Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Dodge Charger ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dodge Charger ?

Yesterday my wife and I stopped for lunch at a restaurant that we know the owners. When we pulled into the parking lot I saw Cololrado State Patrol motorcycle and a patrol car that looked like a Charger. The owner and I were talking to the Patrolmen and he was trying to get the Patrolman to race him in his Mustang. The Patrolman just smiled when I asked him if he thought his car was faster. He told us that he and another patrol car that was a Crown Vic, were comming up 8 Mile Hill. This hill is by my house and gains 1000 feet in elevation in those 8 miles with some moderate curves toward the top. They got side by side and got into it. The Patrolman in the Charger said it wasen't even a contest he beat the Crown Vic so bad. As we were leaving other people were pulling off the highway to look at the car and talk to the Patrolman. Very cool ride.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man....They've really changed those Chargers. My first car was a '74 Charger and it didn't look nothing like that. Did run fast enough though to get a speeding ticket or two Sometimes I wish I still had it.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:58 AM
Chapter President

I was up in OK last Friday and noticed that both the Bryan County sheriff's and the highway boys were driving them. Both were black and the HP had NO markings and blacked out windows.

I was talking with a Colorado HP a few years ago that went to HS with my wife. He said they liked the Mustangs for the quick acceleration, but used the Camero RT for higher speeds on the interstates. He said they had to be "certified" to drive either one of them on patrol. I don''t know about the RT, but I used to have a '90 Mustang GT convertible, and I can understand the certification for it. That little sucker was dangerous.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:36 PM

This site has some interesting reading.

http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/charger.html
Old 10-03-2006, 09:17 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The chargers are nice. I was over at NCSHP a while back and got to see one. Very nice setup. Here are some pictures of the NCSHP patrol cars...

http://www.nctroopers.com/nctroopers2_012.htm

There is also an unmarked on this page..

http://www.nctroopers.com/nctroopers2_007.htm
Old 10-03-2006, 10:12 PM

Ford has quit making the CrownVics!! The Charger is going into service because of its top end speed, acceleration, MPG's, Rear Drive, V8, and Cost Compared to the Vics! The Camaro has been pushed out by many departments because of the unreliable engines, and for some reason high cost to maintain???? !! The Charger is an extremely stable platform from DCX and the bang for the buck that the Departments are getting is a win win. They claim that the savings in Gas alone will help the Statewide Departments in the long run. We have a couple of the Chargers here in Davidson County, NC (Sheriff Hege County///Team 101 NO-DEALS !)!!
Old 10-03-2006, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by fschiola
Yesterday my wife and I stopped for lunch at a restaurant that we know the owners. When we pulled into the parking lot I saw Cololrado State Patrol motorcycle and a patrol car that looked like a Charger. The owner and I were talking to the Patrolmen and he was trying to get the Patrolman to race him in his Mustang. The Patrolman just smiled when I asked him if he thought his car was faster. He told us that he and another patrol car that was a Crown Vic, were comming up 8 Mile Hill. This hill is by my house and gains 1000 feet in elevation in those 8 miles with some moderate curves toward the top. They got side by side and got into it. The Patrolman in the Charger said it wasen't even a contest he beat the Crown Vic so bad. As we were leaving other people were pulling off the highway to look at the car and talk to the Patrolman. Very cool ride.

Those things look so cool, that I want one!! And I don't even have anything to do with being on a police force....
Old 10-04-2006, 08:05 AM
DTR Founder

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
Ford has quit making the CrownVics!!
This is not true. The Crown Victoria is still in production, and Ford has no plans on getting rid of it anytime soon. The CVPI is a huge source of revenue for Ford. They still dominate the market and will probably do so for quite some time. I see a lot of potential in the Charger, but don't count Ford out yet. Both vehicles have their place, just as the Caprice / CV did back in the 80's and 90's. Again, the CVPI is going to stay in production well into the future.

The Charger is going into service because of its top end speed, acceleration, MPG's, Rear Drive, V8, and Cost Compared to the Vics! The Camaro has been pushed out by many departments because of the unreliable engines, and for some reason high cost to maintain???? !!
I would say that this also isn't true. Having been around the NC Highway Patrol, knowing that they are still running Camaros, I had some conversations with them about that. Their answer is that they have had nothing but good luck with the Camaros. They are still running a few of them now, and plan on testing them again when they go back into production.

The Charger is an extremely stable platform from DCX and the bang for the buck that the Departments are getting is a win win. They claim that the savings in Gas alone will help the Statewide Departments in the long run. We have a couple of the Chargers here in Davidson County, NC (Sheriff Hege County///Team 101 NO-DEALS !)!!
I'm just wondering where you're getting your information. Both the CVPI and Charger are rated at the same mileage according to the EPA. 17 city and 25 highway. They show the fuel cost as exactly the same. Of course all of these are estimates.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
The chargers are nice. I was over at NCSHP a while back and got to see one. Very nice setup. Here are some pictures of the NCSHP patrol cars...

http://www.nctroopers.com/nctroopers2_012.htm

There is also an unmarked on this page..

http://www.nctroopers.com/nctroopers2_007.htm

Neat site Jack, I have never seen it before.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:46 AM
DTR Founder

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
Neat site Jack, I have never seen it before.
I found it about 7 or 8 months ago. I like the site too. They have a lot of good information on there. I wish they had a forum like this one though. I think they'd get a lot more traffic if they did.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:51 AM

I also doubt if they are having issues with the LS1 engines. They are much stronger than the Hemi engines and will take a bunch more power with stock internals before coming apart. We have several around here in the 10s in the 1/4 with stock shortblocks. The new Hemi engines are coming apart at the 500hp level in the trucks. The Crown Vics were 17 flat 1/4 mile vehicles even in police trim so I'm sure the Charger feels and runs way quicker since they dip into the 14s. All of my friends on the local forces around here really griped about having to give up there LT1 equipped Caprice cruisers for the slow Crown Vics.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by fschiola
Very cool ride.

I agree, very cool until it comes up behind with the lights on.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:09 AM

We've got a couple of the Chargers here in Greeville, theres an unmarked HP car with blacked-out windows, and I think the other one is the city police's Charger. Both Black, just like the ones on the the website that Jack posted. Very good looking cars, will suprise you if you're not paying attention.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Got to "play" with a Hemi-Charger last evening on the way home from work.
Black with a "Shaker scoop".
Hitting the on ramp for the interstate I glanced back and the driver looked "antsy".
Punched the Comp to level 4X4 (I hooked the pump wire back up last weekend).
The road ahead was clear of traffic for about a mile.
He jumped to the left lane to pass and I heard his throttle body go into GULP mode just as I hit the throttle, stayed even with his passenger door, no gain - no loss up to 80 when I got out of the throttle.
Not too shabby for a 7,000+ lb truck.
Thick haze behind me but no dark cloud of smoke.
The HR-VP combined with the Comp is a ball.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoleman
I also doubt if they are having issues with the LS1 engines. They are much stronger than the Hemi engines and will take a bunch more power with stock internals before coming apart. We have several around here in the 10s in the 1/4 with stock shortblocks. The new Hemi engines are coming apart at the 500hp level in the trucks.
I'd like to hear more about this, I have a friend with a 500+ hemi

Quick Reply: Dodge Charger ?