Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   GPS System (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/gps-system-96807/)

Ramirezh 03-22-2006 08:34 PM

GPS System

Hi guys,
I just installed the BD RAD device on my truck, and as advertised, I no longer have a speed governor and my speedometer no longer registers speed over 90 MPH. Everything is just great....except I can no longer tell how fast I'm going if I'm traveling over 90mph....not that I travel that quickly..... very often.....officer [whistle]

SO, with the above in mind I am now in the market for a GPS unit so I can monitor my speed. The one I WANT is the Alpine Blackbird...but it is waaay too pricey when you include the docking station (~$1000)....I'm not ready to spend that kind of money (would prefer a SPS 66 for that type of investment).

I wanted to get some feedback on what some of you guys are using and your likes and dislikes.

Thanks!

VADSLRAM 03-23-2006 08:30 AM

Depending on what other hardware you have.
I have a GPS card for my IPAQ that works great. Cost $65
and since I'm old and my eyes don't work like they usta I use the same card in a laptop and use a freeware program to just display direction and speed. Good part about the comp is I also use Delorme maps to figure out where I am and where I'm going. You can get topographic maps for offroading/hunting that plug right in.
I took a highway trip and used measured miles to figure speed and compare....RIGHT ON, no diff that I could figure out.

RustyJC 03-23-2006 08:32 AM

I use the Garmin StreetPilot 2620. It has the maps for North America loaded and is truly "plug and play". I like it as much, maybe more, than the Alpine-manufactured DVD-based OEM nav system in my Acura 3.2TL-S since the Garmin mapping software has much more detail.

The 2620 has been superceded by the 2720 and 2730 - I'd suggest checking them out and, if you decide to go this route, purchasing based on the features you need. A Google search of the net will generally turn up the best pricing.

Rusty

lglamb 04-03-2006 04:52 PM

Purely FWIW, Garmin makes one in a PDA device.

called an iQue. I got one last week, haven't really used it
but so far so good. Have a few locations entered for a
daytrip this week. Seems pretty functional, but no
experience with anything else.

About $244 on buy.com . I loaded in about 14Meg on the
device itself from the included Cities Mapsource CD.
Has slot for Secure Digital cards for bigger memory use.
I figure to set one SD card up for GPS, another for PDA apps.

Lowell

Ramirezh 04-05-2006 12:09 PM

wow...244 for the unit? That is a really good deal. I ended up going with the TomTom software and bluetooth receiver, 200 bucks from ebay. BUT I already had a PocketPC I could use. That's a nice deal for that iQue.

George&cheryl 04-05-2006 12:22 PM

I had the garmin 2620 then when the 2720 came out I bought that one for the live traffic update, it will route you around traffic accidents and the screen is 3D too, I like it.