Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   Deep Frying a Turkey (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/deep-frying-turkey-124379/)

TOMTOM 11-19-2006 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy (Post 1215023)
I dont think I will ever cook another in the oven the flavor you can get and the moist meat makes for some kick in the butt cold turkey samiches

YEA! WHAT HE SAID. FRY IT!!!

Maui Steve 11-19-2006 04:15 PM

Can the "Peanut Oil" be used more than once? if you filter it after it cools?or is it 1 and done?[duhhh] "Happy Thanksgiving"

madhat 11-19-2006 05:02 PM

I've used the peanut oil 2-3 times. If it looks like crap, don't use it again. Then pour it in your fuel tank. (Just kidding...)

Maui Steve 11-19-2006 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by madhat (Post 1215760)
I've used the peanut oil 2-3 times. If it looks like crap, don't use it again. Then pour it in your fuel tank. (Just kidding...)

We justed moved out to the Country,I've learned from my neighbors "OLD" oil is used to keep the dust down[duhhh]

if your the guy that lost his dog I hope you get him back,we just lost ours to a short illness ,she just turned 12, God's Gift to us,Man does it Hurt,I Loved her more than words can say.

Thank-you for the Service to our Country. Happy Thanksgiving

DodgeCowboy 11-19-2006 10:06 PM

Hey look another ORygunian. You can get away with a couple times like MadHat said but if you do any type of fish its usless to use again

Bonshawman 11-20-2006 05:24 AM

We have a "China Box" which we use for pig roasts. Last time we did a 90# pig - rubbed pepper & salt, injected marinade all over. The pig cost us just over $100, so we fed our group for around $1.00 each ! A "China Box" is a wooden box (looks like a trunk on legs), with a stainless liner, and a stainless lid, upon which the charcoal sits. You place the pig (or up to 4 turkeys) after prep on a rack "belly up". Place the rack down in the box. Put the lid on. Dependent upon weight, add charcaol, and keep adding charcoal at specified times. Beware- the smell will attract every living thing that eats meat ! About one hour before done, sift off the charcoal, lift the lid, pick up the meat and rotate, re-lid, re-charcoal. Of course, with a 90# pig, it took several of us to wrestle it around. Rotation makes the skin crispy. The pig came out moist, with crisp skin, well-cooked throughout with a marvelous taste - melt in the mouth. Because the meat sits in the stainless "tub", no mositure can escape. This is similar to a traditional pit pig roast, but "cleaner".

We fed over 100 people. We have previously deep fried turkeys, and all of the advice already given here will "git 'er done". At our campground, in the middle of Florida, it is mild enough to eat outside, so we'll have a long table to feed about 60+ people - with all the home made fixin's, out under the trees, with some wood fires going, just as dusk sets in - kind of gets all the senses goin'.

You all have a safe holiday and be careful if you're out on the road.

Maui Steve 11-20-2006 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bonshawman (Post 1216441)
We have a "China Box" which we use for pig roasts. Last time we did a 90# pig - rubbed pepper & salt, injected marinade all over. The pig cost us just over $100, so we fed our group for around $1.00 each ! A "China Box" is a wooden box (looks like a trunk on legs), with a stainless liner, and a stainless lid, upon which the charcoal sits. You place the pig (or up to 4 turkeys) after prep on a rack "belly up". Place the rack down in the box. Put the lid on. Dependent upon weight, add charcaol, and keep adding charcoal at specified times. Beware- the smell will attract every living thing that eats meat ! About one hour before done, sift off the charcoal, lift the lid, pick up the meat and rotate, re-lid, re-charcoal. Of course, with a 90# pig, it took several of us to wrestle it around. Rotation makes the skin crispy. The pig came out moist, with crisp skin, well-cooked throughout with a marvelous taste - melt in the mouth. Because the meat sits in the stainless "tub", no mositure can escape. This is similar to a traditional pit pig roast, but "cleaner".

We fed over 100 people. We have previously deep fried turkeys, and all of the advice already given here will "git 'er done". At our campground, in the middle of Florida, it is mild enough to eat outside, so we'll have a long table to feed about 60+ people - with all the home made fixin's, out under the trees, with some wood fires going, just as dusk sets in - kind of gets all the senses goin'.

You all have a safe holiday and be careful if you're out on the road.

Sounds Good I have Friends in Lake Placid,Fla (south fla) they showed me how they do "Garbage Can" Turkey where they take a Galvanized garbage can and set a turkey off the ground on wood steaks (about 6 ") cover it with the can ,surround the outside bottom and top with coals and it was done in about 1.5 hrs it was amazing,and it was very tasty [guitar] I wouldn't have believed it ,but I was there to eat it[guitar] [guitar]