Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Gasoline vapors in my house

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Gasoline vapors in my house

My home portable generator has been stored in my homes attached garage for almost 8 years. Each time it was used, just as with all of my small machines, I ran it dry to remove any gasoline from the fuel systems, except for This last time.

Back in October or November we has a bad storm forecasted here which they called for massive power outages and damage where I live. Preparing for the storm, I purchased 20 gallons of fuel, filled up both generators, and after the storm passed, I completely forgot about filling up . ... Until yesterday.

Wife has been complaining of a funky smell in the house, like gas, and I discovered that my 1 generator had been leaking onto the bare concrete floor soaking into its surface. Cleaned up the mess, but the residual fuel vapors are seeping into the house. The vapors aren't strong enough to cause fire, but they are doing a job on my sinuses. Had the house aired out all day, put a fan in the garage over the spill area to speed up evaporation, but at night, it builds up and stinks us out again. House smells like a automotive wrecking yard, with that old car in a junkyard smell, and I'm not having fun checking out old iron.

So, the interweb says, baking soda, vinegar, dish detergent, simple green, top job, etc. Not sure where to start, as my previous experience with spilled gas is time will make it go away. Fan is off, garage is closed, and the smell is slowly returning in the house. Not nearly as bad, but still present.

If you guys have any ideas how to speed up this, I would be highly appreciative.

The fuel stain is on the same interior wall as our den / bedroom above. Its dry but the fumes keep a coming.
Attached Thumbnails Gasoline vapors in my house-0219170900a-800x450.jpg   Gasoline vapors in my house-0219170900-800x450.jpg