Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I'm sorry, but this just isn't right.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never been exposed to the type of county or regional systems that most of you have. I grew up in the city where Fire and Police are part of the taxed infrastructure. Just to be clear, I am in 100% agreement with all of you whom stated "accountability for self". Furthermore, 80% of the fires I have been dispatched to were in housing blocks with anywhere from 50-125 residents, all section 8 welfare, so I have a pretty reasonable appreciation for the people of this country that do accept their responsibilities. I have also developed a prejudice toward the people of entitlement, it is what it is, I see it every time I work. The one thing we NEVER do is worry about what, or whom the people are when the bell hits, we worry about getting them out and mitigating the fire accordingly. Then its a free for all back at the stations, I am sure you get the picture.

So please forgive my lack of understanding of how public safety is or is not managed in your neck of the woods.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
... So please forgive my lack of understanding of how public safety is or is not managed in your neck of the woods.
There's nothing to forgive Tim. I don't think there's any clear, cut and dried answer here. Nothing is ideal for everyone involved unfortunately.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:54 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And on a side-note, there have been plenty of times I've taken calls for car fires, etc., where the people on scene call back wondering what is taking so long. I happily axplain on the recorded line that the last millage attempt at a full time skeleton crew for that particular township was voted down. The volunteers are probably still securing their geer they need to respond with. But, if you're worried about the road damge, the car insurance should cover it.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That vfd is making a statement that the whole country should hear.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
So howz that change thing working out?
Old 10-10-2010, 11:13 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cougar
So howz that change thing working out?
What "change" are you referring to? Did anyone promise a change in this money first policy?

I heard a national news report on this story a couple of days ago. They reported that the neighbor offered the firefighters "several thousand" dollars to put the fire out and they refused because the city manager had ordered them not to. The city manager was asked and "refused comment".

The homeowner claims (who knows how valid that is) that he simply forgot to pay the bill of $75. He was away and someone staying with them was burning trash in a barrel and went in to take a shower. The fire got out of control.

This may be a good thing in that it will force a review of these kinds of policies. There is always someone who wants to not pay, but wants the service in an emergency. That kind of situation hurts everyone. You can't have the best fire protection, well trained people and the best equipment unless its a community tax based system. You can't have a list reviewed by someone, during a fire and life and death danger, before help is sent. This is the modern world, life matters, community matters, and we'd better start acting like it.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:23 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm... wonder how much money I could have in the bank if I cold have charged a fee for all the emergency responses I made to vehicle accidents, and emergency situations in neighboring counties, or on the interstate....in the course of over 20 some-odd years, I could have retired a much richer cop...
I recall responding to a call in a neighboring county, they were always understaffed because they wouldn't increase the Sheriff's budget... fortunately it did NOT go like this:

" Sorry sir, I understand your daughter is being raped, however would please first provide your credit card number, the expiration date and ID number off the back of the card?
As soon as we run this through the bank we'll respond..."

I realy dont care whether there is a political argument here or not...that could have all been hashed out later.
the heart of the matter is that emergency responders failed to respond.. its pathetic