Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Frozen Solid New Year Break Room 12/31-1/6

Old 01-02-2018, 09:50 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
-33F here this morning and the power went out for about 6 hours last night.
I had to empty the outdoor furnace so it didn't over boil without the pumps on. Then at midnight when the power came back on, start it up again.
All is good and the water pipes still are all working...Yeah!

Coffee and hot water for tea is on...you guy are in charge of snacks.

L8R
My boiler is set up so I can choke it down to the point that shell heat loss is enough to keep it under the pop-off point. I have the parts to automate that feature, just haven't put them in yet.

Also I have a step stove in the basement to ward off freeze-up in case of an extended power outage.

I woke up to a balmy -9° this morning, fed the boiler, then discovered the ash dump shutter is froze up. Maybe a piece of refractory in it. Waiting for the first charge to burn down so I can investigate. Oh the joys of Minnesota winter.

I donated some cookies leftover from the new year shindig.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,568 Posts
If the power was down for a while, say more than a day, I would just hook up a power inverter to the Taco water circulators and run one pump at a time off of truck batteries. It takes a while for the temp. to drop too much in the house or the shop as I have radiant tubes in the concrete, so I have a huge heat sink. On the other hand it does take a long time to heat up as well.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:17 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Evening gang. Been running since 6:15 this morning - - just got in. Had to bring in the orchids last night, but not cold enough to hurt anything else. A little warmer tonight, so they stay out. I have been planning a big surprise birthday party for Sunday after church for two ladies who are very faithful and both sweety pies. Have 92 people signed up to be there - - - that took me by surprise. The one will be 97 on Sunday - - the other will be 100 on Wednesday next week. They both are quite healthy and very sharp. Hope I am half as sharp when/if I hit 100. Figured after making to those ages they deserve a nice party.

Grabbing a ph00 and gone....................
Old 01-03-2018, 06:45 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Good morning guys and gals, plus all those who are not sure what you are today. Not going to say anything about my weather for a while as I feel really bad for those of you up north who are in the middle of that crazy cold. Just read that it is going to get a lot worse too; A meteorological 'bomb' is about to go off near the East Coast There is a good chance that I will be heading north soon into some of that, but it will be to the Canadian NW coast, so not quite so bad. It still means that I need to find a winter jacket or two which I have not worn for many years.

Made some coffee using Oaxaca coffee this morning. Not bad, but Tim's still has it beat. My step-daughter is a pastry chef (trained in culinary universities in Spain and Mexico) and yesterday brought me a banana bread and a carrot cake. The stuff that she makes is amazing, so am sharing it with y'all. Fresh ph00 for you know wh00.

Not much news from down here today.

Ciao
Old 01-03-2018, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the banana bread and carrot cake Stan..yum
+20F and sunny here. A nice change form the -#s everyday for the past two weeks.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks for the stuff, Stan. Bob, looks like you're getting a little cold weather. Good on you for working the b-day party.

Ice falling in Jville right now, salt out on the sidewalks because the OL decided to try to ice skate on the back steps... :O

Stay warm, everyone.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Boy oh boy ... you snooze you loose... nuttin left but crumbs and a trace of cream cheese icing!!!

Just finished installing new heat trace on my water pipes... wrapped up with some insulation... and tuck tape. It's funny, been -30c for a week and a half then as it starts to warm up (0c today) the heat trace cuts out... probably ran constantly for the week a half, burnt up, and then water froze on New Year's Eve

Glad it's warming up! Oil changes are coming due on truck and Ford Expedition... I never have ran synthetic in the truck but I might give it a try ... then again it might cause more leaks than she's got now ...!!!

Going to prayer meeting at church tonight ... may have some homemade cookies for you guys if I can talk my daughter into making some

SD
Old 01-03-2018, 05:33 PM

BRRR - - where am I? Getting some rather cool weather down here the next 4 nights. Had to bring in the lanai potted plants and orchids. Even the highs for two days are slated for the 50's - - that is absurd for here. Yep, it's that global warming stuff doing it.

Originally Posted by Ol-dodge 1992
Going to prayer meeting at church tonight ... may have some homemade cookies for you guys if I can talk my daughter into making some - SD
Save me some of those cookies - - the low cholesterol variety. YUM Had our Bible study last night. I am constantly amazed at prophesy - - studying Jezebel right now and how she set the stage for what is happening in the US. Your mouth just drops open when you see it.

OK, gotta go make my supper. Poor old bachelor does not like this stuff going on - - but - - - it is part of life. The wife is hanging in tough thru all the stress. Hard to watch a loved one going downhill before your eyes.

L8R
Old 01-04-2018, 08:24 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Greetings!
need to clean all the salt off the truck today.

Bobby, your perseverance is awesome!

Stay safe folks, lots of extreme weather out there. Have seen my share lately.

I left several delightful snacks for oilive ewe.
lean back bacon, poached eggs, oatmeal and fresh squeezed orange juice.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:57 PM

Hellooo.
I grabbed a few pieces of bacon to have with my after work beer with the dragon.
Pretty quiet around here today.
Tomorrow looks like a plow day followed by another cold snap in VT.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:05 PM

Evening. Finally slowed down enough to see what happened around here. Scotty - - you laid out some nice stuff from the sounds of it. Funny thing though - - nothing is left and Oliver was the only one who signed in. Who else snuck in here, ate the goodies and snuck back out not letting anyone know? Bummer.

Oh well, too late to feed the gut now anywho - - just wanted to say hi - - temps in the mid 30's tonight. Wow, craze. This is Florida, not Canada. Oh well, brought in or protected all the plants I could. Hopefully no winds and not get as cold as predicted.

Tired and going to bed - - just had to say hi. Lousy sleep last night, so hit it early tonight and try to sleep past 4am - - crazy how you can be asleep and morning after morning wake up within five minutes of 4am. I looked all over my head and can't find an alarm clock strapped to it - - how can I do that so consistently. Don't understand it. .............

NiteyNight
Old 01-05-2018, 10:45 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mornin... Day two of being snowed in... poor coastal north carolina, 5" of snow shuts everything down. It's mostly ice now... horrific roads.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 413 Likes on 316 Posts
The storm that missed us Monday back washed and side swiped us Wednesday. Started out as rain, then turned to wet heavy snow. 6" worth. Ya, nothing like what you all are getting back East, but just the worst conditions for us. Of course my alternator craps out on the drive home. People are freaking out because the roads are wet and icy besides the white out and blizzard conditions. Lots of wrecks.
We are sliding back into the teens again, but not for long. I'm hopping we stay below freezing and above 10°.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:36 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Greetings from way down here. As usual been up since way before dawn. Like Bob, I seem to have an alarm clock that consistently goes off way too early. Been trying to find the reset controls, but to no avail. My circadian rhythm has always dictated that I am a morning person and usually up before the sun and the sparrows.

Just came in from fixing a defective lawn sprinkler. My lawn grows in a sort of black gooey clay (gumbo?) and it is a royal pain in the you-know-where to dig up a sprinkler. That stuff when it is wet sticks to everything and is very hard to wash off.

Just saw a news item that to me is hilarious, so thought that I would share it with y'all. Those poor, hard done by, suffering people in Oregon!
Some Oregonians in Panic Mode After Law Allowing Motorists to Pump Their Own Gas Takes Effect | KTLA
Old 01-05-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 413 Likes on 316 Posts
Stan, saw that on the news last night. Poor babies. Maybe now they will go look for a real job and get off welfare and food stamps. I can't believe people would fight for a job like that. Back in the day, pumping gas was a courtesy by the station owner, not a mandate by a guberment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Frozen Solid New Year Break Room 12/31-1/6