Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The "Leftovers" Break room ... Dec.17-23,2017

Old 12-21-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 2,375 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I like the Non I/Ced motors as there is less stuff in the engine bay, less potential spots for boost leaks and the big thing is not messing with having to fit an intercooler behind the grille.
I love the look of the '78 grille and don't want to modify it at all.
I will never tow much if anything with them, so there is no need for an intercooler in my eyes to keep the EGTs in check on a light rig like an RC.
The earlier non I/Ced motors come with larger factory injectors as well, which make them cheaper for me to work with if I want to tune them for more power.

As far as my lumber build today, I am just building a temporary stud wall with screws and blue foam board insulating a gauge door in for the season. It helps me cut down on heat loss in the shop.
I was waiting on a roll of 9 FT Typar that I had to special order to seal it off with. The lumber yard I deal in the summer for my carpentry work stopped carrying Typar and went to Tyvex, which I think is a less rugged and less quality product.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:39 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi gang - - - just came in time to fix some supper and relax a bit. I was on duty to let my wife do some running and shopping today, so had to keep the sis-in-law in line - - she gets naughty trying to do things she can't do, then she falls and plows into things and hurts herself. Sad.

Nice day down here with high of 76. Low humidity. Must be December in Florida.

You guys talking about working over your trucks is interesting. My workovers were all cars. Still trying to get my 73 Porsche 914 finished. Bought the car new and still have it. Have 911 running gear on it, flared rear fenders to handle wider tires and ready to drop a 911 six cylinder in it. That should make that little sucker fly. Been a fun car - - other than quite slow. Drives great other than low power. Soo, at about 5000 miles, I put a stroked crank, 3/4 racing cam, large jugs and pulled the injection and went to dual 2 barrel carbs. Boy that thing would fly. Well, it has 80,000 on it and ready for rebuild, sooooo, rather than rebuild the 4 cyl, found a nice 911 six low miles at a great price and will use that along with 911 clutch/flywheel and tranny. Trying to decide what color I will paint it. I lacquered it when new - - gorgeous deep wine with metal flake. It was a head turner. Sooo, what now????

Guess you all heard about the UN voting to tell the US we cannot put our embassy wherever we feel like putting it. Boy - - if it isn't the Dems, it is the UN. I love Trumps answer to them. Sick'um Tiger. The Dems are in panic mode right now. Just blatantly lying about everything to try and bring him down - - - instead, they look like idiots.

Grabbing a ph00 and go watch some TV and relax. Busy day. ...................

Bobby
Old 12-21-2017, 09:25 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
I remember my dads first truck ... 1979 dodge step side ... kinda bronze paint ... 4x4 ...3 on the tree and a slant six ... wood slays in the bed... and chains/S hooks that latched the tailgate... that was a cool truck! ... I want to say it was full time 4x4 ... it was a power wagon

I can't remember how the amber lights were on the grill... I want to say they were vertical inset of the headlights... I know what ya mean Oliver about not wanting to change that look on the grill

Hey bobby ... I wouldn't know a 914 from a 911 if I saw them side by side but that paint job does sound pretty!!
Old 12-21-2017, 10:41 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Well Bob you sure do have me confussled tossing all those numbers around. Next heart attack do I call 911 or 914? Heck who cares I ain't going there again
Old 12-22-2017, 06:59 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Good morning from you know where. Of course, still great weather down here and sounds much like Bob's wx.

Not going to make coffee. Sheesh, yesterday I made extremely expensive coffee and all I received were insults. You guys an't got no couth or taste! Why did the dragon give me the stink eye when I came in?

Learned a new word yesterday; CHEECHAKO. Anybody here like that? Or are you all sourdoughs?

Time (again) for the US to get out of the UN and the United Nothings to get out of the US. Sure hope that Trump immediately cuts 100% of funding for ALL countries that voted against the US. Time to get tough - VERY tough! It's past time to force the UN completely out of the US. How 'bout a 3 months deadline to get out?

Ciao
Old 12-22-2017, 07:38 AM

Morning Stan - - and others once they finally get out of bed. Had some fog in the mornings here - - sun is just now sticking its head and lighting things up. Got up at 6 to get out and finish fertilizing plants - - they are soaked - - so will wait until they dry up a bit.

Hey, no coffee - - OK, I have put on fresh Dunkin Donuts coffee and my wonderful ph00. Made some blueberry pancakes and more batter in the bowl in refer along with blueberry syrup. UUUUMMMM good.

Off to become useful until I can get outside. Have a gudurn.

..........................................Ph00...........Yah00
Old 12-22-2017, 07:43 AM

Cheap coffee, expensive coffee, it doesn't matter, it just doesn't jive with me anymore. My heart starts skipping beats. I stick with tea now.

SD
That would have been a full time 4x4 Power Wagon in '79. That is the same style grille that I have, large rectangular amber turn signals in the grille next to the headlights. My RC is the same brownish bronze paint as well.

Bobby, great car project. The first car I drove on the road was my my neighbor's 911. He was a singe dude that lived next door and realized I never saw my dad back then. He was nice enough to let me drive his bright red 911 on the road one Sat. after I had learned to drive my mom's stick shift Chevy Chevette in the school parking lot. Those 911 motors sound cool.

I am having a tea with the dragon. We are looking at getting 6 inches of snow here again. Looks like I can test out the plow rig again tonight.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:23 AM

Oliver ... put step sides on the RC and make it a dually!!!!!

Stan ... never heard your word before but maybe I'm still a greenhorn... or a tenderfoot ... although I'm not still wet behind the ears???

Bob ... I was wanting flapjacks and syrup this morning only thing missing is a little protein to balance out the carbs and sugar soooooooo... I pulled some pork sausage out of freezer ... good friend of mine killed two hogs this year ... not quite enough zing in the spices he mixed in but it's still goooooood . I'm sure you will smell it frying up in a bit ... I'll leave it on the counter
Old 12-22-2017, 09:02 AM

Sausage ready
Old 12-22-2017, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Bobby, great car project. The first car I drove on the road was my my neighbor's 911. He was a singe dude that lived next door and realized I never saw my dad back then. He was nice enough to let me drive his bright red 911 on the road one Sat. after I had learned to drive my mom's stick shift Chevy Chevette in the school parking lot. Those 911 motors sound cool.
I had a 911 and a Datsun 280Z at the same time as the 914. I would start up the 280 and it would say "Let's go for a ride." I would start up the 911 and it would rumble and shake and say "I dare ya to let the clutch out, ***** cat." My son and I have had (last count) 6 Porsches - - love them. Wife hates them - - it is a driver's car, not a passenger car and no way she would ever even sit in the drivers seat.

Originally Posted by Ol-dodge 1992
Bob ... I was wanting flapjacks and syrup this morning only thing missing is a little protein to balance out the carbs and sugar soooooooo... I pulled some pork sausage out of freezer ... good friend of mine killed two hogs this year ... not quite enough zing in the spices he mixed in but it's still goooooood . I'm sure you will smell it frying up in a bit ... I'll leave it on the counter
I love venison sausage, but even that is no good for me - - still takes a bit of pork sausage in it to make it hum - - - and that is no good for my ticker. Yep, I smell it. Ummm yummy - - - ummmm naughty. ............

My trip to town was a good one today. And I got back in time to get the wife back to her sis in time to release her helper on time. Excellent afternoon. Good day - - got all trees and plantings fertilized today - - only about 2 months late on that with everything going on here.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:13 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Bob, nice to hear that finally you had a good day.

That 914 you have, will it end up as a 914/6 with the 1991 cc twin cam engine or a 2341 cc engine. Or some sort of hybrid?

Another beeeuuutiful day down here. Spent most of the day on the terrace making a large round temporary extension for our dining room table. This table normally seats 6, but on Sunday there will be 9 seated around it with room to spare. Wife is now happy.

On Dec 25 a long time American retired friend of mine who lives about 15 minutes from me will turn 80. Every year he whines that he never ever had a proper birthday party due to it being overshadowed by the birth of that other guy. He is not a Christian. Believe it or not, but to add to his woes, his name is Noel!

Love sausage, spicy venison is even better. Fortunately I can eat anything, so if you do not mind Bob, can I have your share?
Old 12-22-2017, 09:39 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Hello, lots of conversation here for a change.
Oliver, is the rust bucket so deep in the permafrost that the rims have hooked it? Would think the tires would squirm out of it. Been there a time or two. The soil type here is called prairie muck. Usually wind up pouring about a pint of anti freeze around each tire, then a bottle jack, or a whiplash yank with the tractor. Use safety freeze, propylene glycol, as regular anti freeze tastes good to the dogs and cats, and will kill them.

Got my own bruhaha going. Brain freeze at the filling station Wednesday and I put 12 gallons of gasoline in the tank. Had it towed from the pump to home. Still trying to decide if I have to crawl under it in this cold weather and drain out the fuel, or if I can add some drain or 2 cycle oil along with topping it off with diesel and run it. First gen, all mechanical, direct injection. It should go with a minor loss of power. The guys over in the first gen section are starting to take bets on what I'll do and what happens when I do.

It's going sub-zero here for Christmas, and looks like it might stay there for awhile. Chopped down a dead oak tree and cut it up for firewood today. I figure it replaces about $200 in propane for heating the house.

Sent some of my home dried apples to the kids for Christmas. So far, none of them waited. They are crispy like tater chips, and sweet like candy. A variety called Redwell did the best, with a close second place by a summer pie apple almost too ripe when used called Iowa Beauty. I left a jar on the counter for you to try.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Bob, nice to hear that finally you had a good day.

That 914 you have, will it end up as a 914/6 with the 1991 cc twin cam engine or a 2341 cc engine. Or some sort of hybrid?
Evening, Stan. Yeh, good day. Spent time with wife. Closed deal on rental of commercial space to a Spanish speaking church. Very nice Mexican couple pastors. They are all excited to make some alterations and move their congregation in. I think they will make a nice fit in the building with other tenants.

My 914 was the basic 4 cylinder but I had bumped it to 1900 cc with a set of jugs plus it has a 3/4 race cam. Very quick for a 4. The replacement engine is a worked over 2400 cc 6 cylinder bumped to 2800. Otherwise it is stock. They also made a 916 back then that had a small 6 cylinder but I don't remember the cc's on that one. This engine should make it pretty quick. Just struggling to get time to finish the rascal up. Been two years to get it to where it is. Just a fun thing to spend some spare time on when I get some.

Heading to bed - - tired. Been a long day but good one.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:46 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Freezings, I mean Greetings.

Cold snap coming as mentioned.

Hunker down and be safe over the Holidays.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:00 PM

Jmartin,
Yes the old plow truck got stuck in pretty freshly graded muddy clay soil that was under a foot of snow.
It was close to the last light of the day, so I walked away and then we had a few -15/-20 F degree nights. The front tires is frozen right into the ground now around the front rims. The anti freeze idea is a good thinking out of the box idea.
Right now I fixed a leaking transmission cooler line on a '94 threw in some newer batteries and am using that to push snow with.

Last edited by oliver foster; 12-23-2017 at 05:00 PM. Reason: make it easier to read

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The "Leftovers" Break room ... Dec.17-23,2017