Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Home made Chain Saw Mill

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Home made Chain Saw Mill

Ok, I know that several companies sell these, but with the engineering skills around here there has to be lots of improvements.

I'm planning on making a mount using 2x10 slider, connected to an extra 24 inch bar using 1/2" all thread. The saw is an old Poulan 306A that normally just collects shop dust. If it isn't up to it, my partner in crime has a couple newer and bigger saws available.

If you grind your own ripping chain, what angles do you use?

If it all comes together, should make for some fun work.

An Alaska Mill is cheap, but part of the fun is building it yourself.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:46 AM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newer and bigger saw to start. I won't get the stihl/husky rivalry going again. poulan cuts nice vertical, not sure it can supply enough fuel horizontally.....newer tech seems to work easier. just my 2c

rough rule of thumb for a mill is base plus framing totals bar length used. 2x10 slider with 4x4s or steel 2x2 framework. (half base plus squared frame=25inch) structural/operational support.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the calculations! I fear you are correct on the saw. I've been experimenting with it on a couple stumps. Horizontal running seems to starve it a bit. New Clunk filter and line helped, but I don't think this saw is going to work. Was nice to get it running though!
Old 11-02-2015, 07:14 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Where is the janitor? Seem to remember that he successfully made something like this a few years ago.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:36 AM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
he is busy. or busy lurking, who knows. but a very missed guy for sure.

He built a full on ten log lumber processing mill. 5.9 diesel power and a ram, gosh, out of a submarine.....no, big one 8-10 inch by ten feet or so....

T rad also has the mind for this, a good ol boy solution.

basically an Alaskan mill attaches to the felled tree by a slider or steel alloy bar/wood board. frame clamps in chainsaw and you push. not a couch potato effort either. my suggestion is to use that is not portable.

horizontal chain bar with frame work, man drive speed. hence the importance of the frame work. better frame/ less man drive impact.

Hudson mill most easy, reliable. about $2000-16000 plus.

if you want to build a system for yourself, figure 600 bucks with a chainsaw and a friend for a challenge and a few trees. leave the beer for a later date.
put it on youtube and I'll drink a beer and watch.....
Old 11-04-2015, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
he is busy. or busy lurking, who knows. but a very missed guy for sure.

He built a full on ten log lumber processing mill. 5.9 diesel power and a ram, gosh, out of a submarine.....no, big one 8-10 inch by ten feet or so....

T rad also has the mind for this, a good ol boy solution.

basically an Alaskan mill attaches to the felled tree by a slider or steel alloy bar/wood board. frame clamps in chainsaw and you push. not a couch potato effort either. my suggestion is to use that is not portable.

horizontal chain bar with frame work, man drive speed. hence the importance of the frame work. better frame/ less man drive impact.
Hudson mill most easy, reliable. about $2000-16000 plus.

if you want to build a system for yourself, figure 600 bucks with a chainsaw and a friend for a challenge and a few trees. leave the beer for a later date.
put it on youtube and I'll drink a beer and watch.....

My co-conspirator in this is having second thoughts. I still may tinker something together. I found an old buzz saw mill in the neighbor's woods. The shaft and blade are scrap, but the frame may be of use. Long winter to tinker, so it may turn out to be something. (or not). I'll add it to the list of "good ideas"!