Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   Here comes Wilma (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/here-comes-wilma-80849/)

yarddog 10-19-2005 11:30 AM

Here comes Wilma

Gonna be anther bad one. Maybe we should build some refineries in North Dakota.

http://sirocco.accuweather.com/sat_m...I/isaehatl.gif

Herrin811 10-19-2005 11:50 AM

did I hear correctly? this is the MOST INTENSE hurricane EVER recorded?

Tiny 10-19-2005 11:54 AM

Good Lord, this has been a terrible year for hurricanes down south. I like the refineries in the midwest idea, although tornado alley needs to be dealt with.

yarddog 10-19-2005 11:57 AM

That's right. They say this is the start of a bad cycle. Each cycle lasts 20-25 years :eek:

jthorpe 10-19-2005 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Herrin821
did I hear correctly? this is the MOST INTENSE hurricane EVER recorded?

That is what the NWS was saying on the 5am technical discussion. I think the winds are still at 175mph at this time. Just last night, it was only at 110mph. The thing intensified quickly.

FiverBob 10-19-2005 12:04 PM

[nonono] YEH, AND GUESS WHERE IT IS HEADING???? [nonono]

I am hooking up and heading back up to Alberta to the snow storms!!!!! I will never complain about that bad snow storm again, never. Well, not for a while anyway. Say one for us, gang. Looks like it may not be fun.

NoWhereToHideBob

NORM 10-19-2005 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by yarddog
Maybe we should build some refineries in North Dakota.

I live a half of a mile west of the one in Mandan, we've got room for more.

Scotty 10-19-2005 12:56 PM

Come on up Bob. I have some spheres to move.
Be safe down there.
I read on a site that the barometric pressure was the lowest ever recorded.
thats not a good sign.

Scotty

Lary Ellis (Top) 10-19-2005 01:17 PM

Hmm Scientist have been saying for 20 years that global warming would cause this stuff.. Reckon they might be right?

jthorpe 10-19-2005 01:45 PM

Well, I'm not usually one to believe in Global Warming, but the cycle this time sure did come on fast, and it IS the most intense cycle ever, so it would lead me to believe that it might play a role? I know, call me crazy, because usually I brush that stuff off, but you never know...

yarddog 10-19-2005 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Hmm Scientist have been saying for 20 years that global warming would cause this stuff.. Reckon they might be right?

I think GW plays a part but keep in mind these storms follow cycles. 20 years on, 20 years off. Actually, everything on the planet is cyclical. Ice ages, ocean currents, tectonic movement, weather, everything. It's all tied together.

I did a term paper on GW in college and found some interesting things. One of them was one major volcanic eruption emits more harmful gas than we can release in 100 yrs at our worst. Because of the research I did, I'm really not worried about human impact on the weather. I did find evidence that humans have a small ability to control the weather. There's some pretty compelling evidence out there.

BigBlue 10-19-2005 02:36 PM

What happened to Fred and Dino? [laugh]

Bosshawg600 10-19-2005 02:45 PM

I guess we can add "Here Comes Higher Gas Prices"

Dieseldude4x4 10-19-2005 04:06 PM

I was watching the news this morning before I left the motel here in Ct and they said the worst one on record with gusts up to 219 MPH. I can't even imagine that.

Geico266 10-19-2005 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)

There is no question there is global warming, there has been warming since time began. The problem comes when the PC group tries to make us believe man has something to do with it. Specifically, it is all America's fault for consuming 80% all of the oil.

About 1/2 a million years ago North America was covered in ice & snow. It was called the ice age. It warmed up and melted. (hence the grand cannon) So we are still warming? Yes, we are.

The PC thing is to try and make us all feel guilty about driving SUV's and diesel trucks and to get us to think we have any control over it. The facts are not one of the PC warming calculations factor in the sun as a variable. In fact, the sun is burning hotter than before. The sun is NOT an absolute constant. It is a variable to the warming equasion as are all factors.

The facts are;
1. If the sun just burps we are nothing but a flaming marshmellow flying through space.
2. We cannot get off this planet alive anyway so just enjoy the ride while you can.
3. Man has very, very little (NOTHING) to do with global warming.