full rating that I should be OK and not have too much of a voltage drop. Wanted to use a larger diameter cable, but could not locally buy flexible cable any larger. Anything larger in diameter would not be flexible and a super pain to run from the battery to the back of the truck. The 1/0 welding cable that I am using is nice and flexible.

There, now you have the rest of the story ….... Happy now?
Old 10-25-2017, 07:11 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Gggloloss gefty cksot ;;&)@/ —————
Old 10-25-2017, 07:50 PM
Admin Team Leader

I could not have said it better myself!

Though I admit I never thought I would hear you use such language
Old 10-25-2017, 07:54 PM

Oh no! The Klingon twins are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2017, 08:41 PM

When the smoke clears, we can get back to Stan's inverter.
I figured 3000 watts at 12v is 250A. At 80% efficiency, that's 312A. Theoretically the wire can safely handle 245A. It's carrying capacity to efficiently run the inverter is probably closer to 150A

So, if you want a degraded system, install a 225 or 250 amp fuse.

Personally, I would run a double run of 1/0 wire and a 300 amp fuse. I would think you could buy Buss fuses and holder in Mexico, or I could buy them for you if can tell me how to get them to you.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:48 PM

Methinks that thick stuff floating around the breakroom is a bit more than just smoke!

Thanks John for the info. Will mull over what you said and then decide what to do.

This is the fuse holder that is presently installed and these are the fuses that I can get. Will this work OK? Can also get the fuses in 250 amps. Is what you proposed any better? Why?
Attached Images   
Old 10-26-2017, 07:53 AM
Admin Team Leader

Good Morning Fresh Phoo and hot coffee are ready, Denny's is catering breakfast today come and spike your cholesterol!

Have a SAFE day!
Old 10-26-2017, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Good Morning Fresh Phoo and hot coffee are ready, Denny's is catering breakfast today come and spike your cholesterol!

Have a SAFE day!
My cholesterol needs no spikes - - no siree. Now Ph00 - - different story - - I will have that...........................................hmmmm, special good today. Thanks.

Off to try and figure out this stupid stock market and what is happening. Going to turn me prematurely grey headed. ................
Old 10-26-2017, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Methinks that thick stuff floating around the breakroom is a bit more than just smoke!

Thanks John for the info. Will mull over what you said and then decide what to do.

This is the fuse holder that is presently installed and these are the fuses that I can get. Will this work OK? Can also get the fuses in 250 amps. Is what you proposed any better? Why?
Just another type. It'll work fine.
With 1 1/0 cable, try 250A. Go to 300 if neccessary.
I do strongly recommend doubling your cable.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:17 AM

A fine good morning to all - - rise and shine - - - uhhhh, well, rise is probably sufficient. Fresh coffee and ph00 are a br00ing and sprinkles are on the counter.

Ph00............................................YEH...................
Old 10-27-2017, 08:28 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Greetings
all-turd the ohoo goo FORE! Olive ewe.
The breakfast has moving parts. Mix them together and the motion stops.
Delightful

Quick Reply: Mobile Command Breakroom 10/15-10/28