Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

E-Bay Scam Auction Alert

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you buy something here in the US on ebay, send postal money orders. I said plural because for each one you pay with, it's a separate federal offense if you get ripped off. From what I've heard, the post office does indeed take that stuff seriously, and will often get law enforcement local to the crook involved. Paypal is generally a joke-ever try to find their phone number to call if you have a problem? Unless they changed this recently, it's almost impossible to get. Other party complains to them-they'll take money right out of your account if it's there to take, without notifying you. It gets real hard to deal with them when it comes to getting it back. I have not personally had this problem, but on various forums I've seen time and again where someone gets burned, and paypal is suddenly like a fart in the wind to deal with. There is at least one website devoted entirely to spreading stories like that about paypal-www.paypalsucks.com. Myself, I've heard horror stories enough times about them that I've learned my lesson the easy way. When you hear essentially the same thing about a business over and over, you can generally assume there's something to it.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paypal ripped off my buddy. i was a witness to him shipping a perfectly good and working nextel phone. iw as there when he boxed it up. the woman emailed him 3 days later and put in a claim to paypal that the phone wasnt in the box, but all the accessories were. paypal sided with her, then took the money out of his account and refunded to the woman. he later found out this person had done the same thing to many people. she would claim the merchandise never came, and the money would be removed from their account and she would get the item for free.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:55 AM

I have got a couple of random emails from ebay people complaining about no payments for stuff, and I never bought anything close to what they are talking about so I just delete em
Old 10-05-2006, 08:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have bought and sold tons of stuff on e-Bay before this, but I always used the feedback system to judge weather or not the seller in a good one. Now all bets are off because someone can hijack the seller's account and you are screwed.

To me this is really sad. More and more people are just to lazy to acutally work for a living. They make their living by ripping good people off.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:27 AM

Try bidding on a Harley & see how many second chance offers you get to buy it for some super low price. I've been bidding on late model V Rods & get a second chance offer on every one of 'em!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is really common with horse trailers on E-bay....... Lots and lots of scams.

I too have gotten scam e-mails from a Pay-Pal look alike website, when I contacted pAY-pAL about it they were very helpful...

I have no complaints but do wish E-bay would stop the scams.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by moterhead
Try bidding on a Harley & see how many second chance offers you get to buy it for some super low price. I've been bidding on late model V Rods & get a second chance offer on every one of 'em!
That is funny that you say that. I just got a second chance offer to buy a comp box for $225. I passed on it.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:51 AM

The sure-fire way to tell if it's a scam message is to look in your ebay "Messages" box. If the second chance offer message is there, it's genuine, it's not. Some of the "phishing" messages I get look so much like real ebay that it's scary. Folks who aren't really computer savy or new to ebay, would likely fall for 'em. LIke other posters, I hope ebay can come up with a way to stop 'em. Unlikely. Spam has been illegal for years, but I still get lots. I've got a yahoo email account that I use occasionally. It has no filters on it. Gets around 6,000 spams a month!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:55 AM

I had a horrible experience with some Edited by Admin named petes_auto_data. I bought something from him, the item location listed in Chandler, AZ and the paypal monies were sent to Canada. I was freaked out! I sent at least 9 emails over almost 4 weeks to this joke seller, I got one 'blanket' email back to all his buyers and then the item arrived with Canadian postage.

I complained to eBay, left the seller neutral feedback and I got retalitory feedback from the seller.

eBay just sat there and said "Sorry you have had a bad experience, however....." and did nothing! They really have become the Microsoft/Cisco/Adobe of the auction world. THEY SUCK!

Another user who will not use eBay any more!

John
Old 10-24-2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by v8440
If you buy something here in the US on ebay, send postal money orders. I said plural because for each one you pay with, it's a separate federal offense if you get ripped off. From what I've heard, the post office does indeed take that stuff seriously, and will often get law enforcement local to the crook involved. Paypal is generally a joke-ever try to find their phone number to call if you have a problem? Unless they changed this recently, it's almost impossible to get. Other party complains to them-they'll take money right out of your account if it's there to take, without notifying you. It gets real hard to deal with them when it comes to getting it back. I have not personally had this problem, but on various forums I've seen time and again where someone gets burned, and paypal is suddenly like a fart in the wind to deal with. There is at least one website devoted entirely to spreading stories like that about paypal-www.paypalsucks.com. Myself, I've heard horror stories enough times about them that I've learned my lesson the easy way. When you hear essentially the same thing about a business over and over, you can generally assume there's something to it.
Paypal is a subsidary of eBay.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:05 AM

those scams are criminal actions commited by people to lazy to make an onest living, but police wont get involved it's doesn't generate income like traffic tickets or probation fees.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:57 AM
DTR Mom

Smile Too Much experience on Ebay/Paypal

I agree and yes- you have to check now about scam sellers and buyers.

I have over 700 transactions and got burned by Paypal when I DIDN'T even have an account with them. and yes! they are impossible to get a hold of unless you know that 'complaintresponse@paypal.com ' is the address.
Ebay's one is 'rswebhelp@ebay.com' or 1800 717 3229
look up paypal's phone number by hitting the contact us link.

do not clink on any emails that have an item for sale/buy listing you as either that you know is wrong. just delete it. Ebay doesn't care , they are public use type computers mostly and it just gets you to a monitoring site, trojan horse type site.

I started when ebay was honestly a yard sale for the (country) at that time. very honest, very reasonable and good friends made.
NOW, IMHO, it is kinda good for some businesses and a boon to lazy , welfare wonders who never claim that income. I do not have a good opinion as U can guess. I too have had to fight my own battles to make someone become honest and return my money/goods. It was a hoot to show up at someone's house though, to see the set up dog kennels they bought from me but said they never received. yeah, I got paid without the police being involved. Selling is more of a hassle than buying.
Some prices used to be good, now all are the same as retail. try googling online auction.... you may end up better. Use Postal money orders.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:59 PM

I never buy from outside the US. I have bought quite a few things on ebay and have had a few bad experiences so now I rarely buy on there unless I know the person or business and I contact them first for a phone number and addy. I buy a lot of vehicle parts and yes things for my cummins. My first rip off was from a former member of one of these cummins sites. He was a member I was lookin for a part for my cummins and he said he had one on ebay for sale. I checked right away and sure enough he did. So i won the bid and sent a postal money order by certified return mail, i have had nightmares with PayPal....never ever will i deal with them!! I did not recieve the item, a number 10 fuel plate for my 12valver, so I notified ebay...no response. Got the guys phone number .. oh guess what UNHOOKED!! This was in Kansas over 500 miles from . I called his cousins, neighbors, businesses, anyone in that town. Everyone knew I was lookin for him. No response. Grab 2 of my friends , went down there, got the sherrif, tracked him down , got my money back and the fuel plate. Federal offense takin money and no product... Wow he sure was cooperative!! I think it was my 2 buddies that scared him!! Now im havin problems with a business in New Orleans on a tires I bought!! Sure could use help from anyone in that area! Quite a ways for me to drive but the cummins runs REAL goooood!!
Old 10-30-2006, 06:46 AM

I fell for a 2nd chance offer on a turbo a couple years ago from a member with a 100% rating. The scumbag apparently bought and sold a few items to get the good rating and then ripped a bunch of people off all at once. He sold the same turbo to several people. Only after this did I get a message from E-bay telling me to beware of 2nd chance offers. This one was legit but he sent it to everyone who had bid. He also had his dirtbag wife bidding to drive the price up and then retract the bids.
If you are out there Larry Doran of Chillicothe Illinois, I hope you die a painful death! Better yet, I hope you live a long life full of pain!!!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 05:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey guys, I've been researching e-bay scam stuff.

If you get ANY e-mails from e-Bay send them to spoof@ebay.com

They are collectinf spoof e-mails and demanding the IP's delete and punish people who spam, scam, and phish for e-bay users.