Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   Cruisin' with cruise control... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/cruisin-cruise-control-129771/)

satburn 12-29-2006 11:20 AM

Cruisin' with cruise control...

Alright so I'm driving the Honda CRV (sorry) down the highway and the wifey asks "Why don't you use the cruise control?". [eyecrazy] What? Why? "Because it's easy and you don't have to watch your speed." But this isn't the interstate honey, it's a two lane highway...

So this got me thinking, how many of you guys (and gals) out there use it? Me, I only use it on the interstate because I hate seeing the "less horsey" vehicles play the transmission-throttle-cable-tug-of-war and rev 4 grand for the sake of 3 mph. That and I KNOW I get better fuel mileage with it off.

tool 12-29-2006 12:00 PM

After too many interviews with the smokies and their disco lights......

I figure speeding ticket$$$ are fetting expensive so I try to use the cruise more so I don't get rollin' to fast with all the Cummins power. Just takes longer to get their :(

RustyJC 12-29-2006 12:06 PM

I use cruise control on our other vehicles (i.e., Durango, Acura TL-S, BMW motorcycle :o ) when I'm on the open road. I seldom use it in the 3500, however, since it's almost always towing our 5th wheel.

Rusty

TxDiesel007 12-29-2006 12:06 PM

WHen it was workin on my truck

I used to use it on the highways and interstates on longer trips, i love cruise control and hope to get it fixed again soon...

Rick

dieselfan 12-29-2006 12:42 PM

i use to use my cruise before i got a smarty. its to aggravating now.
i rather have my smarty over cruise[duhhh].

signature600 12-29-2006 01:02 PM

I find it easier to use the cruise on most roads, except for rural backroads. The Cummins likes to run away with me if I don't watch it pretty close:D

Chris

madhat 12-29-2006 01:37 PM

I use it on interstates, and big highways. Not in town.

Tiny 12-29-2006 01:43 PM

Not in town, but most everywhere I can get away with it, it will be on.

G1625S 12-29-2006 03:18 PM

I wedge my boot between the pedal and the tranny tunnel---does that count? [laugh]

smokindog 12-29-2006 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by dieselfan (Post 1272609)
i use to use my cruise before i got a smarty. its to aggravating now.
i rather have my smarty over cruise[duhhh].

I don't get much surging with SW #5 when I use the cruise. On SW #9 it's another story altogether. [eyecrazy] [eyecrazy] [eyecrazy]

Lately I have been cruising with SW #1 the fuel saver! [coffee]

dieselfan 12-29-2006 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by smokindog (Post 1272807)
I don't get much surging with SW #5 when I use the cruise. On SW #9 it's another story altogether. [eyecrazy] [eyecrazy] [eyecrazy]

Lately I have been cruising with SW #1 the fuel saver! [coffee]

i get it on SW#1,5,7,9. i just dont like seeing my pyro varying 100 degrees on flat ground and watching my rpm s going back and forth.
Still love my Smarty!

Teddy Bear 12-29-2006 05:55 PM

Since i am a paraplegic and my throttle and brake are hand operated, i use my cruise control as much as possible.

MJDiesel 12-29-2006 06:10 PM

Any road that is paved and is not in town. I cannot think of any of my normal town driving which I could even use cruise for. Oh yeah, I also do not use it when roads are slick!

FirstDodge 12-29-2006 06:11 PM

I usually use the cruise on the highways and interstate. Sometimes I don't use it when I am pulliing heavy loads.

Keeps me from getting tickets :D

Geico266 12-29-2006 06:12 PM

NEVER USE CRUISE ON WET, SNOWY, ICEY, OR SLIPPERY ROADS!

The cruise will tell the motor to speed up when the tires break loose. Every year we have dozens of people killed here in Nebraska on I80 from that very same thing. DOT is thinking a bout requiring a device to shut the cruise off if it is raining or snowing. They had them on some vehicles, but they were unreliable.

Be careful out there!