Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Helping one another via this forum. Please EVERYBODY read this.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 04:37 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Helping one another via this forum. Please EVERYBODY read this.

Hear me out guys and gals while I vent for a minute - or two.<br>There are many forums out there with similar themes to this one. I chose to belong to this one and contribute to it because it is very well moderated, the language is kept clean, no personal insults are allowed (or necessary) and I am learning a lot. Other forums that I have looked at from time to time are not as well managed as this one. Some are downright obnoxious and anarchy reigns. The bad language used on some of these forums is so unnecessary and only publically serves to highlight the authors lack of the grasp of the English language.<br> This forum is changing (evolving?) to suit the times. The fact that other brand names are now included is good because we all can learn from others. Most of us joined because we have a common love of pickup trucks and diesels. Just because you drive a brand other than the one I drive should never be a reason to cause name calling or brand wars. A pickup truck is a pickup truck is a pickup truck. Yes, engine dependabilty and other things may vary a bit but the bottom line is that our trucks all are mechanically similar. Therefore we should be able to use the problems and misfortunes of others who post their problems to be a guide in solving similar problems that we may encounter. Don't attack me just because I believe differently to you.<br> Some of the readers may disagee with something that is posted. Good!!! Disagreement is great, as long as it leads to constructive help, constructive criticism or whatever. Occasionally some members may make a mistake and not be aware of it. Even I made a mistake once so presume that I could make another one. Let's not deride anybody who makes mistakes. As a responsible body we are should be more than willing to guide somebody, be it a mechanical mistake, a personal problem, or something else, but let's not take it personally. Consider that it may be possible that the postee is not even aware of the mistake. If you feel that it is necessary to point out the mistake then do so kindly and gently. Harsh words do absolutely nothing to resolve the problem and in most cases only serve to escalate the problem to a higher and totally uneccessary level. In my opinion a person that deliberately uses harsh words, flaming accusations, brand wars and sundry other possibly insulting words only publically shows their own inadequencies, illiteracy, inability and unwillingness to understand a fellow DTR'r. Nobody here is perfect, specially me.<br> We are obviously a very diverse bunch that hang around here. Isn't that part of what makes this site so great? Many are very gifted and experienced mechanically and to those we salute you as you guide as to a solution on our poor sick trucks. Other have given guidance to those crying out with personal problems. Not a truck topic for sure, but as part of a 'family' why not extend a helping hand where we can? You may be next one that needs help. Others can't spell worth a darn and their grammer is almost non existant. So should we look down on them? Not at all!!! Hopefully the ones that are better educated can set a good example for the less fortunate to learn from.<br> I have noticed that there is also a great deal of teasing on this site. Love it, but there is a very fine line between teasing and personal insults. As this forum has mostly male members it is normal to make fun of one anothers faults, physical abnormalities, mistakes etc. As long as it is intended in fun and received as such, that's great. It is the one's that get bent out of shape and then publically try and make a fool out of somebody that spoil it for others. If you don't like what somebody said then consider that you may have misunderstood them. PM them and privately try and sort it out. Heck, I know my brand of humor is often misunderstood. So instead of going off in a huff, deal with it as a man. PM me, state your case, let's sort it out and hopefully become friends.<br> Could go on but hopefully have made my point. This is a great site. If it is necessary for a moderator to lock down a site, perhaps it is your fault. If you point a finger at someone, remember that there are three fingers pointing back at you!! Let's all learn from one another, have fun and be there for somebody less fortunate than ourselves. OK?
Old 07-27-2003, 05:05 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re:Helping one another via this forum. Please EVERYBODY read this.

I echo every sentiment you make here Stan, Often I have had to remove a post because it was made in anger and contained words inappropriate for the site.<br><br> I have often explained to these individuals that when they make such a post we all lose. We don't get the benefit of hearing what this individual was trying to say, and he doesn't get to make his point, simply because it isn't done in a friendly manner.<br><br> Leave the personal attacks, and bad language out of the posts and you can make your point all day long
Old 07-27-2003, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHEW!!! Glad I read this on a Sunday otherwise I woulda thought it was April 1... <br>Nice sermon. I am here to share information on Dodge diesel trucks. Nothing more. Whatever I own I go to that forum. When I sell that vehicle I drop the forum or website also. Somebody helps me I thank them. More than happy to help others out if I can. Somebody PO's me I'll let them know. As far as grammar and spelling I think we should be courteous enough to make an effort to communicate properly. FWIW
Old 07-27-2003, 06:53 PM
DPG

Stan: <br><br>What you said was very elequently expressed. I agree. I wasn't necessarily in favor of the &quot;extended&quot; site concept and even expressed my skepticism in a kind manner. I have since changed my mind, do in part to your &quot;sermon.&quot; Thanks for posting it!<br><br>DeWain
Old 07-27-2003, 06:59 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

DPG, you are very welcome. Never realized that I was posting a 'sermon&quot; but if that is what it takes to help this site become even greater, so be it.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:38 PM
DPG

Mexstan:<br><br>I put &quot;sermon&quot; in quotes, because I was quoting another poster on this thread..However, I hear a sermon most every Sunday, and most of them I need to hear and they do me some good. So, I think that sermons are good things!<br><br>DeWain
Old 07-27-2003, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very well said by all. I only hope we can continue to learn from one another, and have a little fun in the process. <br>Keep up the good work and remember that we should all try to conduct ourselves like gentlemen.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The offering plates will be held by the ushers at the doors on your way out. Next Sunday, Stan's sermon will be on . . . . ? Psssst, Stan, whisper in my ear, can't remember what you said.

Good preaching, there boy. You reflect my feelings about why I hang around this site - - in spite of Hoss. We don't need a bunch of lousy language to state a point. My wife reads the posts here once in a while - - I sure don't need her seeing a bunch of guys spouting garbage. She gets a kick out of our teasing one another. I have that same lousy feeling on a couple other sites. Two things seem to start the bashing - - what kind of truck is best and what kind of brake controller is best. The interesting part is the guy that is the most adamant about his position of which is best is the guy that has never owned or tried the product he is bashing.

So, next Sunday, people, same time, same station - - and bring your wallets - - we need a new coat of paint on the sanctuary.

DeaconBob
Old 07-27-2003, 08:02 PM

Cash only please. Nothing smaller than a 20. 50's and 100's prefered. Post a topic for next Sunday and I will see what I can do. : <br>Are you sure you want me to whisper in your ear or just pssssst in it? (your words) ;D ;D
Old 07-27-2003, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very well put Stan.<br><br>I'd also like to add that in a medium such as this, one must be careful as to what we type.<br><br>Think about what you type.<br>If there's anyway it can be misunderstood... it probably will be.<br>At times, its those misunderstandings that lead to arguments.<br><br>Rich
Old 07-27-2003, 08:22 PM

Exactly, Hence my play or words with Fiver Bob. Just could not resist the tempation. ;D
Old 07-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I rarely taunt anyone on here except Rod and Gonzo and Stake and Tony and Heber and fiverBOb and hmmmm....well less then 10% of the folks registered anyway.<br>Sheep or no sheep, penguins or no penguins, I like the folks on this site.<br><br>Its rare to get a good group...I had the opportunity to meet some of the fine DTR folks in Claremont and even though we all came from different paths...it was truly a pleasure to hook up with everyone in person.<br><br>Now I do have a few beefs!<br><br>No Yugo section and no George Foreman Grill study and/or forum. :'(<br><br>Did I mention the new truck is gonna be BLACK?<br><br>Well put Stan, ya ole Canuck. ;D
Old 07-27-2003, 08:58 PM

Scotty, Canuck I can accept. But &quot;ole&quot;???? Go easy there my son.<br>By the way, what color (colour in your case) is your new truck going to be?
Old 07-27-2003, 08:59 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow....it gets interesting around here on Sundays. Guess I missed something... ???

Quick Reply: Helping one another via this forum. Please EVERYBODY read this.