Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The "What happend to last week?" Breakroom Dec 10-16, 2017

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 04:07 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The "What happend to last week?" Breakroom Dec 10-16, 2017

I realize that I haven't stopped in for quite a while now but to actually not have a breakroom for an entire week is unfathomable!

Who rode the floor buffer and altered all the PhoO all last week? Did the dragon get let out at all? I ain't cleaning up that mess......

I'll start the first pot of coffee for anyone who might be up early and lurking about.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:09 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Good morning from a very cool Paradise. Close to freezing here this morning at o'dark 30 and can't wait for the sun to rise and quickly bring us back to a decent warm temperature. It's so cold here this morning that I think that I may need a light jacket when I go outside in my usual shorts.

Marc, yuh dun gud. Welcome back. Thanks for the coffee. I will make the ph00 for ol' grumpy if he eventually gets here. You forgot how snarky he gets if there is no fresh, hot ph00 ready for him when he stumbles in.

Once upon a time this place used to have a janitor than came in every morning, cleaned up the place nicely and made the coffee and phoo, but he vanished. Wish that he would come come back and set things straight here. Scott, you listening? It was very necessary that one stayed on his good side thought, because he could tear a strip off you if you stepped out of line. Very knowledgeable and funny guy too.

A few years ago the breakroom used to be a lively and fun place, but something has happened and now almost nobody stops by. Lots of sneaky readers, but fewer and fewer contributors. Anybody have any idea what has caused this and how to make the breakroom fun again and with lots of visitors? With the large and varied amount of members here at DTR, this place should be rocking.

Lary, you going to treat for breakfast this morning?

Maybe ltr.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mexstan

Marc, yuh dun gud. Welcome back. Thanks for the coffee.
Thanks Stan. It may have been a while but I still remember how to brew a decent cup of .....

Now if Lary would show up with some breakfast........
Old 12-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sorry about the lack of food this Morning i was at Bob Evans having breakfast with our very own Madhat.....That boy sure has come a long in the last 11 years since I met him! Proud of you Mark! and happy to have you home safe and sound from Afghanistan

Lots of fresh fruit and several loaves of warm banana bread right out of the oven Dig in!
Old 12-10-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
The dragon's been with me helping on an engine R&R. Don't think he likes Sheboygan any more than I do. Especially when the wind shifts from the dairy farms.
Colder here than back home in Alaska. Snowing here, raining there.
The wife and cat have been moving stuff little by little to the new place. Roxie has been catifying the place to he liking. Feeding stations here and here, catbox there, nap shelves in the windows and by the heater.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:57 AM

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Good morning all.
Fresh banana bread and coffee on the table.
It was a nice weekend up here in VT.
I gotta run and get my daughter to school on some lightly snowy roads.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:32 AM

Mornin' All!

It's a balmy +30* here. Not too bad for the middle of December except the roads are lousy at these temps.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:42 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Good Morning Guys Thanks for the coffee and the banana bread is yummy!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:32 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Uhhhh - - - let's see - - place looks somewhat familiar - - thought I saw some shining LEGGS climbing into a truck. Yeh, I think I am in the breakroom. Open door - - - oh looky there - - the dragon is wagging it's tail and wants his neck scratched. Poor baby, nobody comes to see him any more.

Hmmm, fresh nanner bread and coffee all set up - - let's see who did that - - OLIVER - - - GOOD MAN. Oh wow, Marc was here too. Missed all kinds of fun. Grabbing a slice of nanner bread (love that nasty stuff) and just take a cup of nasty old coffee (too busy to brew Ph00) and get on my way. Still a bachelor, wife with her sister 24/7 taking care of her. Seeing some telltale signs like fidgety and restless. I am still having problems - - head in tomorrow morning for torso CT. Hope they can figure out what is going on with me.

See Stanimal was here yesterday complaining about the cold. Well, big guy, not been all that great here in the mornings either. 42 yesterday, 43 today, but all ready up in high 50's and heading for 64ish. Warm sun, orchids blooming and Christmas Cactus is all ready for Santa with red and white blooms. Very pretty.

Off to "try" and get something accomplished. GGRRRR
Old 12-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Hey everyone.

Thanks Lary.

It has been cold here too, Stan... I got snow at Lary's and just below freezing here... nope.

Hope everyone is well and gearing up for Christmas.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:55 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Mark, good to see you here again. Hope that everything is going well for you now that you are back in Trump's new America. Stick around for a while, OK? Now that you have shown up, hope that some of the other old timers show up too. Perhaps that will inspire some of the newcomers to join in the shenanigans in the breakroom.

Still unusually cold early mornings down here, but the forecast says that tonight is the last cold night for a while. That suits me. If this cold keeps up, may need to think about putting some heat in the house. Went out this morning and had the heater on and came back with the A/C on. Crazy! It's so cold here that when I went out this morning I even wore long pants.

Now that some of you are starting to talk about Christmas, will do my annual Grinch thing and destroy Christmas for you

Santa Claus: An Engineer's Perspective

There are approximately two billion children (persons under 18) in the world. However, since Santa does not visit children of Muslim, Hindu, Jewish or Buddhist religions, this reduces the workload for Christmas night to 15% of the total, or 378 million (according to the Population Reference Bureau). At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per house hold, that comes to 108 million homes, presuming that there is at least one good child in each.

Santa has about 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 967.7 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with a good child, Santa has around 1/1000th of a second to park the sleigh, hop out, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left for him, get back up the chimney, jump into the sleigh and get on to the next house.

Assuming that each of these 108 million stops is evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false, but will accept for the purpose of the calculations), we are now talking about 0.78 miles (1.3 km) per household; a total trip of 75.5 million miles (125.83 million km), not counting bathroom stops or breaks. This means Santa’s sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second (1083 km/s), 3000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man made vehicle, the Ulysses space probe, moves at poky 27.4 miles per second (45.7 km/s), and a conventional reindeer can run (at best) 15 miles per hour (25 km/h) - that is four thousands of a mile (4/1000) per second (6.9 m/s).

The payload of the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium size Lego set (two pounds, or 0.906 kg, that is), the sleigh is carrying over 500 thousand tons US (508,000 t metric), not counting Santa himself. On land, a conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds (136 kg). Even granting that the “flying” reindeer could pull ten times the normal amount, the job can’t be done with only eight or even nine of them - Santa would need 360,000 of them. This increases the payload, not counting the weight of the sleigh, another 54,000 tons (54,864 t metric), or roughly seven times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth (the ship, not the monarch).

600,000 tons (606,600 t metric) travelling at 650 miles per second (1083 km/s) creates enormous air resistance, and this would heat up the reindeer in the same fashion as a spacecraft re-entering the earth’s atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer would absorb 14.3 quintillion Joules of energy per second each. In short, they would burst in flames almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them and creating deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team would be vaporized within 4.26 thousands of a second (0.00426 s), or right about the time Santa reached the fifth house on his trip.

Not that it matters, however, since Santa, as a result of accelerating from dead stop to 650 miles per second (1083 km/s) in 0.001 seconds, would be subjected top acceleration forces of 17,500 g’s. A 250 pound (113 kg) Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of the sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force (195,470 kg force, or 1.9547 MN), instantly crushing his bones and organs and reducing him to a quivering blob of pink goo.

Therefore, if Santa did exist, he's dead now!

Old 12-12-2017, 05:42 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Greetings!
good to see the room rolling again.
Had to shut it down after the toxic spill during the renovations.

There are several delightful treats on the counter.

have a goodurn
Old 12-12-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,572 Posts
it is dumping snow up here today. I might need to get the plow truck running tonight if this continues.

Thanks for the engineers take on Santa the Stan. "Quivering blob of pink goo"...
Old 12-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks, Stan. Most of the old timers are so stinkin busy... myself included. That's a nice explanation.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:59 PM

Evenin' all! Still a nice and toasty 20* up here north of the Northpole. Haven't had to hardly plug in the truck all week.

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Santa Claus: An Engineer's Perspective

Therefore, if Santa did exist, he's dead now!

EbaneezerStan, Santa is magical, your calculations and logic mean nothing!

Quick Reply: The "What happend to last week?" Breakroom Dec 10-16, 2017