Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Geothermal heat exchange

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geothermal heat exchange

My parents have a new manufactured home that they intend to move into soon. I got a quote for a Trane 3ton Geothermal exchange system installed for $14,000. This includes everything but digging the trench, which I can do. If you hire someone to dig the trench that runs about $4,000 more.

The 2 quotes we received for an air sourced heat pump came to $8,000-$10,000 for high efficiency ones.

Does this quote seem like a reasonable figure? Do you think Geothermal exchange systems are a good investment in the Pacific NW? Any recommendations for an installer?
Old 07-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Banned

excellent idea in my opnion, lot warmer in winter, the ground to pull heat from, and cooler than the air in the summer to give heat to. If you are digging it yoursefl, weigh the options out with an expert and if they agree, go deeper.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by mikmaze
excellent idea in my opnion, lot warmer in winter, the ground to pull heat from, and cooler than the air in the summer to give heat to. If you are digging it yoursefl, weigh the options out with an expert and if they agree, go deeper.
The loop will go 5ft deep. Deeper than that requires a permit and fences I believe due to OSHA regulations. I've read that geothermal systems are 300% efficient compared to the best gas furnaces, which are 95% efficient. I'd bet the extra cost of the system could be recovered in a decade, depending on utility rates.

Edit:
300%-600% efficiency for geothermal heat pumps
175%-250% efficiency for air-sourced heat pumps
95% efficiency for natural gas furnaces
Old 07-24-2007, 06:36 PM

8K to 10K for an air source heat pump?? Holy Cow!! I'm an HVAC contractor here in San Diego and the going rate is about HALF THAT!! I think I need to open a shop up there! IMO, if you get a lot of sub 35 degree weather go with the geothermal. If you have mild winters where the temps stay above 35, go with the standard HP. I take it there is no gas available? Can you set a LP tank? Both of these will be better than either HP.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:44 PM

How can something be 300% efficient? Not trying to start anything just curious.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:50 PM

Hey dad had a system sort of like the one you are talking about. He had 2 wells one for the house and one for the heat/air. since ground water stays the same temp basically it was real efficient. Also they hooked up to the outlet side of the water and that was thier sprinklers all summer. If they are going to stay for a long period of time to make up the diff in price go for it.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sidewinder
How can something be 300% efficient? Not trying to start anything just curious.
It depends on how how you measure efficiency. For the purposes of heating or cooling a space, efficiency is calculated by dividing the amount of energy spent to heat or cool, by the amount of actual heating or cooling achieved. With an average geothermal system, for every watt of energy spent running the pump, you receive 3 watts of heat. This efficiency is achieved because you are merely extracting the heat already in the earth and moving it indoors, rather than creating new heat by burning fuel or using electricity.

Why create heat when it's all around you?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:13 PM

A friend of mine in Colorado has a geothermal system and he loves it. The efficiency was better than expected.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The manufactured home has the ductwork installed already, doesn't it? If so, the prices you posted are a rip off unless you are really remote. Get more proposals, and get some from a population area where there's some competition. I hope your watt rate is low, otherwise propane might be cheaper heat even with a 3 energy ratio. On the other hand, if summer cooling is necessary, the GSHP with heat/cool capability might be more economical. Find out the heat and cooling load of the home, heating degree days and cooling degree days for the location, average ground temperature, propane price, and kilowatt price. Annual cost of operation can be calculated for each type of equipment. No, I won't do it, but you can find manuals at the library.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am looking at building in the next year, and I was quoted 26,000 this is for a 3000 sq ft house.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:19 AM

The ductwork is already installed, and the system would be closed loop horizontal. Maybe I can shop for the equipment myself and do some of the installation and leave the connections and inspection up to a pro?

Any suggestions on a good heat pump company or any to avoid?

As an aside, I'm really tempted to buy a small used excavator to dig the trench. I don't have much other use for it other than some tree/rock removal and trenching a new French drain. Then again, I'll bet I could find lots of things to use it for once I had one.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
I am looking at building in the next year, and I was quoted 26,000 this is for a 3000 sq ft house.
Could you please elaborate? What exactly are you getting for 26K? I think I might need to move.....
Old 07-25-2007, 12:34 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

He meant for the geothermal system to be added, I believe,
Old 07-25-2007, 01:51 PM

Be glad you're not from New England! I was quoted $48000 for a complete geothermal system! That was for all duct work, 3 ton unit, pumps, loops, etc. We ended up going with a high efficiency (92.5%) propane boiler, installed with piping, circulators, for about $12000.
Dan
Old 07-25-2007, 01:58 PM

I got a quote of around $24,000 for a complete geothermal system for a new 1,200 sq ft house including ductwork in the Minneapolis, MN area. the price for a gas furnace was about 1/3 the cost.

Prices over $20,000 seem to be the norm for geothermal around here.

Quick Reply: Geothermal heat exchange