Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Looking for road trip advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 11:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Looking for road trip advice

Time has come, we need to branch out further than one state away. Usually we take the camper up about 3-6 hours away, camp for a few days, then head home. We've had a whole bunch of those trips go pretty much flawless, but I get a little homesick just thinking about heading out 1500 miles from home, or more. And even though I have the upmost faith in our 16 year old truck (it gets a good workout in the White Mountains a few times a year), I know Murphy's law all too well, and I don't want something stupid to hold us up in the middle of nowhere for a few days. I've got a pretty good assortment of tools and McGuyver stuff I bring with us that has worked well. Hose clamps/tubing, tie wire, wirenuts, spare belt, etc.

Sort of a broad subject, but you all have any pointers for such a trip from experience? It would be the wife, my son (2 1/2 years old right now) and I, and a westie. Would have to be broken up in segments because of the son, wife and dog. Or at least night driving.

I think a motorhome type would be best, but thats not in our budget. The trusty rusty Cummins and travel trailer will have to do.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Fresh oil change carry an extra fuel filter. And make sure the spares are in good shape
Old 07-26-2014, 08:51 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Good Sam Roadside Assistance

They'll tow you up to 100 miles to where you can get you rig fixed, or fix it yourself. They'll send whatever it takes to get the job done.

When it comes to changing tires on a busy road, I'll let the pros with the big well lit up wrecker do the job safely.

With a fifth wheel camper, people can be in the camper when under way.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:32 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what I was going to say Good Sam or AAA Premier.
Only reason I have AAA is because it was a gift many years ago.
$119 bucks a year for 200 miles towing (or 100 miles each for truck and trailer if needed), free fuel delivery, two free roadside tire changes per year and many other things that give you peace of mind.

Both Good Sam and AAA are great at responding and helping.
I finally used a tire change last year.
It was 98°F and I was on the side of I-80 right outside of Sacramento at rush hour. Getting out of the truck was scary.
They responded in less than 20 minutes.
I gave the guy a $20 dollar tip. It was worth it.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:40 PM

Google Earth is a great tool for being able to plan a route and hotel/fuel stops for you and the family, it allows you to have a birds eye view of the area so you can see if your truck and camper have room to park and/or manuver. Best to you.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bark
I gave the guy a $20 dollar tip. It was worth it.
You've never given ME a tip, yet you'll give some flunky with a monkey wrench 20 bucks! WELL!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Bark, you've given the Janitor all sorts of tips. He's never listened or utilized the value of those tips.
Like,
Don't eat yellow snow cuz it looks pretty.
Don't lick the monkey bars in the winter.
Take a long walk on a short Pier.
Good thing he could swim (maybe)

Gorms, take a couple of jugs of 50/50 coolant mix, spare belt, and make sure all tires are aired up the way you like them.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:52 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Just like most threads in this forum.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Besides spare parts and tools, I carry 2 spare tires. Up here, I boldly commute were the brave only visit.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:36 PM

If it was on routing, I could give you some pointers.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:13 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by j_martin
Just like most threads in this forum.

At least it made it five posts. That's not too bad
Old 07-27-2014, 10:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I already forgot what I was looking for anyway, go figure.

Riding in a 5th wheel sounds convienient, but not so smart at the same time. The spacious quad cab would probably have to do.

We usually bring a few gallons of water for coolant in case, I also already bring a few quarts of everything (gear, motor, brake, etc) also. Also keep various hoses and clamps, and all the tools I can carry. I once lost a trans line towing in New Hampshire, walked to a guys house/garage and he had some heater hose and clamps to get it going. Then I had a few gallons of 2 stroke oil that served great as trans fluid. Left it in there for a few thousand miles too.

I gotta look into which AAA we have, I don't think it's any thing special. We were thinking of heading to somewhere around South Dakota, will need to check for a route first.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 AM

I-90 will take you all the way there. Little detour in Cleveland, take I-271 to I-280 to the thruway, to get around Cleveland, it's only another 7-8 miles and a lot easier to follow. Use the express lanes.
Chicago? Good luck
Old 07-28-2014, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
it's only another 7-8 miles
As the cow flies.

Originally Posted by gorms
I gotta look into which AAA we have, I don't think it's any thing special.
Its pretty much the same nation wide although they charge more for certain areas (like Alaska).
I think in your area the plans start at around $60 bucks up to $119 bucks a year.
If you are going to be doing some serious traveling the $119 plan is a bargain considering the cost of just one 100 mile tow.

j-martin can probably tell you a little about Good Sam. I think it is just as good as AAA (maybe better--dunno).
Both of them also have a lot of perks and discounts for camping and stuff.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd take a couple of fuel filters, it only takes 1 bad tank to ruin your day. Portable DVD for the kiddo, fill camper 1/2 full of water (so mamma don't have to hit the woods), check tire pressures, flares, 5 gallons of diesel. Sometimes I'll chain my genny in the back of the truck so a WalMart overnight can be bearable.

Quick Reply: Looking for road trip advice