Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Dodge Charger ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to Dodge Truck World and search for them on the Hemi forum. A bunch of those guys are loosing engines.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:10 PM

Anybody know where the NCSHP Chargers are stationed?
I haven't seen one on the road, (but I don't cruise by the HP garage regularly)

Also, where are the Camaros? how many are left?
I know there used to be a marked and unmarked HP Camaro back home (Nash County), and an unmarked white one on the new 264 bypass, but haven't seen any lately.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:31 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I know of one Camaro and one Charger in Wake County. Don't know where the others are. They have 10 of them on the road right now.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:38 PM

I don't think I would even put ls1 or lt1 in the same sentence as unreliable. The new chargers are nice though, and i'm glad the manufactuers are going back to the old school looks. Now if they will just bring back the big time HP wars life would be great.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kemble
I don't think I would even put ls1 or lt1 in the same sentence as unreliable. The new chargers are nice though, and i'm glad the manufactuers are going back to the old school looks. Now if they will just bring back the big time HP wars life would be great.
What--Dodge Viper 500HP
Corvette 500HP
Mustang 500HP
Ford GT 500HP
Charger SRT 8 425HP

Life looks pretty "fast" to me
Old 10-04-2006, 03:59 PM

Where I live, the local police department uses Crown Vics and has since 1997. Before that, they used the Caprice. For the Traffic unit, besides BMW motor cycles, they use Camaros and Crown Vics. The Crown Vics are not the fastest around, but they are way more reliable and easy to service than the Caprice or Camaro. Just look under the hood at all three. The v-8 is stuffed in the Camaro. The Crown Vic engine compartment is like a 60’s car. Ask a police mechanic and he (or she, I guess) will tell you that the Crown Vic is the best car for police use.

For the abuse these cars take, the Crown Vic has proven itself for several years. But the Charger looks cool. I know it would beat a Crown Vic in a race. But I don’t think any large departments care who will win at the drag strip. I bet the Crown Vic will be around for a long time…
Old 10-04-2006, 04:15 PM
DTR Founder

Originally Posted by stock03
Where I live, the local police department uses Crown Vics and has since 1997. Before that, they used the Caprice. For the Traffic unit, besides BMW motor cycles, they use Camaros and Crown Vics. The Crown Vics are not the fastest around, but they are way more reliable and easy to service than the Caprice or Camaro. Just look under the hood at all three. The v-8 is stuffed in the Camaro. The Crown Vic engine compartment is like a 60’s car. Ask a police mechanic and he (or she, I guess) will tell you that the Crown Vic is the best car for police use.

For the abuse these cars take, the Crown Vic has proven itself for several years. But the Charger looks cool. I know it would beat a Crown Vic in a race. But I don’t think any large departments care who will win at the drag strip. I bet the Crown Vic will be around for a long time…
I agree with all that you've said. I drive a Crown Vic for Search and Rescue. I BEAT THE HECK out of that car and it just keeps going and going. I'll leave it idle for 4-6 hours at a time to either keep the dog warm or cool. I've hit horrible bumps, gone over curbs, driven fast and braked hard. The thing takes abuse and still runs great at 140k miles. I bet we'll have it for at least another year or two before we replace it, with another vic of course. I don't see a lot of room for a dog in the charger.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
I agree with all that you've said. I drive a Crown Vic for Search and Rescue. I BEAT THE HECK out of that car and it just keeps going and going. I'll leave it idle for 4-6 hours at a time to either keep the dog warm or cool. I've hit horrible bumps, gone over curbs, driven fast and braked hard. The thing takes abuse and still runs great at 140k miles.
I AGREE!

Those cars are nearly unstopable, my parents've had 2 Grand Marquis, one with 220k+ and still running strong (although we are looking for a replacement)
The other was driven by both me & my brother when our trucks were out of commision, it has been used and abused by drag races, hauling hay, checking cattle (at one point it even had a set of 32 x 10.50 Scorpion AT's on the back ), it has been wrapped up with mud more than my dodge, and been buried until the back bumper was scooping mud up, done well over 100 down the interstate and lots of other such nonesense.
Other than the plastic intake manifolds these cars are TANKS, and are a lot quicker than they get credit for.

My brother now drives an '06 Charger Daytona, although it will spank the CV/GM, he has already had more trouble with it in under 40k than we ever had with the big Mercs.

Sorry for the long post, a little bit of rambling there

SUMMARY: Crown Vics won't be going anywhere in the near future
Old 10-04-2006, 09:26 PM

But if you want to make a CV fast, you could probably fabricate a blower kit, or any other performance item, from a 4.6 Mustang. There are several 4.6 Mustangs with well over 500hp that are daily drivers with emissions and A/C. A 500hp CV would be a blast!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
This is not true. The Crown Victoria is still in production, and Ford has no plans on getting rid of it anytime soon. The CVPI is a huge source of revenue for Ford. They still dominate the market and will probably do so for quite some time. I see a lot of potential in the Charger, but don't count Ford out yet. Both vehicles have their place, just as the Caprice / CV did back in the 80's and 90's. Again, the CVPI is going to stay in production well into the future.

I would say that this also isn't true. Having been around the NC Highway Patrol, knowing that they are still running Camaros, I had some conversations with them about that. Their answer is that they have had nothing but good luck with the Camaros. They are still running a few of them now, and plan on testing them again when they go back into production.

I'm just wondering where you're getting your information. Both the CVPI and Charger are rated at the same mileage according to the EPA. 17 city and 25 highway. They show the fuel cost as exactly the same. Of course all of these are estimates.

Yes they are Rated the same, but the actual mileage that the car get in the real world is different. I'm only talking about 1-3 mpg difference that will of course add up in the long run saving the State's money.

Ford has fased out there support with the CrownVics after 07 from what I have been reading, and been told. The HWY Patrol is getting the new Chargers to continue with there outdated cars program.

Yes they are still running them in NC. But there are allot of states that have pushed the Camaro out because of higher maintenance and operating cost????? Why??? This is what I have read and heard from some local and out of state law enforcement. I hope that they do run the new camaros in the future also! That would be cool. The local HWY Patrol and the local Sheriff Department have late night high speed runs on the local 85 South Stretch here.

Last edited by boostjunkie1; 10-04-2006 at 10:55 PM. Reason: misspellings
Old 10-04-2006, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On a sad note, even an '06 Charger is no match for a semi.

"Trooper William McClendon was killed when his cruiser was crushed beneath an 18-wheeler."

http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=111975

http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=112171
Old 10-04-2006, 11:02 PM

The real deciding factor, IMO, is if chargers explode when rear ended.

There was another Ford blow up a few days ago that took two troopers lives i believe.

http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.p...929-A1-02.html

Investigation is trying to rule ford out of it.. This really saddens me to see these things, the car was obviously rear ended like all the other crown vics
Old 10-04-2006, 11:16 PM

There was a recall for the "rear-end" explosions. I'm not sure if that solved the issue. I haven't heard of a CV explossion since the late 90's. Either way, getting hit by anything at that speed could be fatal. No excuse if Ford is selling an unsafe car. Again, I think that issue was addressed several years ago.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:43 AM
DTR Founder

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
Yes they are Rated the same, but the actual mileage that the car get in the real world is different. I'm only talking about 1-3 mpg difference that will of course add up in the long run saving the State's money.
We'll have to wait and see on that one. I can tell you that the one I drive manually calculates to better mileage than what it's rated for.

Ford has fased out there support with the CrownVics after 07 from what I have been reading, and been told. The HWY Patrol is getting the new Chargers to continue with there outdated cars program.
Again, not true. Ford isn't anywhere near phasing out support for the Crown Vic. There is more information then you could ever imagine on cvpi.com. Where are you getting your information here? They have absolutely not phased out their support on this vehicle.

Yes they are still running them in NC. But there are allot of states that have pushed the Camaro out because of higher maintenance and operating cost????? Why???
Again, what information do you have to show this? They're not phasing them out because of cost, they're phasing the Camaro out because its end of life. The newest one on the road is 4-5 years old now so they are getting to the point where ANY patrol car would be phased out and replaced. They won't be around for long, understandably.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:35 PM

I haven't read much about the CV and it's future. But there are plenty of them roaming the streets where I live. Still seems to be the police car of choice out here.

Quick Reply: Dodge Charger ?