Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Earthquake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My B-I-L (Bubblehead) is at Coronado, he's a Tennessee boy and this was his first EQ, apparently he was freaking out per Sis, the aftershocks aren't helping I guess.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i was in greece about 6 years ago i woke up to a really bad shaking. Wondered what the heck was going on? looked around i thought someone was shaking my bed but i was sooo out of it i just feel back asleep cause i couldn't be bothered

wake up in the morning turn the tv on and look at all the horror and destruction that happened because of that earthquake lol. All i could think of was. "I slept through that? wow!"
Old 04-06-2010, 02:04 PM
DTR Mom

[QUOTE=Blake Clark;2741094]Is that the new Indian truck they got coming out.
snicker snicker -that's funny.

I thought we were safe, we just suffer high taxes here in new york state. but we have had two earthquakes, two tornadoes, two floods (we live on a low mountain- go figure) two sinkholes over 100 ft. and two fire storms. good thing death comes in threes....

got relatives and friends in CA. saw pics of the '91 freeway crushed. no thanks, I will take our little no damage quakes. Glad you got to experience something new mark. try to bomb THAT! heheheh chairs with wheels so you can wear your white helmet? kidding
Old 04-07-2010, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I have lived here all of my life and I have been through many of them, Whittier, Northridge, Loma Prieta and I am not afraid of them but I respect them, I think it is a display of awesome power.

I have been shaken out of my bed by them and have been in some where it is impossible to even walk because the ground is shaking so bad. I have looked down my hall as I was hanging onto the doorway and have seen the concrete floor and walls shaking and twisting side-to-side with ground swells you could see and still no real damage to our house.

Right after the Northridge earthquake I was in the attic of a house off Reseda Blvd checking a furnace when an aftershock hit, I came out of the attic real quick then I found the chimney came down.

The San Fernando Vally was insane, it took my almost 4 hours to get from the 210/118 freeway to Reseda Blvd normally maybe 4 minuets normal traffic it was mass confusion.

Most of the houses here in Southern California are built to withstand an earthquake but it still causes a lot of damage to older buildings built before the stricter codes, especially un-reinforced masonry.

But we are prepared.

Here is an earthquake in 07/29/2008 captured by one of my surveillance cameras just as my truck drives by; even though I was driving I felt this one.

This camera is securely mounted to my chimney so you can see just how much the ground shakes.

Jim
Old 04-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah, my truck was moving pretty hard. Wish I would have had the camera on me, but I think I had too many beers to run inside during an earthquake.

I need to talk to you about your home surveillance system sometime... I've seen your stuff before, sweet setup. Espically your 15 million dB truck alarm...
Old 04-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I am from the San Francisco Bay area myself and have seen my fair share of earthquakes. Many years ago I was headed out to my truck to run to the store, just as I reached for the door handle it moved away from me I blinked and it moved back

Then I looked down the street and saw all the power lines swinging and realized the ground was shaking Funny how you can be walking and not feel the ground moving as easily as if you were seated or standing still.

My brother went through that 91 quake and had just got off the Bay Bridge before it collapsed killing all those people. He often remarks about the difference 5 minutes can make in ones life.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:15 AM
DTR Detective

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I am from the San Francisco Bay area myself and have seen my fair share of earthquakes. Many years ago I was headed out to my truck to run to the store, just as I reached for the door handle it moved away from me I blinked and it moved back

Then I looked down the street and saw all the power lines swinging and realized the ground was shaking Funny how you can be walking and not feel the ground moving as easily as if you were seated or standing still.

My brother went through that 91 quake and had just got off the Bay Bridge before it collapsed killing all those people. He often remarks about the difference 5 minutes can make in ones life.
Loma Prieta was 1989, You're thinking of 1991 because that was the year of the Oakland Firestorm.

I've never been driving during and EQ but I understand it feels like driving on flat tires per my Aunt who was on a connector ramp in the San Jose area during Loma Prieta.

Loma Prieta was the only EQ that I have actually got up and moved to a safer location, I actually threw my buddy who was with me towards the front door. You could see the street rolling like sets of waves coming in at the beach.

I think they're more exciting than scary, course I haven't been injured due to one so I'm biased.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:22 AM
DTR Detective

Jim, That was the Chino Hills quake, right?

Was it windy that day or was the EQ actually that long in duration? All of the +5's up here in NoCal have only lasted a few seconds that I recall. Even Loma Prieta was something like 15 seconds that I recall.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I recall an experience with an earthquake that really made you wonder what was happening. Down by San Diego I was doing exactly what my older twin described. I reached to the door handle of the truck and it moved away. Then I heard some alarms go off and while I was looking around the door handle bumped my hand. It felt like I was on ice because the next tremor put a foot of space in between my truck and myself and then it all came back to normal.
I used to haul cars on a triple hauler between Phoenix and San Diego. I would drive at night, show up in SD and then off load. Sleep in the motel across the street and then reload at days end and head back to AZ. That day there was at least 4 tremors like that. The last one was when I was driving a car up the ramps on the trailer. I missed the ramps! Got wedged for a few seconds and then the car rolled back off the ramps. Really odd feeling when that happens.

Lary has told me of the stories of his quakes...but it always ALWAYS has something to do with his LEGGS!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:42 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lary,

I didn't know you were from the Bay Area. Are you referring to the Cypress Structure that collaped and crushed so many? I know one section of the upper deck of the Bay Bridge fell and killed, I think one. For years the Cypress structure freeway was a death trap waiting to happen. Terrible design.

For me, one of the most nerve wracking things about earthquakes is the aftershocks. Right when my nerves are already on edge there is a repeated shaking that always makes me wonder if it will get bigger and bigger.

The San Mateo Bridge also took a beating in the Loma Prieta quake. I went and inspected it in my boat and there was a lot of concrete around the support areas that had just dropped off into the water. In Redwood City I was one of the few that had power because I was on my boat and unaffected. It became the local communication center for the neighborhood. All the TV stations were off the air or broadcasting in black and white. Wild stories were being reported about the "total collapse of the Bay Bridge" etc.

The recent Chile quake was fun in Hawaii. Tsunami warnings all over the place blasting at 5:30 in the morning. Roads near the ocean blocked and low lying areas evacuated. Everyone watching the sea for the big waves. Then, a week or so later, there was a nice medium quake on the Big Island.

We are so overdue for another significant quake her in CA. All around the Pacific there seems to be movement.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by steelblitzkrieg
Jim, That was the Chino Hills quake, right?

Was it windy that day or was the EQ actually that long in duration? All of the +5's up here in NoCal have only lasted a few seconds that I recall.
Even Loma Prieta was something like 15 seconds that I recall.
Not exactly sure where the epicenter was on this one 33.953°N, 117.761°W. 3 miles SW from Chino Hills.

This camera is securely mounted to the top of my chimney.

The quake we had last week had a rolling motion and you could see movement for some time after.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...08/ci14383980/

Here are some pictures from the 1989 Loma Prieata Quake.

http://gallery.usgs.gov/sets/1989_Lo...nia_Earthquake

The longest quake recorded was in Sumatra on December 26, 2004, it was 9.1 - 9.3 and lasted almost 10 minuets long and had the energy released of a 100 gigaton bomb.

Jim
Old 04-08-2010, 01:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been through a couple myself, my first "big one" was the '94 Northridge EQ when I was at Camp Pendleton. Sounded like someone pounding on my door so I got out of bed and opened the door .... about the same time everyone on our side of the building did the same thing.

Then there was the 7.2 EQ out near Joshua Tree in late '99 that made my apartment in Tustin sway like a drunkard, and the several 5.0 through 6.4 EQ's from the Chino Hills area while living in Ontario (gotta love the Inland Empire).

Haven't had to ride one out in a while ... I need to make a trip to SoCal to get my refresher.

-K
Old 04-09-2010, 12:59 AM

Hey mad, welcome to the so cal/az desert where there are a bunch of fault lines! I have lived here 30 years and I have experienced a bunch of these! Eventually you will get used to them. Although I have never experienced a 7.0+ Yeah that was a pretty wild ride on sunday! These aftershocks have been getting to me but a little bit of liquid encouragement got me over them!
Old 04-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I felt one yesterday morning, just for about two seconds. They said they felt it more on base.

I'm not worried. I'm a renter, and I have a generator that will run the majority of the house
Old 04-09-2010, 08:04 PM

Huh....I was a sixth grader in 71 living in Sylmar...that was quite a ride!

Dad was on the face of the Castaic Dam, still under construction....at 6:01 a.m. he was warming up his D9 and a portacan seat at the same time...he thought the other blade operator was dozing the gump! Surprise!

Quick Reply: Earthquake!!!