Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Dilemma- need advice from experienced individuals from both sides of the coin

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dilemma- need advice from experienced individuals from both sides of the coin

By both sides of the coin I mean white and blue-collar workers. I am an 18 year old college student currently on a paid scholarship to Rutgers University. I am also the son of a 35 year veteran to the transmission rebuilding industry and as a result am around cars installing transmissions or rebuilting them whenever i am not in class. The university has had much debate over merging with Rowan university in hopes to expand their medical program at Rowan. I chose Rutgers because of their excellent facilities and famous professors and the two law schools present on campus are some of the top law schools in the country. The merger is alleged to pass as of July 1st of this year, and as a result the professors with tenure would transfer to the other two Rutgers campuses and the Camden campus would be no more. I would not be able to transfer, my paid scholarship would not be transferrable and the cost of attendance at another university local to me would almost double. Here is my dilemma: I am smart and do quite well when i apply myself to the field of political science, but I am also becoming increasingly good at rebuilding transmissions and installing them and general automotive repair. My father has shown me his secrets and with the shop coming to its first full year of operation since my father's surgery, the flow of money is starting to show itself and the investment is paying off. It has become increasingly difficult to divide my time between the two fields and I am unsure of how i should proceed. I enjoy the automotive industry and can work on cars all day long. I would not drop out of college and go work on cars, but rather i would continue my education at a Technical school the following semester. Does anyone have any experience or advice they could share? Thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if this will help or not, but I'd want something to fall back on. Not that I'm any college academic, but you never know where life will take you, and a degree in something you like and is totally unrelated to tranny rebuilding may be beneficial to you in the future.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I agree with Scott, you can always fall back on the auto work....as far as your paid scholarship is that paid by you or the School? Reason I ask is I am not 100% certain it would be legal for them to close that Campus and tell you you can't transfer.......sounds like time to consult a Attorney......
Old 05-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I have been mechanic 42 years, I received a full schlorship to college in 1970 but I dropped out after just two years. I have regretted doing that ever since. Get your degree now while you are still young because later will never come.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
If you want an education badly enough, you will find a way to get it.

I would get the degree. You never know where we are actually going!! You can always get a tranny shop job. You cannot always apply for the positions that require the appropriate degree.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:48 PM

To me, the question is, what do you ENJOY doing? If you ENJOY political science, then go ahead and pursue that degree. I ask that because you said "I am smart and do quite well when i apply myself to the field of political science". That doesn't necessarily read to me that you enjoy it.

Do something you love and you will never work a day in your life.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I agree with Scott, you can always fall back on the auto work....as far as your paid scholarship is that paid by you or the School? Reason I ask is I am not 100% certain it would be legal for them to close that Campus and tell you you can't transfer.......sounds like time to consult a Attorney......
Paid by Rutgers/the state of NJ. It would only be partial tuition because the price of attendance is higher in New Brunswick due to the large volume of students in attendance.

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
To me, the question is, what do you ENJOY doing? If you ENJOY political science, then go ahead and pursue that degree. I ask that because you said "I am smart and do quite well when i apply myself to the field of political science". That doesn't necessarily read to me that you enjoy it.

Do something you love and you will never work a day in your life.
This is also a problem. I enjoy automobile service much more than i enjoy my classes right now. I am a hands on, practical application type of person and each day i work i take away something new as well as a paycheck.

My father is teaching me so that I can one day take over the business.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:54 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

If your on paid scholarship program to Rutgers, get the degree! Simple as that...
Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mopar1973
... I enjoy automobile service much more than i enjoy my classes right now.
That's the key right there; "right now". What you like today might not be what you like in 20 or 30 years. Having something to fall back on isn't just in case what you're doing is no longer needed, or a business goes under, or you otherwise find yourself unemployed. It's also in case you get bored with what you're doing and want a change. A college education will benefit you even if what you majored in isn't what you're going to do, now or in the future.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Never stop your education, that being said, just how many more Politicians can we afford, and what are your job opportunities as a Politician when the inevitable bubble bursts?

I would see what it would take to transfer to a more relevant degree such as accounting or management. This will help you as you transition to owning your own business.

We have a dearth of technically able people, not so much ones that think they should be able to direct the technically able.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:06 AM

I would like to continue the education, as my parents have worked so hard to get to where they are without college degrees, and their lifes ambition was to see me attend college. I would like a business-minded education to back up the company one day if it continues to grow like it has in the past year. A politician would not be my goal, but a corporate attorney or contract law is my choice.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
If your on paid scholarship program to Rutgers, get the degree! Simple as that...

It is only paid as long as the school itself is still present. I am speculating my options as to if and when Rutgers Camden decides to close.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Get the degree while you can. You have an opportunity-- a very valuable one-- that not many people get.

Unless you're name is Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, dropping out of college usually does not lead to prosperity long term.

Most of us that have chosen the other route have regretted it.

A wise man learns from his mistakes and a wiser man learns from the mistakes of others.

You have shown some of that wisdom by seeking advice from others and regardless of your decision, I commend you for thinking seriously about this and asking for help.

I wish for you a bright future!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:26 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Go ahead and continue your education.....trust me, it's well worth it to fall back on should a tranny ever fall and sever your arm....God, let's hope that never happens!! Still, get your education!!! I recieved a Bachelors in Animal Science......and I'm currently testing parts for Alcoa Fastening Systems . But, I have my degree that maybe someday I might use.

However, I am in the process of going back to school, again, to do what............DIESEL EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGY. Hey, from childhood on that's all I knew. Had I have had my head screwed on straight and not followed my girlfriend to college....for the love of all things.....don't ever do that....I would already have my DIESEL degree and be doing something that I truly love.

Now, ask yourself.....do you truly love political science or building something that puts power to the ground? Only you can answer that but just remember, most folks will look at you differently if they know you have a degree of some sort......TRUST ME...it tells them that you're capable of learning....and that's what's important!!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jhenson
... just remember, most folks will look at you differently if they know you have a degree of some sort......TRUST ME...it tells them that you're capable of learning....
Yes, and that you're capable of seeing something thru to the end too. Not to mention a law degree wouldn't be a bad thing to have as the owner of a company, especially a company that MAKES things. Product liability is a big issue and only getting bigger.

Quick Reply: Dilemma- need advice from experienced individuals from both sides of the coin