Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   DTV Converters, Cable and Satellite Misinformation (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/dtv-converters-cable-satellite-misinformation-239078/)

Totallyrad 04-03-2009 07:51 AM

DTV Converters, Cable and Satellite Misinformation

Just a little info I recently found out about. I mistakenly believed the local TV commercials about the DTV conversion. The commercials indicate that if you are currently connected to cable of satellite, you have no worries when the full switch to digital broadcasting occurs. This is not correct! I recently talked to my local cable provider and was informed I had to obtain a DTV converter to continue to receive all the programing I'm paying for and I only subscribe to basic and expanded basic cable. Even those who already have digital reception may have to upgrade. I have emailed my local TV stations because they've been producing and airing these commercials and they're full of crap! I encourage you to check it out for yourself and do the same. Here's what I've been sending, including the link to the FCC's website. Feel free to use it if you want.

I am sending this because the information being disseminated in the local television market is incorrect. If you will view the link included from the FCC's website, it will clarify my concerns. http://www.dtv.gov/affected.html I recently learned from my cable provider, ____________________, that even though I am a cable subscriber, I still have to obtain a DTV converter in order to continue to view all the programming offered under the basic and extended basic cable packages, which includes your local programming. According to local commercials, featuring local personalities that I trust, I feel I have been misled. I would greatly appreciate it if you would research this information and correctly air the results. I have personally not spoken to anyone who subscribes to cable that was aware of the need for a DTV converter. All believed they needed no additional equipment based on the information provided by their local news personalities.Thank you for your time and attention to this important matter.

2500Ram 04-03-2009 08:09 AM

I just checked with DirecTV and it's all good for June 12th.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...ssetId=3460059
And Comcast
http://www.comcast.com/dtv/default.h...V&lpos=TopFAQs

Totallyrad 04-03-2009 08:24 AM

In the case of satellite, according to the FCC, the HD channels may be affected.

AkTallPaul 04-03-2009 12:43 PM

On a side note.....The town I live outside of has put in a different antenna system. Instead of making everyone buy a box, the new antenna will recieve digital and rebroadcast in analog.....Maks you wonder huh

jumper 04-03-2009 01:08 PM

OTA digital signals are NOT equivalent to analog. Those outside of metro areas may well find that even with a converter box they can no longer receive the channels that used to come in fine before the digital "Upgrade." The digital signal just isn't as powerful and has line of sight issues that analog avoids. Its kind of like FM vs AM radio signals, in a different sort of way.

As for satellite TV. Its all digital now anyway. I don't see how that will be compromised after the cutover. Now, if you currently mix local OTA analog signals from your rabbit ears into your satellite box, then, yes, you'd need a converter.

patdaly 04-03-2009 05:16 PM

Funny, I am far from line of sight, and I get better Digital OTA reception than I ever did with Analog.

I guess it is what market you are in and what the Stations have done to optimize their signals.

Rick, I believe it is your local Cable company pulling shenanigans, as there is NO requirement for them to convert to digital, other than to squeeze a few bucks from their consumers. ( they would never do that, right? )

Shovelhead 04-03-2009 09:46 PM

I recently did a Channel Scan with my Vizio tv in Arlington VA and found out I can recieve 11 digital channels
with "Rabbit Ears" and WITHOUT A CONVERTER. :cool:

In Burkeville, VA I get 6 analog and 4 Digital....but then I'm 50 miles SW of a large city.

phox_mulder 04-04-2009 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Totallyrad (Post 2440724)
Just a little info I recently found out about. I mistakenly believed the local TV commercials about the DTV conversion. The commercials indicate that if you are currently connected to cable of satellite, you have no worries when the full switch to digital broadcasting occurs. This is not correct! I recently talked to my local cable provider and was informed I had to obtain a DTV converter to continue to receive all the programing I'm paying for and I only subscribe to basic and expanded basic cable. Even those who already have digital reception may have to upgrade.

Whomever you spoke to at your local cable company is severely misinformed.

DTV Converter Boxes have absolutely nothing to do with Cable.
They only take digital Over The Air signals and convert it to an analog signal an old TV can display.

They might have been speaking of a Digital Cable box.
Many cable companies who are currently sending analog signals down the cable are using the Digital TV Changeover to switch to an all Digital Cable system.
It allows them to send much more content down the same old cable.
Cable Ready TV's that have worked for years with Analog Cable won't with Digital Cable.
You must use a Digital Cable Box to see anything, unless your TV has a Digital QAM tuner and supports Cable Cards.

phox

phox_mulder 04-04-2009 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Totallyrad (Post 2440753)
In the case of satellite, according to the FCC, the HD channels may be affected.

Only HD local channels that are changing to a different frequency when they turn off their Analog transmitters.

Then only for a short time until the Satellite companies reconfigure their facilities for the new frequencies.

Subchannels are a different story, as DirecTV and DishNetwork have stated they won't carry subchannels, but that's another thread.

phox