Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

If I Were To Go Into Autoparts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I Were To Go Into Autoparts...

Over the last little while I have been pondering the idea of opening an autoparts store somewhere in the not so distant future and I need some first hand input. First of all I live in a town of about 1500 people not including the outside residents. This town is the center of three large cities or basically the center of 'The Big Three' and even with these three cities their isn't alot of specialized autoparts stores. If you need various parts you have to travel to a thousand different places to get what you want.

Eventually I'd also like to open a truck repair shop where I'd be set up to work on light, medium and heavy duty trucks, preferably diesel related vehicles. My uncle also has a transmission shop where he works on everything from small cars to light/medium duty trucks. From this I figure, if we could intertwine these three businesses we could make a killing, bringing in loads of individuals from all over. My uncle for instance is very good at what he does and already has a fairly good name for himself thus guarenteeing customers. I realize it's going to cost a good penny, getting your building, your suppliers and buying supplies to start off but cost is irrelevant at the moment. What I'm really stumped on are finding these various suppliers. When I go into local stores around here and ask for such and such, 9 chances out of 10 they can't get what you want because they've never heard of the manufacturer I'm looking for or they don't know squat about diesels. Therefore I'd like you all to give me some input on what manufacturers you prefer from everything like lights and cleaner to engine and drivetrain parts. Then I'll see what names seem to be most popular and consider them as a whole.

I do realize I can't start out too big, too quick, I moreorless have to work my way up but it's still food for thought.

The whole idea is fairly blurry as of yet but hopefully with some more thought it will all pan out.

On a side note, I was talking to my father and from his experience as a farmer and a trucker he told me about how most of the time you needed parts were times when nothing was opening like on weekends or holidays. You'd either be in the middle of doing a crop, have something break or be under the truck servicing it and find you need to replace this or that or take chances of being fined and held up by the DOT. With that said he suggested if I wanted to make a killing I could be on call on weekends and holidays and supply your customers with what they need, when they need it. I know this idea could prove to be pretty hectic but it will guarentee sales.

As I said there's still some figuring to be done but I think it could prove to work. If anyone has any input on the situation, throw your thoughts at me.

Mike
Old 04-18-2006, 10:02 AM

good luck. its VERY hard to have a non-chain autoparts store. chain-stores can do temporarily lower their prices to put you out of business and quickly raise them once u do. plus as piece of mind a consumer will buy at a chain in case they have a break down of a warrantied item in another town. in the town my dad grew up in, there was an privately owned autoparts store that had been opened some 30 years. well, abc, autozone, and oreilly moved in and they had no choice but to shut down. my manager at autozone experience this about 20 years ago, and figured "if ya cant beat 'em, join 'em"
Old 04-18-2006, 04:19 PM

I'm aware it's not an easy task but with a local NAPA going under that only leaves 2 fairly insignificant stores. To help financially I figured a couple business partners wouldn't be a bad idea to help split the costs.

Mike
Old 04-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by A-Poc
I'm aware it's not an easy task but with a local NAPA going under that only leaves 2 fairly insignificant stores. To help financially I figured a couple business partners wouldn't be a bad idea to help split the costs.

Mike
That local Napa going under should be a HUGE warning sign for you. And business partners is a definate mistake!... that usually leads to real problems unless all the partners are equally committed to the business and HONEST.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:51 PM

Top said it right, I would only consider going into a partnership with a very close family member, had an expensive experience with my own Construction company and a partner who would rather go golfing then finish a hardwood floor and when tax time came around, my wife realized that he wasn't even a landed immigrant (British jerk who had been in Canada since 1999, I had known him since 2000). On top of it you also have someone who will not have the same demanding standards as yourself. Being in your area of NB you might have found a niche market, make it part of your business plan and research the potential market it help in trying to secure financing (banks don't tend to lend much to new businesses until they have proven some financial success).

Do your research, lots of benefits being your own boss, but a hell of a lot of headaches also.

Bonne chance
Old 04-18-2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
That local Napa going under should be a HUGE warning sign for you. And business partners is a definate mistake!... that usually leads to real problems unless all the partners are equally committed to the business and HONEST.
Well... That was a very prosperous business at one time but the guy who owns it just decided he doesn't care anymore. No offense to women but he's got his daughters running it and they have NO knowledge of parts or vehicles for that matter. You try going there to get some oxygen or acetylene and the poor girls can barely lift the tanks. The father is so old and crippled looking that it's painful even watching him do that. The old guy wants $2 million for the business but no ones willing to buy that mess.

As for the partnership, my father has 6 brothers and at least half of them have autoparts experience or their own shop. A couple of them would gladly jump into a deal like this if the opportunity came up.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Now you went and mentioned the ULTIMATE sin when it comes to business....FAMILY...

Run while you are still able