Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The "Leftovers" Break room ... Dec.17-23,2017

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 2,385 Likes on 1,575 Posts
I messed around with my plow truck this afternoon that is frozen into the ground in the 34F rain.
I deserve a cookie with my beer and a break. Thanks SD!
I am glad you finished up the venison and eggs this morning as they look like they would have gone to the dragon otherwise.

Even my massive old Michigan loader that was converted into a fork truck wouldn't lift or budge the front tires of my plow truck frozen into the mud. My neighbor who logs stopped while I was working on it and had a beer with me. He said he would stop my with his Timberjack when he was logging in the woods in a week or two and pop it out. He has chains on all 4 tires on the old skidder so that will either pop it out or rip the front tires off it.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:57 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Just running thru -- guess I beat everyone else so fresh coffee and ph00 are on. Brought no goodies - - sorry. Have to run and get the day going. Have to go pick up wifey and take her on errands. Hospice has volunteer in to cover for her.

..........................L8R

Have a great day.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Saw the blurr as bob ran past ... good coffee.

Getting somewhat colder here ... has been very mild for foothills of Canadian Rockies (at least our area) ... very little snow but supposed to get "plowable" accumulation on Thursday

Finally finished running the PEX hot water piping in my garage... now I need to rig up a pressure device on my pancake compressor and make sure the 2 connections are not leaking ... 1 connection on each line going out ... if they hold I'll be able to button up the insulation, vapour barrier, and install a few more 4ft light fixtures so I can actually see what I'm doing when I hook up the wiring for the trash pump in the sump pit under the stairs... once that's connected I can install the hot water heater, have the pros hook up the natural gas and water line... THEN I'll have precious HEAT in there!!!! Oh what fun to work on projects... my old rust and rattle dodge, little bit of wood work, little bit of welding...???!!!

Anyways parts will be for rear brakes today at NAPA... gotta get one final Christmas present for the wife and then prepare for the church service tonight

I would put some leftovers out on the counter but ... this place seems to be a ghost town lately and the goodies would just go to waste... dragon don't even like stale leftovers

SD
Old 12-20-2017, 08:48 AM

Morning all.
I'll just have a tea with the dragon and SD, coffee is too much for me.

Yeah where is Stan to tell us how nice and warm it is in his backyard and what fruit is in season?

I have a few hours to work outside on the plow truck as the temps are dropping by the hour as a cold front moves in. Sub Zero tonight.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:58 AM

Oliver ... I was wondering about your stuck truck ... when stuff is frozen in at the yard at work we can normally get it to pop loose by giving it a firm "nudge" with the big old fork truck

I know there is a bug difference between a steel plate and your truck ... and I don't know what kinda bumpers ya got on the thing ..."nudging" might not even be an option

Or

What about deflating the tires ... I mean like flat is flat tires and then inflating... maybe nudging the truck with your forklift when tires are flat

Anything to break the frozen in seal

Just thinking out loud
The following users liked this post:
oliver foster (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 09:24 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
Yeah where is Stan to tell us how nice and warm it is in his backyard and what fruit is in season?

You had to stir things up didn't you!!!??? OK, here it comes! This morning in Paradise at dawn it was a freezing 50F. As I write this at 09:30 local time the sun is up and it is still freezing, but the temperature has climbed to a more balmy 62. In another hour it should be around 70ish. In about an hour will be outside in my shorts fixing some lawn sprinkler problems. The sprinklers are on every night and the lawn is nice and green.

Just finished my usual bowl of fresh cut fruit and fresh squeezed orange juice. Also had a big glass of tasty coconut water fresh right out of the coconut. The fruit plate today had watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, soft coconut meat, guava, papaya, cactus fruit and I forget what else. Have proven over and over again that the body is a product of what goes into your mouth - but better don't get me started on that subject ...........

Now, aren't you sorry that you asked?

Time for another coffee and then head outside to work and get my daily dose of vitamin D.

Edit: it's gorgeous outside! It is now 10:25 and the temperature is 73F and still going up. No wind.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:32 AM

Stan, I do hope you realize I was looking forward to your weather report.
Judging from your "handle" under your name you enjoy a little stirring of the pot.
If it was not for you and Bob, this break room would be really dead.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:01 PM

Afternoon coffee is on .., snagged some summer sausage, moose-er-onie, couple kind a cheese and homemade pickles for you guys ... we are having some folks over after church and these are the left overs the wife said I could have

Mr foster... his did ya make out with the stuck plow truck?
Old 12-21-2017, 05:37 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Good morning from Paradise. Yesterday really did seem like Paradise as the weather was fantastic. The sun warmed the day to a very pleasant 75 degrees and as there was no wind, that made for an almost perfect day. A bit higher humidity than normal, but 55% was still OK.

Dropped by yesterday just long enough to enjoy the snacks that O-d left. Very tasty, thank you.

Today there are two pots of coffee. One is fresh Columbian coffee and the other is unfiltered kopi luwak coffee. You figure out which is which. Fresh ph00 in the 3rd pot. No munchies yet other than some Kettle brand salt and pepper potato chips.

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Stan, I do hope you realize I was looking forward to your weather report.
Judging from your "handle" under your name you enjoy a little stirring of the pot.
If it was not for you and Bob, this break room would be really dead.

Did not realize that you looked forward to my teasing some of you with my weather comments. I have had fun in the past with stirring the pot, poking at the DTR readers and seeing who takes the bait. Not so much fun lately as so few members join in the 'conversations' here. A few years ago this place was very lively every day, but the members who made this place the most fun appear to have vanished. The breakroom really needs more activity, especially with a membership of close to 100,000. C'mon guys and gals, make yourself known and join in the fun and sharing. The dragon is tame and those weird twins, Lary and Scotty, really are ***** cats, but don't tell them I told you that.

Your trivia for the day; Today is winter solstice (Yule) the shortest day of the year and the longest night. Stolen from the Old Farmers Almanac;

What is the Winter Solstice?

The word solstice comes from Latin sol “sun” and sistere “to stand still.” In the Northern Hemisphere, as summer advances to winter, the points on the horizon where the Sun rises and sets advance southward each day; the high point in the Sun’s daily path across the sky, which occurs at local noon, also moves southward each day.

At the winter solstice, the Sun’s path has reached its southernmost position. The next day, the path will advance northward. However, a few days before and after the winter solstice, the change is so slight that the Sun’s path seems to stay the same, or stand still. The Sun is directly overhead at “high-noon” on Winter Solstice at the latitude called the Tropic of Capricorn.

It's still o'dark:30, but am up and ready to carp diem.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:11 AM

Enee meanee mynee moe .... I don't have a clue which coffee is which ... I'll let the dragon decide

Colder outside this morning than the past week or so ... little dusting of snow...

I poured a cup of each coffee of the dragon ... sniff sniff ... he looks disgusted and has shuffled over to his corner ... little curls of smoke rolling out his nostrils

Think I'll run to Timmy's right quick for my coffe
Old 12-21-2017, 09:11 AM

I'll stick with my black tea, that I'll make myself.
It is safer for me and the dragon.
I left some banana bread on the counter. I figured if no-one shows up, it would keep till tomorrow.

The old '92 yard plow is so helplessly stuck in the frozen mud, I got my back up plow truck up and running last night after work. I think I will do more harm than good ripping the '92 out. The frame and sheetmetal is pretty tender on the '92.

The "new" '94 plow truck is much more luxurious, the windows, wipers, [one] headlight and gauges work! No more guessing if I have any fuel in the tank! It even starts with a key rather than hot wiring the injection pump and crossing the starter terminals.

The old yard plow has been degraded to lawn ornament until further notice. The cab on it is so rotten all the wiring shorted out last winter, the auto shifter barely works anymore and the steering shaft catches on the shock mount locking the steering wheel mid turn sometimes. It is destined to be a parts donor for the low mileage motor for one of my projects. It will probably donate it's soul next spring after it thaws out of the frozen mud. It had a good run of three winters of plowing for me.

It is nice and sunny out but only single digits. The lumber yard showed up with materials first thing this morning, so after coffee break I have some nail banging in the sun and snow to do.

I have to hurry up as it is the shortest amount of daylight for the year.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:30 AM

Oliver... your yard truck sounds about like my heap of a daily driver!!!

And the luxuries you describe in the 94 ... one can only dream of!!! Why I'll venture to guess it even has a functioning cup holder.. or two!!!!

Maybe I missed it but whatcha building?

Both of Stan's pots o' coffee are still untouched and cooking up to the point where one could float a horseshoe in them ... dragon has not ventured near either cup I poured for him ???

Mmmmmmmmm!!!..., nanner bread and Timmy's coffee... I'll be back in a bit if I can find some honey in the cupboard. Our bees didn't do real well this year but we got a little bit of dandelion honey...
Old 12-21-2017, 11:20 AM

SD,

I am sorry to hear about your DD then. as my yard plow is rough underneath it.

Funny, you meantion the cup holder on the '94.
I pulled it out yesterday to hold my beer as I worked on the swapping batteries, getting it running and installing the plow that was previously sitting on the flat bed...I suddenly realized what the void sticker on it meant when I pulled it out to find it broken. I will likely throw in a working cup holder out of my collection just to spiff it up.

The next complete ground up build on the line up is a 2wd '78 pop top Ramcharger that came from Texas with nothing under the hood for a motor when I bought it.
Perfect, I didn't want no stinkin' gas motor in it anyways. It does have great sheetmetal though.

I have a complete running 2wd '90 12v that got in a front end crash and tweaked some of the frame. I am thinking of stealing the motor out of [and 8 lug front end parts] as I like the idea of a NON intercooled motor in the RC. I will most likely keep the '92 motor as a spare for the current line up.

I have a few summer rigs that need standard upkeep stuff and some upgrades I want to do first, but might get a chance to start that '78 as it gets toward spring.
I will post the '78 build on the 1st gen section when it starts.

Warming up a little over lunch. It is a nice sunny, blue bird sky day, but the temps are still about 10-15F I would guess.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:12 PM

Sounds like ya got a lot in store... by building I meant with your lumber!!!

I read every page on your ramcharger build with the CTD conversion... really cool

My oldest boy (15) is looking for his first truck ... there was an 87 ramcharger that we coulda picked up for $750 ... needed a lot of work... rockers, rear fender wells, roof, had a 318 in it which I think are pretty much bulletproof ... but it would not start and the lower rear of the engine and tcase were covered in oil/dirt ... no idea what was leaking there anyways...

Sense I'm just learning to fix stuff and it would hafta be his budget for fixing it we didn't pull the trigger and of course we both ribb each other each time we think about it "Boy, we should of..."!!

I'll be watching for the new ramcharger build thread ... and my DD really ain't that bad. Kinda the old saying you don't know your poor until you meet a rich fella...!!!
Old 12-21-2017, 12:36 PM

Seems like I remember your 89 ramcharger being converted to a nonIC 12 valve diesel... what's the reasoning for both your ramcharger being nonIC ??

Quick Reply: The "Leftovers" Break room ... Dec.17-23,2017