Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   Gun cleaner and oil (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/gun-cleaner-oil-325539/)

NJTman 07-05-2016 10:47 AM

Gun cleaner and oil

Hey guys
New to gun practicing shooting, and I have a few questions for you.

Read many different opposite opinions on cleaners and protestants.

Wd40 is. Kerosene crapola
Silicone spray creates varnish on inside of chambers
Dextron is good for protecting but toxic to hand exposure over time
Mineral spirits clean bores well
3 n 1 oil good lube but messy
Personal lube used by some. Really ????
Best lube s food grade spray grease at $200 a spray can

So, being a novice, I could do with a bit of experienced words

Thanks.

Currently using a gun cleaning kit for my .38 special, but will need to refill or replace as I'm running out of cleaners, pads, gun grease

Thanks

T.

sherod 07-05-2016 12:42 PM

CLP has always been my goto lube and cleaner. If not available, 3 in 1 with a few extra rags.

NJTman 07-05-2016 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by sherod (Post 3307364)
CLP has always been my goto lube and cleaner. If not available, 3 in 1 with a few extra rags.

This stuff ?

Break-FreeŽ Gun Cleaners : Cabela's

We don't have a cabela's around here, but I'm sure it's available elsewhere

sherod 07-05-2016 05:24 PM

Very close. CLP is the military lube. It stands for Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant. Does a really good job unless you get in the super cold areas.

Break Free would be my second choice, but a generous wiping will be in order.

cougar 07-07-2016 11:37 AM

Over the decades I've used a number of different cleaners and lubricants. I settled on Shooters Choice for a cleaner. I use a heavy coat of Tri-Flow for a protectent. After use, I always treated a gun as though it where going into long term storage. Total disassembly, clean thoroughly, apply a heavy layer of protectent, reassemble, put in individual sealed storage case. I still have the first gun my dad gave me as a teen and it still looks good.

SIXSLUG 07-07-2016 07:51 PM

I use triflow on most stuff. Sounds like you are shooting a revolver. Don't spray too much into and around the trigger/hammer area and thru the pawl/hand area on the breechface. A little goes a long way...

Just my experience..

cougar 07-08-2016 03:02 PM

I always remove the excess before I go shoot it. AKA clean before shoot. It is sometimes months or even years before I may be in the mood for a particular toy.

SIXSLUG 07-17-2016 09:31 PM

Also, don't get caught up in all the snake oil hype.

The tried and true are Outers, Shooters Choice etc. My LEO buddy told me the Iraqi vets on the squad used Mobil 1on all their autos(M16s and Beretta's, Barrets,etc) cuz it was readily available over there and proved excellent to keep their stuff running.

My Glocks seem to like it and a quart was 6 bucks...

NJTman 07-18-2016 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG (Post 3308142)
Also, don't get caught up in all the snake oil hype.

The tried and true are Outers, Shooters Choice etc. My LEO buddy told me the Iraqi vets on the squad used Mobil 1on all their autos(M16s and Beretta's, Barrets,etc) cuz it was readily available over there and proved excellent to keep their stuff running.

My Glocks seem to like it and a quart was 6 bucks...

Do you get better mileage with the 5w30 vs the 15w40 ?

Lol[laugh]

Thanks again for your help

SIXSLUG 07-20-2016 10:41 PM

I haven't calced it! Unfortunately I do more totin than shooting anymore...anytime I over season the piece it tends to pick up a ton of lint. I think I have enough to knit a sock on the ole 23!!

I really need to get out an burn a few thru it!!

ofelas 07-26-2016 11:57 AM

I've been happy with Birdsong's coatings these past 20 years.

With this coating, the firearms really don't care what lube is used, or if any is used at all in severe cold/sand/sweat conditions. I do leave a light film of Tetra grease on bolt rails and locking lugs though.

saggonwaggon91 08-21-2016 08:11 AM

I use a Teflon spray that I use when I rebuild transmissions. Seems to work great, drys, dry, never had a lack of lube failure with my 1911..