Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Cracked Dash

Old 06-25-2004, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cracked Dash

Just bought my truck and it is flawless except for the dash which is cracked in many places. What I would like to know is can the top shell be replaced without major problems. My truck is a 2001 dodge turbo diesel 2500 SLT. If someone has done a replacement can you give me some idea of the cost of the shell?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2004, 11:43 AM

I'd like to know too... I have my '99 gasser for sale and I feel the cracked dash is taking away from an otherwise very clean truck as every potential buyer has noticed it. I'm not the kind of guy to just hide it with a dashmat and hope nobody notices...
Old 06-26-2004, 12:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
cracked dash

I have a 2001 also and my dash is cracked too. I don't know what is causing it.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The FSM makes it sound pretty easy, but you do have to remove the passenger side airbag. Here's the instructions:

INSTRUMENT PANEL TOP COVER REMOVAL

(1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
(2) Remove the cluster bezel from the instrument panel. (Refer to 23-BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/CLUSTER BEZEL - REMOVAL).
(3) Remove the passenger airbag from the instrument panel. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS/
PASSENGER AIRBAG - REMOVAL).
(4) Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.(Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL-REMOVAL).
(5) Place the instrument panel on a suitable work surface. Be certain to take the proper precautions to protect the instrument panel from any possible cosmetic damage.
(6) Remove the screws around the perimeter of the top cover that secure it to the instrument panel structural support, the defroster duct, and the demister ducts.
(7) Lift the top cover off of the instrument panel.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:17 AM
Chapter President

I stopped the cracks on my dash by finger drilling a very small hole at the end of the crack before it spread very far.

I have a lot of dust inside my instrument cluster. How do you take the panel off too clean it?

CR
Old 06-26-2004, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by crobtex
I stopped the cracks on my dash by finger drilling a very small hole at the end of the crack before it spread very far.

I have a lot of dust inside my instrument cluster. How do you take the panel off too clean it?

CR
The section that covers removal and disassembly of the instrument cluster goes on for several pages, too much to cut and paste, plus it has illustrations. I can print it to .pdf and e-mail it to you if you want, just PM me your e-mail address.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by crobtex

CR
Piece of cake... 10-15 minute job, tops. Start by removing the black face panel... tilt the wheel all the way down, put the tranny in low (1) drop your cup holder into the down position... slowly remove the panel by pulling on it... it's just snapped in so pull firm, but use caution not to break the panel. I start right above the cup holder and work my way around it. From there, remove the clear cover over the gauges by removing all the screws... Then you can use compressed air or a clean, slightly damp rag to remove the dust... might use caution to not touch the gauge needles, not sure if you can damage them on these trucks, but I know that on other cars it can throw off the accuracy (besides, who wants a bent/broken needle anyways?). Clean the inside of the clear plastic, reassemble and voila! You're done.

BTW, this is the procedure for the 2nd gen trucks... not sure about the 3rd gen... haven't had to do that one yet!