Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How do you get rid of a woodpecker?

Old 03-10-2005, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you get rid of a woodpecker?

I have a liveoak in the front yard (about 5-6" in diameter) that a wood pecker has taken a liking to. He has poked several holes in it at different levels. I don't think it is completely ringed on any of the levels he has poked holes in. Apparently the city has issues with the discharge of a .30-06 or a 12 gauge within it's borders* . Also, wood peckers are apparently a protected species. So, how do you get rid of them?

~Rob

*no wood peckers were actually hurt in the making of this thread
Old 03-10-2005, 08:06 AM

I had a neighbor put up a fake owl and he never seen the pecker again,might try it. Goodluck,,Rick There is always the old pump up pellet gun which is quiet.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:26 AM

The woodpecker is getting bugs out of your tree get rid of the bugs get rid of the woodpecker, spray the tree our you will just get another woodpecker.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:37 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 6 year old boy is a crackshot with his red rider. Our "hood" is littered with tweety birds. I can ask him if his gun is for hire
Old 03-10-2005, 08:42 AM
Banned

Old 03-10-2005, 08:45 AM

Pellet rifle or a .22lr w/ subsonics. Neighbors won't hear a thing... -Steve
Old 03-10-2005, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by kandgo
I had a neighbor put up a fake owl and he never seen the pecker again,might try it.
That would be a HOOT.

Originally posted by John Halter
The woodpecker is getting bugs out of your tree get rid of the bugs get rid of the woodpecker, spray the tree our you will just get another woodpecker.
I have heard that before and it makes the most sense. That is probably what I will do.

Originally posted by Don M
My 6 year old boy is a crackshot with his red rider. Our "hood" is littered with tweety birds. I can ask him if his gun is for hire
If the above method doesn't work, I may take you up on your offer. Does he charge travel expenses?

~Rob
Old 03-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hmmm putting out a contract on a pecker huh? Whats the world coming too?

This is funny because several years back I had a woodpecker that was banging on the sheet metal flashing surrounding the base of my chimney This crazy bird would start in every morning right at day break and wake me up.

I had no idea what the metal flashing was doing to help him in his quest for life, but his life span had just officially gotten shorter. I tried sneaking out the back door and easing around the building with my 12 ga, but he was too wary and would fly off before I could get a bead on him.

Finally it had come time to put on the old tiger stripe BDU's and paint on my death face with camouflage paint. I slipped out the door and took up a position in the bushes with a clear lane of fire to the chimney area and waited for daybreak.

As the sun started to peek up over the edge of the mountain I made contact with the enemy. He was moving in from my right flank, flying from tree to tree heading for my chimney. I took him with one quick shot from my 870 12ga and forever ended my metal buzzing bandit from waking me up again.

I went over and prepared to give this warrior a fitting burial and noticed his beak was splayed outward in three different directions. I am guessing that he was somehow trying to fix this broken beak by shaping it on the metal. It was pretty obvious he could not feed himself in that shape so I guess I saved him the agony of starving to death.

I met my wife coming down the stairs getting her first cup of coffee as I was coming back in the house. I told her the "pecker" was dead and she looked at me in my old Army fatigues with camo face paint and said..."Oh did he die laughing when he saw the redneck wearing clothes 2 sizes too small hiding in the bushes at daybreak?"

So ended "The Ambush at woodpeckers ****"
Old 03-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Administrator

How many wood peckers were hurt in the making of that last thread?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
One was shot, the others suffered multiple minor injuries from falling off their tree branches laughing.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:08 AM

From what I read when I had a woodpecker hammering on my aluminum rain gutter every morning, hanging some plflective tape on a string nearby will scare them off.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Shovelhead
One was shot, the others suffered multiple minor injuries from falling off their tree branches laughing.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Banned

Try a blow gun! They work in town on squirrels. Just make sure he doesn't drop out of the tree and crawl over to your neighbors porch to die like the little tree rat I shot.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:40 AM

I don't think I would want to be discharging a .22 in town!

pellet gun maybe............ .22 definitely no.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:55 PM

Tree Rat...been a while since I heard that one

HOw to get rid of a Woodpecker...Cut down the tree

Sorry Rob, Somebody had to do it, might as well be someone unimportant
Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you get rid of a woodpecker?