Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

horsey questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question horsey questions

ok, i know a few of you guys and gals on here have horses, i need some info.

i am thinking of getting a horse, the one i am thinking about is 4 months old. if we get it we will be boarding it.

the lady i am getting the horse from said it needs supplements for calcium for a year at $57/bag, and it lasts about a week. is this the only thing available? is there anything else the little girl requires? i know about the ferrier and stuff, just wondering if there will be any more suprises or anything else we should be thinking of.

its a pretty horse, triple registered, quarter horse, foundation quarter horse and something else. very well mannered. thanks in advance
Old 08-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Banned

ha quarter horses are great just remember that they are 1/4 horse and at times the other 3/4's is mule stubborn
Old 08-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MAke sure to get his teeth done
Old 08-10-2005, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have never had this issue,

Being that it is a purebred QH, i have not known about the calcium supplements, i dont know of anything to give him, but as iker said, his teeth need to be floated, and he must be at least at 14 percent protein feed, his body is still growin for another two years or so and that will pick her up failry well, as long as she has clean feed, clean water, and that calcium supplement, i see no need for anything else, but at 57 a bag, that is kinda steep and im willing to bet that horse was a pretty penny if its triple registered, what bloodlines is she if i may ask?

U want a stubborn skittish horse? lol!! try an appaloosa, that one im headin off of in my gallery is 1/2 supposedly registered top of the line appaloosa in him with a run of the mill fuzzy that the stud so to say "used"

My apologies if it needs an edit (in advance)

Good horse nonetheless, just kinda skittish, not too trustin of strangers, and kinda stubborn and set in his ways, but at 13 years old, they tend to already get set in their ways..

Tx
Old 08-10-2005, 04:56 PM

Teeth are a must. You are probably going to want some MSM/chondrotin supplements to help with the sore muscles and joints that will occur during training. A DSMO linament is nice to have on hand. High quality hay (like a timothy/grass mix is nice) not to much pasture time as they tend to founder ( of course you boarder should know all this and be upfront with the info if they are not find a new boarder) keep the feet trimmed (depends on the riding and hoof condition shoes may not be neccessary) and always provide grain, beet pulp, or fresh fruits and veggies for treats. Also keep in mind horses are intelligent beings and they tend to get bored and when they do they become destructive. Look into some horse toys, road cones seem to capture interest (its either that or your sprinkler risers).
Old 08-10-2005, 04:57 PM

Try looking into Calf Manna? Try comparing the calcium in your recommended supplement with what is in the Calf Manna. A few folks I know have used that to supplement alfalfa for their fillies.

Never needed it myself, I just don't have the time to start 'em.

007, yer appy can't be as bad as an arab...
Old 08-10-2005, 05:11 PM

at what age do the teeth need to be done?

i was at the stable yesterday to meet with the vet, got suckered into helping with a hernia surgery, (after 30 min of chasing) and watched another get his teeth done.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Chapter President

I don't worry about their teeth until they start loosing grain when eating. Also, I use a little Horseshoers Secret in their feed to help toughen and build thicker walls in their hooves.
We got our Bay guilding when he was 6 mths old. We started him off with a lot of touching and rubbing him with krackly paper sacks and plastic bags to keep him from being skiddish. It works, nothing much bothers him....tractors, mowers, weedeaters, etc are totally ignored, and he has never bucked.
The only problem with being buddies with them is that they get to be a pest.... Follows like a dog, VERY nosey, you can't leave the truck door open or he'll be halfway in it, and you can't leave anything in the bed that might interest him.

Now the old paint stallion is a little different. He's gentle as a lamb and extremly easy to handle, but is standoffish and not real friendly. Back before he came up with an atheritic hoof, we would take him to ropens' and he wouldn't bother nobody. Unless you get them real close together, even mares in heat don't get him upset.
While I'm on the subject...anybody got any mares around here that need breeding? He's a 1988 Black Overo with a good blood line. His Grandpa was a National Champion and his Mama came out of the One Eyed Jack lineage. I've never had him tested, but he's 6 for 6 throwing color, so I'm sure he's homozygous. Not all were registered, but if you want to look him up on the APHA site, look for White Fever, #154,985. How about someone with a registered brood mare that would carry a colt for me?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by crobtex
We started him off with a lot of touching and rubbing him.....]

While I'm on the subject...anybody got any mares around here that need breeding?
Two lines that just shouldnt be in the same post... Im ashamed!
Old 08-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Chapter President

Your BAD !
Old 08-10-2005, 07:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by crobtex
I don't worry about their teeth until they start loosing grain when eating.

I agree a 4 month old horse does not need teeth floated. I would start know getting him use too a halter, and I would start laying a saddle blanket over his back to get him use to a saddle. I would make a habbit of trying too pick his feet up every day, star by laying your hand on his shoulder and slowly running it down his leg, after awhile he will about pick it up for you. Hind legs start top his rump etc. Starting now will be easier than latter. Just my $.02
Old 08-10-2005, 07:32 PM

Ask your Vet about her diet. He would know her condition and requirements. Get her on a regular worming and shot program as well.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
teeth need to start being done at 9months... Then every 6months untill 10 years....Then once a year after that....
Old 08-10-2005, 08:32 PM

thanks. my friends who i am getting her from have been great with her, she comes to us, puts the halter on with no trouble, gets led well. she lets us pick up her feet also. she's been worked with since birth. my friend even went there right when she was born and rubbed her down and imprinted her. i think she's a great horse, she has really good bloodlines also. great grandpa was dash for cash i believe, and has several other famous horses in her lineage.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:33 PM

Re: horsey questions

Originally posted by upersleder
i am thinking of getting a horse
Can you spell hay burner?

I like horses, (and enjoy riding them when I get the chance) don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't own one unless it made money. If you think a truck is a money pit, ........... Especially if it has to be boarded. That'll cost ya. I'd rather have EEP build me a sweet engine before buying a horse.

Quick Reply: horsey questions