Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   Frozen Solid New Year Break Room 12/31-1/6 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/frozen-solid-new-year-break-room-12-31-1-6-a-329534/)

j_martin 12-31-2017 07:26 AM

Frozen Solid New Year Break Room 12/31-1/6

So dang cold here this morning the weather report on my computer froze up before it painted the graphs. Put a little pan heater on the Honda last night, and put a running heat gun under it this morning about a half hour ago. Hope it goes when I twist her tail.

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3341213)
You could always slam on the brakes a few time to slosh the contents of the tank around and try and mix up your witches brew.
I don't want to sell a VE pump, so I am hoping it works out fine for you.

Oh Oh, now you kicked the backup plan bucket out from under me. I don't think a motor oil and #2 fuel jello will slosh at -24 degrees, so I'll have to wait for the experiment. The whole first gen board is waiting for the mayhem report.

Coffee's on, Didn't put the ph00 on because I still don't know if Bobby is stuck to the pavement in the frost in Florida. Eggs on the counter, and frying pan on the stove, make em like you like em. There's some leftover venison steak in the fridge you can either warm up for a side, or chop up into your scrambled eggs.

Mexstan 12-31-2017 07:40 AM

Good morning John - and the rest of you for when you finally wake up. Thanks for the coffee. Venison steak and eggs, now you are talking my language! Yummy, thanks.

Oh boy, I feel for you in those temperatures. Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt and very definitely do NOT want to do that any more. Cold is relative and we woke up this morning to a freezing (for us) 40F. That forced me to put a light sweater on as we have no central heat in the house. The sun is now coming up, so expect in 2 or 3 hours to back outside in shorts and comfortable in mid 70's temps.

Lazy day planned for today. Hope that the rest of you have a great day - once you get your butts unfrozen.

See yuh.

oliver foster 12-31-2017 08:20 AM

J,
I would think warming the motor oil and #2 up in the house BEFORE pouring it in the tank might help it do a little sloshing.
I am sure the wife would love a bucket or two of old motor oil in the kitchen warming up...[laugh]

Thanks for the venison steak and eggs. Yum.

Today was the first morning that I woke up too it being warmer than -20 in about a week up here in VT.

Enjoy the last day of 2017 guys!

cougar 12-31-2017 11:31 AM

Getting hit by high winds and warm temperatures. In my area, the gusts are only to 40mph, in other areas much higher. The temperatures are in the mid 30°s and slowly sliding back down from 40° last night. Turned the dragon loose, maybe he will thaw out things a little.
Making a fresh pot of coffee before heading out to the cabin again. Found out the wiring is messed up after replacing a GFI in the bathroom. My list is growing.

sherod 12-31-2017 01:28 PM

Glad to be up and running again. All my human systems were either too plugged, too loose, too warm or too cold. Now just a regular old fashioned chest cold. A friend dropped by a mason jar of home brew. Haven't tasted it yet but a sniff burned my nose. Bet it knocks the heck out of the cold, or at least makes me forget about it!

Hope nothing but the best for you Guy's in the New Year!

j_martin 12-31-2017 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3341248)
J,
I would think warming the motor oil and #2 up in the house BEFORE pouring it in the tank might help it do a little sloshing.
I am sure the wife would love a bucket or two of old motor oil in the kitchen warming up...[laugh]

On the other hand, if that experiment fails, I'm the one that'll be out in the cold. I think I'll pass.

Originally Posted by sherod (Post 3341261)
Glad to be up and running again. All my human systems were either too plugged, too loose, too warm or too cold. Now just a regular old fashioned chest cold. A friend dropped by a mason jar of home brew. Haven't tasted it yet but a sniff burned my nose. Bet it knocks the heck out of the cold, or at least makes me forget about it!

Hope nothing but the best for you Guy's in the New Year!

When I was in the Navy in the 60's, based in Charleston, I was visiting a friend in North Carolina, and I had a killer cold. He handed me a pint mason jar of that good stuff. I drank some (don't remember how much), flopped over backwards, slept about 10 hours, and woke up cured.

FiverBob 12-31-2017 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin (Post 3341240)
Coffee's on, Didn't put the ph00 on because I still don't know if Bobby is stuck to the pavement in the frost in Florida.

FROST???? WHAT FROST??? WHERE FROST???? Oh, you mean Frosty the snow man - - but he is not down here - - he up north. It is going to get cold here tonight. Going to be in the 50's. Brrrr. 60's tomorrow. I ain't complaining after listening to you guys.

Been looking out for the wife all afternoon after church this morning. Just now got computer turned on. Hope all have a great night and a FANTASTIC NEW YEAR.

....................[coffee].......................Ph00................:cool:

FiverBob 01-01-2018 07:03 AM

Hmmm!!!! Looks like everyone took my last statement last night to heart and they stayed up half the night. Still zonked out - - hopefully just from lack of sleep..............:o

Put fresh coffee and ph00 on to help wake up. Did not bring food - - not after what you ate last night.

Anywho - - - HAPPY NEWYEAR, SLEEPY HEADS. Hope it is a great one for all.

.........................[coffee]

oliver foster 01-01-2018 07:51 AM

Bob, I worked in the shop on my '91 and had a few IPAs till about 9 PM and then went too bed early.
I did hear some fireworks going off locally just before midnight.
I left some apple fritters on the counter as I just had turkey noodle soup and a salad for dinner...I am hungry.
Off to stoke the ever hungry wood stove. Not much warmer around here today.

Mexstan 01-01-2018 08:04 AM

Good morning everybody. What's that groaning and mumbling sound I hear every now and then?

Bob, thanks for the coffee. Oliver, thanks for the apple fritter, it goes well with Bob's coffee. Been up for hours already but did not get around to making coffee. Went to bed a bit later than normal as I got hooked on a book that I was given for Christmas. It's 704 pages long and I am already 3/4 thru it.

My wife needed some lemons so have just come back inside from picking some off the tree in our back yard. Another lovely day has dawned. Am I being cruel by saying that I have a two person swing on my terrace and yesterday after church my wife and I were sitting in it and enjoying the 77 degree weather before heading out for a delicious Mexican lunch. The tortillas that came with the lunch were so fresh and hot that they were hard to hold without burning a hand. Of course we ate at an outdoors restaurant.

Is it true that the weather for the first 12 days of the new year indicate what the rest of the year will be like? So far I am very much liking 2018.

Time for me to meander down to the kitchen and enjoy a fresh fruit breakfast.

Hope that all of you have a fantastic 2018 and some, if not all of your dreams and desires are met.

Ciao.

Scotty 01-01-2018 08:53 AM

Happy New Year!
Had a gruelling ice cold slippery wreck filled trip home and got here last night.
-56 wind chill?

all the best to all of you this year.

madhat 01-01-2018 11:06 AM

Afternoon, all. Happy New Year. Didn't stay up late to see the ball drop or anything...

Just checking in to say hi. Hope everyone is doing well in this cold.

cougar 01-01-2018 11:12 AM

Forgive my lack of enthusiasm, I had a bad night. Thank God for warm purring kitties.
Came in to grab a cup of Joe and a fritter, found one behind the counter.
The storm missed us, but there is another on its way in. Currently back in the 20°, but warming as the storm comes in. A chance of rain and/or freezing rain.

Ol-dodge 1992 01-01-2018 12:27 PM

Happy new year guys!!

Not terribly thrilled when I flushed the toilet this morning and the tank didn't start to fill up... yep! Water froze up last night ... which is odd as it's little warmer than it has been

Well no one is open so I can't replace the heat trace cable... got the line thawed out with hair dryer and loosely rewrapped and taped the insulation back on

I'll get new heat trace cable tomorrow and fix after work

Anybody gonna watch the college football playoffs tonight? I think Clemson beats Bama and then Oklahoma beats Clemson for the championship??!!??

My wife's from Birmingham so it will be a looooong week if Bama does get beat!!!!

oliver foster 01-02-2018 07:43 AM

-33F here this morning and the power went out for about 6 hours last night.
I had to empty the outdoor furnace so it didn't over boil without the pumps on. Then at midnight when the power came back on, start it up again.
All is good and the water pipes still are all working...Yeah!

Coffee and hot water for tea is on...you guy are in charge of snacks.

L8R

j_martin 01-02-2018 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3341371)
-33F here this morning and the power went out for about 6 hours last night.
I had to empty the outdoor furnace so it didn't over boil without the pumps on. Then at midnight when the power came back on, start it up again.
All is good and the water pipes still are all working...Yeah!

Coffee and hot water for tea is on...you guy are in charge of snacks.

L8R

My boiler is set up so I can choke it down to the point that shell heat loss is enough to keep it under the pop-off point. I have the parts to automate that feature, just haven't put them in yet.

Also I have a step stove in the basement to ward off freeze-up in case of an extended power outage.

I woke up to a balmy -9° this morning, fed the boiler, then discovered the ash dump shutter is froze up. Maybe a piece of refractory in it. Waiting for the first charge to burn down so I can investigate. Oh the joys of Minnesota winter.

I donated some cookies leftover from the new year shindig.

oliver foster 01-02-2018 01:50 PM

If the power was down for a while, say more than a day, I would just hook up a power inverter to the Taco water circulators and run one pump at a time off of truck batteries. It takes a while for the temp. to drop too much in the house or the shop as I have radiant tubes in the concrete, so I have a huge heat sink. On the other hand it does take a long time to heat up as well.

FiverBob 01-02-2018 04:17 PM

Evening gang. Been running since 6:15 this morning - - just got in. Had to bring in the orchids last night, but not cold enough to hurt anything else. A little warmer tonight, so they stay out. I have been planning a big surprise birthday party for Sunday after church for two ladies who are very faithful and both sweety pies. Have 92 people signed up to be there - - - that took me by surprise. The one will be 97 on Sunday - - the other will be 100 on Wednesday next week. They both are quite healthy and very sharp. Hope I am half as sharp when/if I hit 100. Figured after making to those ages they deserve a nice party.

Grabbing a ph00 and gone....................[coffee]

Mexstan 01-03-2018 06:45 AM

Good morning guys and gals, plus all those who are not sure what you are today. Not going to say anything about my weather for a while as I feel really bad for those of you up north who are in the middle of that crazy cold. Just read that it is going to get a lot worse too; A meteorological 'bomb' is about to go off near the East Coast There is a good chance that I will be heading north soon into some of that, but it will be to the Canadian NW coast, so not quite so bad. It still means that I need to find a winter jacket or two which I have not worn for many years.

Made some coffee using Oaxaca coffee this morning. Not bad, but Tim's still has it beat. My step-daughter is a pastry chef (trained in culinary universities in Spain and Mexico) and yesterday brought me a banana bread and a carrot cake. The stuff that she makes is amazing, so am sharing it with y'all. Fresh ph00 for you know wh00.

Not much news from down here today.

Ciao

oliver foster 01-03-2018 01:51 PM

Thanks for the banana bread and carrot cake Stan..yum
+20F and sunny here. A nice change form the -#s everyday for the past two weeks.

madhat 01-03-2018 05:00 PM

Thanks for the stuff, Stan. Bob, looks like you're getting a little cold weather. Good on you for working the b-day party.

Ice falling in Jville right now, salt out on the sidewalks because the OL decided to try to ice skate on the back steps... :O

Stay warm, everyone.

Ol-dodge 1992 01-03-2018 05:18 PM

Boy oh boy ... you snooze you loose... nuttin left but crumbs and a trace of cream cheese icing!!!

Just finished installing new heat trace on my water pipes... wrapped up with some insulation... and tuck tape. It's funny, been -30c for a week and a half then as it starts to warm up (0c today) the heat trace cuts out... probably ran constantly for the week a half, burnt up, and then water froze on New Year's Eve

Glad it's warming up! Oil changes are coming due on truck and Ford Expedition... I never have ran synthetic in the truck but I might give it a try ... then again it might cause more leaks than she's got now ...!!!

Going to prayer meeting at church tonight ... may have some homemade cookies for you guys if I can talk my daughter into making some

SD

FiverBob 01-03-2018 05:33 PM

BRRR - - where am I? Getting some rather cool weather down here the next 4 nights. Had to bring in the lanai potted plants and orchids. Even the highs for two days are slated for the 50's - - that is absurd for here. Yep, it's that global warming stuff doing it.

Originally Posted by Ol-dodge 1992 (Post 3341483)
Going to prayer meeting at church tonight ... may have some homemade cookies for you guys if I can talk my daughter into making some - SD

Save me some of those cookies - - the low cholesterol variety. YUM Had our Bible study last night. I am constantly amazed at prophesy - - studying Jezebel right now and how she set the stage for what is happening in the US. Your mouth just drops open when you see it.

OK, gotta go make my supper. Poor old bachelor does not like this stuff going on - - but - - - it is part of life. The wife is hanging in tough thru all the stress. Hard to watch a loved one going downhill before your eyes.

L8R

Scotty 01-04-2018 08:24 AM

Greetings!
need to clean all the salt off the truck today.

Bobby, your perseverance is awesome!

Stay safe folks, lots of extreme weather out there. Have seen my share lately.

I left several delightful snacks for oilive ewe.
lean back bacon, poached eggs, oatmeal and fresh squeezed orange juice.

oliver foster 01-04-2018 03:57 PM

Hellooo.
I grabbed a few pieces of bacon to have with my after work beer with the dragon.
Pretty quiet around here today.
Tomorrow looks like a plow day followed by another cold snap in VT.

FiverBob 01-04-2018 09:05 PM

Evening. Finally slowed down enough to see what happened around here. Scotty - - you laid out some nice stuff from the sounds of it. Funny thing though - - nothing is left and Oliver was the only one who signed in. Who else snuck in here, ate the goodies and snuck back out not letting anyone know? Bummer.

Oh well, too late to feed the gut now anywho - - just wanted to say hi - - temps in the mid 30's tonight. Wow, craze. This is Florida, not Canada. Oh well, brought in or protected all the plants I could. Hopefully no winds and not get as cold as predicted.

Tired and going to bed - - just had to say hi. Lousy sleep last night, so hit it early tonight and try to sleep past 4am - - crazy how you can be asleep and morning after morning wake up within five minutes of 4am. I looked all over my head and can't find an alarm clock strapped to it - - how can I do that so consistently. Don't understand it. .............[duhhh]

NiteyNight

madhat 01-05-2018 10:45 AM

Mornin... Day two of being snowed in... poor coastal north carolina, 5" of snow shuts everything down. It's mostly ice now... horrific roads.

cougar 01-05-2018 12:07 PM

The storm that missed us Monday back washed and side swiped us Wednesday. Started out as rain, then turned to wet heavy snow. 6" worth. Ya, nothing like what you all are getting back East, but just the worst conditions for us. Of course my alternator craps out on the drive home. People are freaking out because the roads are wet and icy besides the white out and blizzard conditions. Lots of wrecks.
We are sliding back into the teens again, but not for long. I'm hopping we stay below freezing and above 10°.

Mexstan 01-05-2018 12:36 PM

Greetings from way down here. As usual been up since way before dawn. Like Bob, I seem to have an alarm clock that consistently goes off way too early. Been trying to find the reset controls, but to no avail. My circadian rhythm has always dictated that I am a morning person and usually up before the sun and the sparrows.

Just came in from fixing a defective lawn sprinkler. My lawn grows in a sort of black gooey clay (gumbo?) and it is a royal pain in the you-know-where to dig up a sprinkler. That stuff when it is wet sticks to everything and is very hard to wash off.

Just saw a news item that to me is hilarious, so thought that I would share it with y'all. Those poor, hard done by, suffering people in Oregon! [duhhh] [guitar] [coffee]
Some Oregonians in Panic Mode After Law Allowing Motorists to Pump Their Own Gas Takes Effect | KTLA

cougar 01-05-2018 01:23 PM

Stan, saw that on the news last night. Poor babies. Maybe now they will go look for a real job and get off welfare and food stamps. I can't believe people would fight for a job like that. Back in the day, pumping gas was a courtesy by the station owner, not a mandate by a guberment.

sherod 01-05-2018 02:41 PM

A few days late, but got up on New Year morning to no heat. The propane furnace died during the night. I am lucky enough to "know a guy". I woke his wife with a phone call after waiting several hours until 0800 to be nice. He showed up about 1000 and was able to figure it out although several times it was me doing the troubleshooting. Not an expensive fix and it has kept running up till now. Found a plugged drain pipe going into the floor drain. Moisture backed up inside the lower plenum and would not allow the pressure switch to operate.

Mexstan 01-06-2018 10:00 AM

Good morning from lovely Mexico. Believe it or not, but we have another beuuuutiful day starting. Clear skies and warming weather. It will probably reach in the mid 70's later today.

Today is the Day of the Kings. For those that are not familiar with with this annual celebration I dug up some info for you to read. There is lots on the net and this is just one of many; https://www.tripsavvy.com/rosca-de-reyes-1588674
This is also the day that traditionally the Christmas decorations start to come down. In about an hour will be helping my wife to take down the Christmas tree and the various Christmas decorations.

Good tasting coffee and ph00 awaits your drinking pleasure. It is custard apple season, so left a bowl of peeled and cut up pieces on the counter. It is also quite healthy for you health nuts, so go and check out the health benefits. Love the taste too.

Off to do something.

Ciao

Ol-dodge 1992 01-06-2018 10:24 AM

Good morning gents... much warmer here the past few days ... daytime temperatures are right at 0c which is a vast improvement over-30c

What kinda apples ya got there Stan?? Never heard of making custard from apples

Back in WV we had Transparents ... Grimes Golden... and a little apple with pink flesh that my pawpaw called a June Pink

Up here in Alberta I'm trying to get some Parklanders to grow as well as Honeycrisps

Thanks for the "regular " coffee this morning... always enjoy coffee and Bible time early each morning

Mexstan 01-06-2018 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ol-dodge 1992 (Post 3341620)

What kinda apples ya got there Stan?? Never heard of making custard from apples

You asked, so here is more info than you need;
https://www.healthbenefitstimes.com/custard-apples/

cougar 01-06-2018 11:26 AM

The temperatures are sliding back to cold unfortunately. Looks like I won't be working on the house any time soon. The landlord plowed the driveway and uncovered the layer of ice underneath it. Thanks a lot.
Made some more coffee and left some reindeer in a blanket on the counter.

j_martin 01-06-2018 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by FiverBob (Post 3341562)
Tired and going to bed - - just had to say hi. Lousy sleep last night, so hit it early tonight and try to sleep past 4am - - crazy how you can be asleep and morning after morning wake up within five minutes of 4am. I looked all over my head and can't find an alarm clock strapped to it - - how can I do that so consistently. Don't understand it. .............[duhhh]

NiteyNight

Originally Posted by Mexstan (Post 3341586)
Greetings from way down here. As usual been up since way before dawn. Like Bob, I seem to have an alarm clock that consistently goes off way too early. Been trying to find the reset controls, but to no avail. My circadian rhythm has always dictated that I am a morning person and usually up before the sun and the sparrows.

Get used to it, old-tymers. It goes with the territory. Read Ecclesiastes 12,

20 burrlow here again this morning. Force fed the boiler for 4 hours to gain back the overnight 5° setback. Glad this week is almost over. Looks like the break room name turned into a self fulfilling prophecy. It's scratching and clawing to over 0° today, and looks like it'll stay in that territory till late next week.

Scotty 01-06-2018 01:22 PM

32F here today.

Stanimal, we’re putting all of our Christmas stuff away today.

sherod 01-06-2018 04:25 PM

Got up to 19f today. highest temp since Christmas eve. I thought I left all this 40 plus years ago when I I left Montana. Ok, mot complaining, but I really wish I had a preheater on the plane! (and ac power to drive it).

Made a big batch of jambalaya. A friend brought back fresh shrimp from the Gulf. Dig in, but be warned, it's hot! Also has wild hog sausage in it.