Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Good Morning DTR! Breakroom 5/18-5/24

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:25 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Good Morning DTR! Breakroom 5/18-5/24

Good Morning People! Coffee is on, fresh phoo for Bob and fruit and oatmeal on the counter...have a SAFE day!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:28 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow, I was heading for the kitchen to make oatmeal - - thought I would check this joint out first - - lookeeee heeerrrrre. Good man - - and ph00 t00. Yeh. ....................................

Off to church, then party time - - sis-in-law birthday today. Big party here.

Bob
Old 05-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Enjoy the week!
Mother in-laws birthday today.
Gotta swing my LEGGS!

Old 05-18-2014, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is what my last 2 weeks has been like
Without the rivers, cities, smell, and trees.
Getting tired of buying grease guns. 3 now in the last 2 years. I just take my pistol-grip gun along with me to grease the steiger's driveshaft and managed to lose it yesterday. Pulled in beside the truck, greased the drivelines, went and planted, came back to the truck, and nooo greasegun. Next one's getting painted orange. If I keep it up, I'll be able to get a bigger tax refund next year just on grease gun expenditures!

Got a little video of a hawk, finally. Only taken 4 years. He kept sitting on fence posts at the end of the field, usually where I had a monitor blocking me from seeing him til I didn't have time to get my camera out. Was within 30 feet of him twice while turning around. Also about ran into the planter once while coming in for a snake. That's why they follow me around, kicking up critters for them to catch.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:30 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And we're back. Morning yall.

Skipped down to Marathon & Key West this weekend. Gorged on good eats that I've given up for this getting in shape the past three months. It was awesome. Got some sun on the beach too, of course.

Good trip. Terrible drive though
Old 05-18-2014, 10:59 AM

I HATE GREASE GUNS!!!!!!! Is there such a thing as a hand operated grease gun that will clip firmly on to a grease nipple and not squirt grease everywhere? Just finished greasing my truck and it is a royal PIA to get grease to go into all the nipples without a mess. The truck came from the factory with 2 grease nipples, but now has 16 or 17. I have changed the part on the gun that supposedly clips over the grease nipple, but there is no change in the mess. Driving up to Laredo the week after next, so will look around there to see if I can find something a bit more professional. Any suggestions?
I have good luck with the $15 wally-mart pistol-grip grease guns. They come with a hose with a 4-jaw coupler and a pipe with a 4-jaw coupler. Now if I could quit losing them or smashing them.......
Brand new 12 row JD no-til planter. The grease zerks on the wing wheels are pointing straight ahead into the oncoming corn stalks. They filled with trash on day 3. Got them cleaned out, but with the paint worn off, they wouldn't seal to the coupler. a pair of 90-degree zerks from NAPA took care of both problems. I should send you one of the spare couplers I have for you to try out. My luck I'd send them to you and they'd run a metric thread on your grease hose down there though.
Good trip. Terrible drive though
That's how I feel after going just about anywhere anymore. Hoping to get back east this summer, but yeah, still don't feel like driving that far ever again yet.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:03 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Morning everybody. Awesome day down here again. Lary, sorry about not getting any goodies ie, burritos, going last time I visited, but it was so early figured that they would be cold by the time anybody showed up. Or the dragon would clean the plate before anybody showed up. Maybe next time.

Getting ready to leave next Sunday and take a quick trip up to the border. Need to stay overnight in Nuevo Laredo and then a couple of nights in Laredo. Not going further north on this trip. Normally stay in Harlingen, but for this trip that is not practical.

Scott, thanks for the suggestion about the battery powered grease gun. Took a look at it on the 'net and it looks good, so will probably see if I can pick one up in Laredo. Now need to phone ahead and make sure the dealer has one in stock and waiting for me. The last thing I want is to get there and be told that they just sold their last one yesterday and are waiting for new stock.

Yesterday on a short one hour trip the truck did something new and very annoying. Every time I hit a bump (was on a bad dirt road) the lamp out light would come on and the stupid chime woulg go ding, ding, ding for ages before stopping. Traced it to a front turn signal bulb. Figured that the filament was making intermittent contact and the bumps would cause it to jiggle and alert the computer. Have numerous bulbs in my workshop, but not that particular one. Murphies law? Hard to reach that bulb on my truck.

Another 2.5 hours and it is lunch time. Going out with friends as usual for a lovely Mexican lunch. Cheap, very filling and very tasty. Plus it is great to sit outside under the shade of the palm trees while having lunch. This beats by far, sitting inside.

NE frmhnd, thanks for the offer of the grease gun part. My present gun was bought north of the second border many years ago and is NOT metric. Will see what I can find next week. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:20 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Haven't lost a grease gun yet (knock on wood). Still on the mend. Took a walk to the end of the block and back. Had to take a nap afterward. Hoping to get another day of R&R, but they need me back in the shop monday.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:37 PM

Stan, found a locking/unlocking coupler on another board. It's the "locknlube". Add a ".com" to it. It's made in South Africa, and $30, but they claim it'll work at any angle possible and not pop off the zerk.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Happy Sunday all y'all, what a weekend. The garden work didn't exactly go the way I planned yesterday. The ground is so soft that the tractor was sinking into the the trench for the septic line. That resulted in a lot of work for me. Once I was done with the tractor and the cultivator, I had to do the the roto-tilling using the walk-behind tiller instead of the big one behind the tractor. That means my day went from fun playing on my tractor to miserable hard work.
Today was diswasher repair day. You can tell how that went, there is a hole in my cabinets where a dishwasher should be and there are parts of a dishwasher in the yard. There are some weekends you should just stay in bed.

Glad to see you back Stan, thanks for the breakroom Lary. NE_Farm, see the picture below. Imagine if you had to do all of your work on my rig. It is an IH 350 Utility, gas not diesel.
Attached Thumbnails Good Morning DTR! Breakroom 5/18-5/24-image.jpg  
Old 05-19-2014, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Oatmeal... just what you need Lary; more fiber.

Been crazy busy here between teaching and trying to get projects finished up so I can concentrate on firewood. Today is 'yank out all the bushes' day! The main driveway at the house has juniper's planted every 40 feet or so. Now they're so old they're up to 8 feet tall and 10 feet in diameter. This is the last sunrise they're gonna see!

It is Monday, May 19th.

1643 - Delegates from four New England colonies met in Boston to form a confederation.

1796 - The first U.S. game law was approved. The measure called for penalties for hunting or destroying game within Indian territory.

1847 - The first English-style railroad coach was placed in service on the Fall River Line in Massachusetts.

1857 - The electric fire alarm system was patented by William F. Channing and Moses G. Farmer.

1858 - A pro-slavery band led by Charles Hameton executed unarmed Free State men near Marais des Cygnes on the Kansas-Missouri border.

1864 - The Union and Confederate armies launched their last attacks against each other at Spotsylvania in Virginia.

1911 - The first American criminal conviction that was based on fingerprint evidence occurred in New York City.

1921 - The U.S. Congress passed the Emergency Quota Act, which established national quotas for immigrants.

1943 - Winston Churchill told the U.S. Congress that his country was pledging their full support in the war against Japan.

1958 - Canada and the U.S. formally established the North American Air Defense Command.

1962 - Marilyn Monroe performed a sultry rendition of "Happy Birthday" for U.S. President John F. Kennedy. The event was a fund-raiser at New York's Madison Square Garden.

1964 - The U.S. State Department reported that diplomats had found about 40 microphones planted in the U.S. Embassy in Moscow.

1967 - U.S. planes bombed Hanoi for the first time.

1992 - The 27th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution went into effect. The amendment prohibits Congress from giving itself midterm pay raises.

2003 - Hundreds of Albert Einstein's scientific papers, personal letters and humanist essays were make available on the Internet. Einstein had given the papers to the Hebrew Universtiy of Jerusalem in his will.

Today's thought:
Be helpful. When you see a person without a smile, give him yours.

Coffee and ph00 are ready. NO fiber containing cereals shall be served here today. Give me a chance to clean the restrooms first!

Old 05-19-2014, 07:27 AM
REALLY old dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning fellow DTRotarions .

It`s spring so here is a thought >

Fishy fishy in the brook come get upon my hook

Old 05-19-2014, 08:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Last week it was 89 a couple of days then the carival shows up and it gets down into the 60s for highs.

Time to work on the stuff around the house latter
Old 05-19-2014, 09:03 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good morning DTR!
Got all my reno work completed over the weekend and I'm
Sore and tired, but THE BOSS is happy so it's all good

Got a text from the gal who was rehoming the Rottie , all it said was " I can't give you Karma, it's just not any good" then no response when I called her back. I'm disappointed but can't help to laugh at the phisophical implications of the whole thing

Ok today's word is a simple one!

VERBICIDE
VUR-buh-sahyd, noun
1. the willful distortion or depreciation of the original meaning of a word.
2. a person who willfully distorts the meaning of a word.

Scotty has committed VERBICIDE to many of last weeks words.

Have fun !!
Old 05-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
That's a complete and disgusting verbicide that that lady is handing you.
She needs a verbicidal reminder that your place is the best place for a Rottie!
Herbicide that verbicidal bimbo.

All verbs aside. That's a real downer for you. I hope you get to rescue a deserving dog asap.

Quick Reply: Good Morning DTR! Breakroom 5/18-5/24